Next version of xLIB - features?

Moderator: tr1p1ea

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

The elements are all stored as 72-bit (plus exponent and stuff) BCD floating point, which is why they use decimals for collision detection and events.

Im not so sure that using decimals for collision detection is such a great idea. It seems like it would be slower than the old if tile < bleh method?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

I refuse to believe that there isn't a way to force backwards compatibilty. Just making seperate routines would suffice no?

Using flags or offering up bits to give some other information can be really useful, but its all dependant on there being a tool to set said flags. Being that this is basic I beileve people would want on calc editors. So in other words you would need to make a map and sprite editor thats more advanced that whats currently availible to asm coders and have it on calc. Good Luck!

If you want to be really leet then you could create a special routine that creates a matrix format inside an appvar, that way basic coders can set flags and read numbers while not using 9 bytes. Say you could give them 2 byte signed number plus 8 flags. That should satisfy their needs while cuting the mem cost into a third of what it was. Or even better let them define the structure of the data. Hehe matrix[8][8].tile and matrix[8][8].enemy ha fun! Let them divi up the bits and you do all the work.
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

tr1p1ea wrote:The elements are all stored as 72-bit (plus exponent and stuff) BCD floating point, which is why they use decimals for collision detection and events.

Im not so sure that using decimals for collision detection is such a great idea. It seems like it would be slower than the old if tile < bleh method?
Collision detection is one thing; but decimals are also necessary for storing stats, health, magic points, shield, etc. In a game with only one or a few units in play, it would be fine to store those things in a separate list for each character, but in a strategy game like BSG it is by far more efficient to store stats for each unit with the unit's number in the map data.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

This is getting complicated pretty fast. maybe support the new map as real(15?
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

This is all well and good, but i dont want this to become a multipage app, and i dont have much coding space left. Now do you see where im coming from?
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

hmm, well, I guess it doesnt seem that important then. what does everyone else think?
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

tr1p1ea wrote:This is all well and good, but i dont want this to become a multipage app, and i dont have much coding space left. Now do you see where im coming from?
A linking routine would surfice my needs :P.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I might see if i can implement maybe a CLAP routine in there ... but i feel that it will suffer the same fate as the DI Input routine.

Also with creating custom formats and such it makes it increasingly difficult for those begginers out there to get into it. I dont want to alienate them, as they are one of the reasons xLIB exists.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Oh you don't want to alienate them. Then ignore everything I have said or will say.

Was a call routine ever implemented?
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

YES! Call routine is a good idea. And linking.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I dont think i will ignore everything you have to say haha :).

I will most likely be rewriting half of xLIB, so its possible that space will be freed up.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Possibly even MORE custom pic variables that are of variable size?
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

custom vars file for storage purposes...like you name a set of vars ([A],A, B, C, D, L1, ListSave, Pic1, String5, String2, Y=1) and a asm prog for it, and the current vars are all loaded into that asm file. Just type a little command to snag all the mem back out and either keep the file as is, or delete it...if you would end up having a save for a pre-existing file, it would just prompt "over write programBLAHBLAH", yes/no
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Local variables? Too much. But make variable sized bitmaps that we can scroll across, that would rock.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

You can already scroll larger images by breaking them into full-screen sections. Then you can just use sprites: