Status

Pure BASIC fun!

Moderator: DarkAuron

kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Anonymous wrote:I'm sure we've all played Pocket Tanks
Don't be to sure... :|
He's asking if the tanks will be stuck in places where it'd be impossible to directly hit a tank, where you'd have to tunnel your way out to be able to hit one another, and yes, that'll be possible, but I'm not entirely sure how that'll work yet. I did plan on making certain landscapes like that, however. Besides, theres nothing to stop a tank from hiding from another
Yay!
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Your 'Yay' made me think of the guy in Decline of Video Gaming 2 when he goes "Yay! A green one!" By the way, the flash vid is the best electronically exaggerated entertainment 8) and the FFX parody it in is priceless :twisted:
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
Jack

Post by Jack »

I don't know why, but I'm interested in your Insaniquarium code. Would you mind posting it? Sorry, I'm a newbie.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

uuh

Post by the_unknown_one »

1. Whats insaniquarium? I saw the screenshot but i didnt really get the idea...

2. That flash movie ROCKED! :D
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

go to zone.msn.com ... you can play the game over there
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Insaniquarium code.. I'm not going to post that, but I will type out the logic; not right now though, kinda busy 8)

A little update on Tankies; I've got bigger plans for custom Pic landscapes.. here's a list of them:

-On the landscape selection screen, where it displays Random, Island, and Mountain as selections, there'll be a horizontal selection for pre-equated landscapes that I created at the bottom. Better details will be visible once I fully implement that.

-At first you'll only have two pre-generated landscapes availible; the more matches you win, the more landscapes you'll unlock. Of course, the later landscapes will be more interesting looking (in my opinion) and will be more complex. They'll still be generated from random stuff, but the rendering will be more involved. Oh, and by pre-generated/equated, I mean it's not totally random; it's a set equation (or equations/with small functions) with a slight bit of randomness to it, but unlike Random, Island, and Mountain, they're not 80%+ random.

-Since kv83 asked about tanks having to shoot their way out before they can attack each other, I thought of how I could make this still work for custom landscapes, and it hit me: why not have some fun with binary and make binary numbers in image data, at parts of the screen so the tanks can spawn from those numbers? Okay, that's a lot to process, so check this image. The tank of the left has coordinates 15,38 and the one on the right has coordinates 73,38. The binary at the top has the same values; from the top, the X value, then the Y value. Will the user have to make this value? No, and that's where I get to the next part.

-A landscape editor! But it'll be external, so people that don't care to make levels won't have to waste any space for it ;) Anyhow, these are features I plan to make in the editor:

--In the editor, with a single-pixel cursor the user can create a tank spawn spot. I've got several ideas on how that'll work after having made spawn positions, but selecting a spot will generate the binary image data at the top of the landscape screen.

--The cursor will flash on and off indefinitely, and if you've ever used my Image Edit program, you'd be familiar with it.

--Unlike Image Edit, the landscape editor will have extended functionality; horizontal and vertical line drawing from a simple press of the button, but not the entire line; there'll be a left horizontal button and right horizontal button, which draw from the left or the right of your cursor, depending on which you pressed. The same concept is for the vertical, being up and down.

--Another feature is, and you probably wondered about this, being able to switch from on/off. This means you can erase or draw, white or black, off or on. The display for what it's switched to will be placed where the text "Wind" is displayed in-game (which isn't implemented yet.. grr. maybe I'll do that tonight..).

--Everything will be checked and things can be undone, slightly. Pic9 and Pic0 will be used for the editor, which means you're limited to 8 landscapes at once. But that's okay, right? :roll:

--Either in the main program or the editor, Pic files can be switched/copied from one another.

I really should finish the last "main" parts of the game: wind and an enemy opponent (human or CPU), but uh.. I keep getting distracted with the other stuff! :D

Hope I didn't bore you with that bombardment of info. I might've gotten too wordy or descriptive, but eh.. deal with it! :wink: Typing out details like this are tough :roll: More updates in the near future 8)
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Jeebus! This game gets bigger and more comples every day! Are you sure the calc can handle that many features?!

"Its gone unstable ... its breaking up! ... RUN FOR YOUR LIVES, IT'S GONNA EXPLODE!!!"

*dives*

errrr ... :).

But seriously it sounds great, this baby is going to provide hours upon hours of fun :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."

Post by Guest »

Do you plan on implementing more weapons? (because 1-hit KOs are not fun)
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Who said there were 1 hit KOs? Anyways, yes there'll be a one-time extra weapon, special to each different tank, but since BASIC is really slow and limited, I can't offer more than the standard and a special shot.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Às I said on IRC yesterday, very very very nice feature with the binary trick... good work DA *worships*
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

We so need that worship emoticon.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Tankies is 0.88 right now, and here's just a quick little tease:

:D
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Nice screenshot!! :P
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

ooo! shiny
bananas... o.o
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Too bad it has a blinding circle of death imprinted upon it ;) Oh, and the tankies level editor is out now, but that's already stated in the other topic :P