xLIB v0.6b Testing

Moderator: tr1p1ea

merthsoft
Extreme Poster

Post by merthsoft »

Tested:
-Previous functions: All work (with pics above 10)...
-Archived pics: Works fine, little to no slow down...
-Running archived programs: All works (Other than the error that I told you about on IRC, I'm assuming you fixed that)...
-Shapes: All worked
-Run indicator off: Works
-getKey-type-thing: Works
-Create pic: Works (You need a delete pic one)...
-Get calc version: Works on 84+SE
Shaun
BetaSword
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by BetaSword »

So far:

Tile maps: Work fine
Sprites: Works fine
Run indicator: Don't know. I have it set to turn off in the room choosing program, but it seems to still be on when control is given to the walking program. Does it only apply to the currently running program?
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

The run indicator is being funny, when I first run the program with it turned off it doesn't work then when I rerun it works.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

The run indicator is a funny one, im assuming that certain functions in the TIOS turn it back on again. Ill look into it.

Ill see if i can quickly add a delete pic function too.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

All of the run indicator-utilities I've used have the same issue, I'd guess it's something to do with the TI-OS. I'd recommend putting in 2 or 3 run indicator shutoff commands near the start of your program, but even that doesn't always work for some reason.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

dysfunction wrote:All of the run indicator-utilities I've used have the same issue, I'd guess it's something to do with the TI-OS. I'd recommend putting in 2 or 3 run indicator shutoff commands near the start of your program, but even that doesn't always work for some reason.
I tried a for loop with it doing it 7 times and it doesn't work :P, but the second time it will.
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I don't know if its even possible to fix this then, since every other run indicator utility does the same thing. An idea: have an installer program (this is something I've always thought large Basic games should do: all the user has to do is send one group to calc and ungroup it, then run an installer, and this program archives everything that should be archived) and put a run indicator off command in there. Then even if the run indicator doesn't get turned off then, when you run your main game program it will get turned off.

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Yeah I have to agree with dysfunction :P.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Im afraid that i will never include the ability to archive programs/pics with xLIB. This makes it easy to create flash destroying programs.

The run indicator problem is most likely TIOS routines turning it back on. Say if you call "GetKey", it will probably turn the run indicator back on etc.
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

I'm not sure... if that were so, why wouldn't it get turned back on by the same command everytime you run the same program? I use getkey in many places, but the run indicator only seems to be on the first time I run a program after RAM clear, after that, the command works.

tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Well, i havent actually tested GetKey, it was just an example. It should work in most cases, but the reason that it 'might' get turned back on is because a TIOS function enables it ... thats all.

I still have to add 16x16 tilemaps, ill implement that but you guys do realise that xLIB only scrolls by tiles. This means that a 16x16 tilemap routine will scroll tiles of 16x16.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

well, you could use the scroll screen command to have it scroll 8 pixls, then draw the next part of the tile map at the corner...just need to make sure the 16X16 tile map can be placed(as in where on the screen it is draw) can be set by 8 byte intervals.

And as far as programs...you should all be using subroutines as rarely as possible as they are generaly slower than if:thens...as in possibly

preforably, you ought to
1.have a single unarchived main program that takes very little memory and just opens other routines (using temprary xlib programs)
2.put all other stuff into large programs with room to hold external data
3.stuff like map data and pics should be always archived exept for loading when nescissary

keep total program number as small as practically possible...and never asume you will have >15K of ram to work with at any given time...and make sure you account for all string/matrice/list data you might need prior to making everything...*and it would not be a bad idea to inform the calculator owner if they have not enough ram to play the game

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*for the sake of basic error handling, could you add a routine to test free ram some time in the future...sorry to ask for yet another...
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Ill see about adding memory checking.

Im afraid 16x16 tilemaps will be restricted to full tile scrolling for the time being.
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Here's what you can do to scroll 16x16 tilemaps by any number of pixels you want (this works for 8x8 tilemaps too): render a large chunk of your map (at least 4 screens worth) and save each of those to a pic file. Then scroll those four pics. This is actually much faster than scrolling a tilemap anyways. Once you scroll to the edge of those pics, just load the next chunk of map. The only disadvantage to this method is the extra bit of RAM needed to buffer your map into pics, and the added complexity of the scrolling and collision detection code.

necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

actualy, that is a pretty good idea...