[Staff] TIWiFiModem: Take your TI-83 Plus online

Here you can find side projects of the staff and great projects which we think should get extra support. (Note that featured projects are not projects by staff members of MaxCoderz)

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

[Staff] TIWiFiModem: Take your TI-83 Plus online

Post by benryves »

Ever since I first saw Telnet83+ I was intrigued with the idea of taking a calculator online, but never had the equipment (dial-up modem, phone line and "graylink" serial cable) to make it all work.

Fortunately you can now get inexpensive WiFi-enabled microcontroller modules and there are several projects that take these and turn them into "modems" for old computers, allowing you to connect them to the modern Internet.

I took one of these projects, RetroWiFiModem, and replaced the code that spoke to a RS-232 serial port with code that spoke to the calculator's native link protocol. The result is the TIWiFiModem.

To go along with the modem project I have also included an updated version of Telnet83+ which contains a few bug fixes and enhancements (and is also a few thousand bytes smaller).

Here's a video demonstration of taking the calculator online:

If you're interested in building one yourself, or downloading the updated Telnet83+, please see the project's Github page.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Re: [Staff] TIWiFiModem: Take your TI-83 Plus online

Post by tr1p1ea »

I had missed this, amazing work! I will absolutely have to try this out myself.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Cheers, tr1p1ea! It's mostly putting together a few bits and pieces other people had already written, but I'd always wanted to play with getting a calculator online. :)
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

I so badly want to use this and hang out in IRC for a bit, just to get a feel for how crazy it would be.
ImageImage