[Featured][Dev] Zelda (Best Project 2005)

Here you can find side projects of the staff and great projects which we think should get extra support. (Note that featured projects are not projects by staff members of MaxCoderz)

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Jim e wrote:Please don't release a demo, make these guys wait, be the tease that you are and stick to screenies. :twisted:

Ignore him. Image A demo/public Beta would be great! Image Or maybe more beta testers allowed. Image Image

Uhh, on a side note, while I do very much appreciate the nice work done on our smilies, could we get a few more? Maybe some more varieties? :mrgreen:
Last edited by CompWiz on Fri 17 Feb, 2006 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

40 minutes is okay, but the real zelda games took a few hours. Lets let spencer release the product as it was intended to be released.

Oh and I made these sometime ago because it was fun. But i don't think mc guys take em cause they didn't make em.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

I think I should delete that overkill smilie.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Jim e wrote:I think I should delete that overkill smilie.
Too late, I just hosted it on another site. :twisted: You can't get rid of it now. :P
Jim e wrote:Oh and I made these sometime ago because it was fun. But i don't think mc guys take em cause they didn't make em.
While I can't speak for the staff, I don't see why they wouldn't accept them. Any mods want to comment?
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

CompWiz wrote:
Jim e wrote:I think I should delete that overkill smilie.
Too late, I just hosted it on another site. :twisted: You can't get rid of it now. :P
Jim e wrote:Oh and I made these sometime ago because it was fun. But i don't think mc guys take em cause they didn't make em.
While I can't speak for the staff, I don't see why they wouldn't accept them. Any mods want to comment?
Because we have no FTP rights :roll: Only sic can do that
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I had already done the angry guy and the rofl, but i decided not to include them with the original set. Im sure when sic gets back we will be able to add Jim e's ones in :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Spencer wrote:Now that Zelda assembles instantly, development's a lot easier. How long it'll take to finish depends on how long of game it needs to be! Right now there is certainly enough to release, more than any other Zelda attempt (granted, mine's the first APP version). But I'd like to make it a bit longer than forty minutes.

I'll release the assembler to whomever is tired of waiting for slow assemblies. (It should be entirely compatible with TASM, except for my interpretation of .org being very different -- imo you write null bytes to the IP with .fill or .block, not with .org). Recently I added support into the #include preprocess for binary and bitmap files. It'll figure out file type. This is beneficial since reading straight from a bitmap or binary is faster than parsing text data. However, I don't have any plans for supporting grayscale or compression, since that depends on the programmer's implementation.
Longer than 40 minutes? How about impossible? :wink:
In the last temple where you need to recover a lost item, have the puzzle be this:
"What is 1+1?"
When the user types in 2, the answer spits out:
"That's too obvious isn't it?" and deny passage.
When they type 11
"Since when did 1+1 ever equal to 11?"
And so on.. and so on... so it makes it impossible to finish the game :twisted:
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Only let them win when they answer 10. :)
ImageImage
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

It's obviously 3. 1*2^1+1*2^0=3. Learn your binary. Or perhaps it is 17, Mr. Hexadecimal.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

so...what is the run down? How many levels are planned, how many enemies, what items...how far are you, whats left to do, how much memory you have used, etc.
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Shhhh! TBA! :) I think he's almost done with the coding and all that's left is the maps, story, etc.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
gangsta
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by gangsta »

wow. Just looked through the thread again, because i haven't really looked at it since the beginning of the year. this game is looking really good.
Spencer
Extreme Poster

Post by Spencer »

I don't post much just talking about the game, but I thought I should just this once.
Wow, I was looking at Heald's Zelda's page, he put a lot of work into his game. A lot was done that he never released in his demo (hookshot, power gloves, pegasus boots, etc).

I want to state that his approach is completely different from mine. While you all may be hoping for a dozen items, I'm probably only doing four. The thing is, I'm not doing them half-assed or rushed, all of the puzzles will be related to the few items that you do get. The difference in philosophy: I designed the game engine around the dungeons. The first dungeon was ready back when all you could do was swing the sword on a checkerboard map (I'm sure some of you remember those shots).

Hopefully some of these puzzles I've cooked up will have you stumped! I don't believe the calculator has the screen for an action game. I do believe that it's great for exploration, where you can stop the blurry movement and look at something interesting. But don't worry, this doesn't mean there's no action -- all of the boss fights lock the screen for good visibility in a traditional style find-the-weakness boss fight (you'll just have to put up with the blur :P).

Now that the tools I need are done, it's time to get back to work. :)
NanoWar
Extreme Poster

Post by NanoWar »

Spencer wrote:Now that the tools I need are done, it's time to get back to work. :)
Finally :mrgreen: 8) !
Revolution Software
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Sounds great, I still know this is going to be great even with less items. I never seen Sams zelda page though. Good luck and I hope you get to finish you game! :P
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

I always liked the exploring in Zelda more than the fighting... unlike in other games, when you fight in Zelda you don't achieve much... you can finish the game faster when just avoiding enemies :P

I'm eagerly awaiting your game and I also request a walkthrough right away ;)