[Featured][Dev] Zelda (Best Project 2005)

Here you can find side projects of the staff and great projects which we think should get extra support. (Note that featured projects are not projects by staff members of MaxCoderz)

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Spencer
Extreme Poster

Post by Spencer »

Happy to report that Zelda assembled in just under two seconds. Apparently nobody's tried making an efficient assembler before! The error system still sucks (gives you line numbers but not file names), but honestly, since TASM was generating millions of pointless unmaskable errors anyways, this is much better.
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

uh oh, does BRASS have some competition?
Stickmanofdoom

Post by Stickmanofdoom »

Sounds promising! When are you planning to release a public version?
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Spencer wrote:Apparently nobody's tried making an efficient assembler before!
Tried, maybe... success, maybe not. ;)
I don't do anything special, just dump opcodes/labels/macros into a hash table. The slowness of Brass is because of the macro preprocessor.
Hmmm....Brass added Defpage directive.... does that work for intel hex?
Should do, but I'm not sure how bug-free it is. (It's early days!). I'm more familiar with the (much simpler) mapper on the SMS so will "practice" with that; Gambit's sent me a whole bunch of useful stuff to do with the 83+ app format so hopefully Brass will output straight to 8xk.
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Happy to report that Zelda assembled in just under two seconds.
* imagines assemblying a file instantly *

That dungeon is hard. The puzzles are super cool though.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

benryves wrote:
Hmmm....Brass added Defpage directive.... does that work for intel hex?
Should do, but I'm not sure how bug-free it is. (It's early days!). I'm more familiar with the (much simpler) mapper on the SMS so will "practice" with that; Gambit's sent me a whole bunch of useful stuff to do with the 83+ app format so hopefully Brass will output straight to 8xk.
Nice! I give it try later.

Now it's a race between the 2 of you. Let's see who finishes the dream assembler first!!!

Unmark....
Get Set....
CODE!!!!
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Has anyone thought of integrating an assembler into PTI? I've been playing with the thought myself. ;) Just imagine, the whole building cycle would consist of nothing but sending your main source file to the emulator. No stupid dependencies and directory structures or whatever, just a single independent standalone taking care of everything. Mmmm...
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

o .... m .... g .... !

I dont know if this universe would enable such an awesome combination to exist.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Single standalone taking care of everything, Don't make my life to easy man. :lol:
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Nice, you guys are just improving everything now aren't you!
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

CoBB wrote:Has anyone thought of integrating an assembler into PTI? I've been playing with the thought myself. ;) Just imagine, the whole building cycle would consist of nothing but sending your main source file to the emulator. No stupid dependencies and directory structures or whatever, just a single independent standalone taking care of everything. Mmmm...
Do you mean the ability to just hit "Build" then "Run" and it sends your file straight to PTI (with Ion or Mirage if they are dependencies) and executes it? Because that would be awesome. Perhaps such a thing could be integrated into Latenite?

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

@CoBB: Why don't you make it? Afraid Spencer's or Ben's will be better? ;)
Anyway, I think Latenite with Brass and PTI "integrated" would be better for my purposes. So it doesn't really matter if Brass compiles my code or Latenite, as long as it gets compiled and runs :)
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

It's Ben's turn to improve integration now, let's wait for him to cook up your new dream environment. :)

Since Spencer's assembler is a C program just like PTI, I don't think a marriage would pose too much technical difficulty. Of course, I might write my own assembler just for the fun of it. :lol: (To be honest, it's been a recurring thought for years, but since TASM always worked for me, I never had real motivation to realise it.) But this is really just a vague idea, there are much more important things to do first.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

CoBB wrote:It's Ben's turn to improve integration now, let's wait for him to cook up your new dream environment. :)
Sadly, I'm not Superman, and I do have a job, and the integration part is fairly massive and is (comparatively) difficult to develop, so bear with me. :)
Spencer
Extreme Poster

Post by Spencer »

I'm no IDE maker :wink:, that's up to Ben. I've got a little ways to go before mine is "user friendly" and completely compatible with TASM (I'm mostly lacking in the directive area).
As for integrating, the output functions are generalized (in order to support varying methods ... hex, binary, binary + list file, etc), so it would be very reasonable to just hand it a pointer to a function which writes to a provided buffer in addition to a file. I'll work towards making a general and consistent error system, as well :P.