Next version of xLIB - features?

Moderator: tr1p1ea

dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Nor do I remember her naked during the movie, but there's plenty of pics of that on the web as well ;)

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Not sure if you are aware of this, but there is a thread on omni about the freatures.

Personally, I would love to see a execute function such as what omnicalc had. But it would be cool to have plugins, where one could add the link program if they wanted. Hmm, that wouldn't work so well though...since instead of it going through Asm() it would have to go through xlib first then Asm(), unless it was sitting in ram? Idk, I would like to see a link routine added asap though :P..so I can finish something I have been working on >.> . Glad to see you wanted to expand it a little more.
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

I would really like the ability to flip an entire picture with the real(3 command (like real(3,Pic_Num,Method,Flip,Update_LCD)
ImageImage
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

I was also thinking of level compression, where one would have a list that has the compression format and it would be an option to decompress it. Like when you do Real(2 for a tile map, 0 would be nothing, and 1 would make it convert the list into a matric and then load the matric into the map.

I have been working on compression in my games lately and found that I am getting greater compression percentages with my way over RLE. Also I think it would be great just having any type of compression, where the user would have to run a program to convert the matric into a compressed list and xLIB would decompress it (did I make any sense?).
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I can easily implement PIC flipping, so thats no major problem.

Ive been thinking about compression and i would very much like to include something.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

About the plugin idea, well it would be useful if you wanted to use developer tools like matric compression. Other than that, it would be kinda pointless since it would be slower than that of Asm() unless copied into memory? Glad that you want to add compression, as I am getting amazing results....but it is a little slow on loading. It takes about 9 seconds to load each map (from compressed), but I compressed 83% of the original level size. It would be great in asm though, since it would be very fast.
chickendude
Extreme Poster

Post by chickendude »

!! How did you compress it so much?! Wow, maybe I need to read up.
merthsoft
Extreme Poster

Post by merthsoft »

So, tr1p, are you reworking it? I've been meaning to ask you, but can't seem to get you on IRC... I want to know how much syntax will change before starting anything...
Shaun
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

It most likely wont change at all, except for maybe a few little functions.

But i wont be reworking things for a little while anyways...
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Any update on a the new features? Which will be added/you want to add. I am looking forward to a linking routine and the compression :P.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Add a function like Omnicalcs ExecAsm( please.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I could do ExecAsm( i guess, but it would seriously enable ppl to make dangerous apps.

Although lolje did find a KILLER problem with using parser hooks, one that i have no idea how to fix...

Compression is definately in the works. Linking should be implemented but not on an interrupt based level.
ninja_master

Post by ninja_master »

I really think that you should add in a sound command that would be awesome. That is one of the things that would make any program better. It could work like the play command in omnicalc, but it would be better cause its in xlib.
Wright Studios.org the place for calculator graphics.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Oh of course, i forgot about sound, thats no problem :).
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Feel free to pilfer the routine from QuadPlayer, as that is relatively simple and allows for four different notes (on two channels) to play.