[Staff][Dev] MaxEngine & TinyQuest

Here you can find side projects of the staff and great projects which we think should get extra support. (Note that featured projects are not projects by staff members of MaxCoderz)

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

[Staff][Dev] MaxEngine & TinyQuest

Post by kv83 »

Title: MaxEngine
Description:
An engine to ease 2D game programming. The engine is currently based on tilemapped maps and objects for all characters. It will be developed parallel to TinyQuest.

Title: TinyQuest
Description:
TinyQuest is based on ideas which are part of the 300 project by squidi. It will also use the graphics provided by squidi (and others) aswell under a cc-license.

I will toss in a lot of own ideas into the mix to make it more like I want it and unique. For starters the point-of-view will be top-down, which always fits better to an RPG than side-view.

In short TinyQuest will be a sim-like game. Adventurers will be running around, picking up quests, leveling & gearing up, exploring new terretories and so on. The game will most likely be multiplayer, so that you can connect with your friends to let adventurers group up (or even PvP!). There will be a limit of how many adventurers are actually available. The player won't have direct control over the adventurers, but can do that indirective like "hinting" the way they should spec (mage-talents for example), what items they should look for, what attacks they should use and so on. The game will be expandable, meaning that after it's "finished" it will get expansions for new content. In certain ways it might be a little connected to the new Final Fantasy on the Wii (which I never played, but I read some articles after I started on this). So similiaritys are coincedences :).

The game will be a little slow-paced, because it is meant to run in the background while surfing and doing other things. Not sure yet which direction I'll go, but the fact that I limit the screensize should give you an indication. Just think of it as a "virtual pet", just more deep and rpg-ish I guess.

Progress
At the moment the engine supports map-reading, controlling different characters over different maps at the same time, collision detections between objects and objects / objects and map, animations, waypoints and so on.

The game doesn't do a lot yet, but as a test I created two skeletons which use a waypoint system to move. If they collide the game exits. Next step will be to let those two skeletons fight if they collide.

Screenshots
A screenshot of an early build

Open Source
Both MaxEngine and TinyQuest are opensource. Both are written in C# XNA. You can track the project on
https://sourceforge.net/projects/maxengine
You can also download an early build seen in the screenshot to try out or compile the latest build yourself :)
Oh, and the code might be a bit sluggish... But that's the price of looking at opensource c# :P

As soon as the game/engine progress more it will gets it own forum of course.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Some slick looking tiles and the idea sounds great! I love 2D multiplayer games, they are just more fun :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Looking interesting, and I'm glad to see you're still programming. :)
...it is meant to run in the background while surfing and doing other things.
I wonder how well it could work as a Sidebar gadget?
ISUCK
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by ISUCK »

Looks nice! I'm doing some C# XNA stuff as well, although it's for my zune, so I'm looking forward to seeing this progress!
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

screenie doesn't work.
Image Image Image
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Liazon wrote:screenie doesn't work.
It does work here.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

nice! that is really impressive!
Image Image Image
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Dont disappoint kv!
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

I've been working on this for the last few days. As stated the next thing I wanted to work on is to let those two skelletons go in an new "instance" of a battleground to fight each other

As you can see in the image I did that. Also note that they have a bar below them. This bar shows how much energy the character has. Energy determines if it can use a certain ability. Energy is filled based on the speed. The higher the speed of a character, the more fast it will fill up. Powerfull abilities will use a lot of energy, smaller ones will use less. There will be two more bars, Health and Mana (the classic ones). Spells and other magical abilities will use mana. The mana bar will not fill up during a fight automaticly, unlike energy.

Think of the energy bar like another way of a cooldown for certain abilities.

The exclamation mark you see in the right-top corner indicates that a new battle is fought. If you click on it, it will go directly to the battle. This way you can switch between several battles or zoom in fast to a battle happening somewhere else in the game. The icon will propably change (would love a shield with a sword, but way to bad in pixelart).

Next on the todo is to program the acutal fight. Right now they don't have really much stats, but it should work for starters. They have HP, Strength and Speed. After that i'll work on a first dungeon map and on the town-systen where the adventurer's will pick up quests and rest anf stuff.
Last edited by kv83 on Fri 06 Jun, 2008 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Looking good. :)