Half Life 2

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

I've heard lots of good stuff about console games, pity I don't like consoles :p
The water in HL2 was so-so, just too simple for my liking. Tiled, animated textures that look ugly because of repetition from a distance isn't my thing, plus they are very pixelated on GF4s. Not sure how they compare to Far Cry, I think HL2s looked better overall.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I also didnt like how static the shores were ... it looked strange to have nice bumpiness then a stark straight line and then land ...
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Yeah the shore thingy was one of the halflife2 downsides, I wonder why didn't try to fix it. I would also like to see rippling effects, when you step in them.

If anyone has seen screenshots of Wanda and the Colossus, it looks like a cool game with neat graphics...I wish I had a console!

EDIT: As some of you may know I am making a multiplayer mod which focusses on arcade combined with realistic ambiance (counterstrike is arcade while the ambiance isn't taking down a terrorist group, focus now, but more a 'cool I can fire weap0ns' ambiance.
It focusses one realism and cinemation (pixelshader overlays to give an ambiance etc) it's about 3 alien races which are described in a story written by tr1p1ea (sorta).

If anyone has ideas for features that they have once seen in games or never. Please post them here! I need ideas (really, I am not THAT creative :roll: ).
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
shadowing

Post by shadowing »

I don't have any complaints of the graphics. It runs pretty well and allows the comp. not to lag even with that much of detail.

The only thing I complain about is the fact my system crashes whenever i lift up a buggy with the "Final" (you know what i mean whoever beat it) weapon.
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

shadowing, Is there a buggy in the end of the game? Or did you get that weapon in another way? :)

How about no crosshair Kozak? Maybe a faint, fuzzy cloud around the middle of the monitor to denote "where the shot might hit". In order to aim better, you'll have to aim down the weapon (like in a few ww2 games). Feels silly when people run around casually with ak47s and pop a shot perfectly a few hundred meters away faster than one can blink.
I dunno much about your mod so I don't know what more input to give... I hope it was something :)
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

First something about my mod. As I have posted earlier.
It's multiplayer so it doesn't necessarily need a story though I am including one just for realism and ambiance.

I have 5 race proposals, I don't know which i am gonna use but it will probably be 3 races:
- stalkers, not really a race but more a shared name of beings that have inhuman powers (strong, fast) but are more crude on the ranged weapons

- hellghast/hirogen (this is a mixture between the hellghast from killzone and the hirogen from star trek), these beings are a hunting race. They get launched in pods from their homeplanet in squads of six and land on a planet to prepare them for the arrival of their master.

- overture, a highly enlightened species. they fight with uncoventional weapons (energy disks, energy based weapons). they can cloak in a certain way?

- the hive, a species which is 'boss-based'. Every team has a leader which is far stronger then the rest. The rest is weaker but 'teaming up' will result in strong team bonusses which aids their boss in his combat.

- humans, us :o . Since it sets place in the future they have obviously stronger weapons. In general this will be a balanced out race, where all the other races have obvious strenghts and penalties.

My aim is to break ground and think of new gameplay types. Deathmatch CTF etc are all thought of and almost every new mod sheds now new light in these sections. I have 2 new play types in mind, based on the above mentioned races.

A 2nd aim is human fysiology realism.
So a shot trough the arm will drop the gun and make the arm dangle along his side.
A shot trough the leg will make him fall and crawl.
Blur and blood effects on screen based on where and how the player got hit.
A bouncing camera while walking and running.
Screaming and crying when pain.
Player breathing and exhaustion sounds.
And more of that.

My goal is to think of a complete new mod idea, 2nd goal is to make it :roll: .
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
shadowing

Post by shadowing »

coelurus wrote:shadowing, Is there a buggy in the end of the game? Or did you get that weapon in another way? :)

How about no crosshair Kozak? Maybe a faint, fuzzy cloud around the middle of the monitor to denote "where the shot might hit". In order to aim better, you'll have to aim down the weapon (like in a few ww2 games). Feels silly when people run around casually with ak47s and pop a shot perfectly a few hundred meters away faster than one can blink.
I dunno much about your mod so I don't know what more input to give... I hope it was something :)
Well, all I just did was spawn a buggy at the last level. IT WAS HILARIOUS!! I remembered picking it up and my comp. crashed. then my friends said "I hope you learned a lesson". Then I did it again...
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

This is one of the models our modeller has made. It is smoothed far to much but it gives you a good impression of how Stalkers might look like
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ... WOW!

That is AWESOME! Your modeller has some excellent skills. I cant wait to see this mod in action :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

That model is pretty cool, but from your description the stalkers sound more beast-like. The model seems to be very...high tech, I guess. I thought the stalkers would be like, hunched down, crawl around on all fours, jump really really far (kinda like the monkeys from Far Cry, but more human like). Otherwise it looks pretty good ('cept for the hands...). :D
shadowing

Post by shadowing »

WOW WOW!! Your modeler is pretty good. I think that mods going to be great!!
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Yeah I can de pretty weird in my description sometimes, but the main problem is that I haven't totally sorted the mod out yet.

What I do know is that there is a war between the Overture and the Endar (temporary name I ripped from JRR Tolkien). Endar is a race which can be compared to humans, they live on the planet Desolate X(yes another temporary name). Technology wise far weaker then the Overture.
One night Overture pods entered the atmosphere. Several squads of 6 pods came raining down on Desolate. The exact reason of why they crashed down is uncertain ATM but it isn't gonna be cheesy.

Though Endar haven't got as powerfull technology as the Overture they are able to fight back pretty good. At a certain point technology doesn't make a difference in battle any more.

Overture are heavily armored close combat ware beings.
Endar are fast long range war beings.

Now what are the Stalkers? I think it are beings caught in the middle of conflict. Genetically Stalkers aren't related, it's just a general name for beings the have been mutated and have scourged battle fields for all kinds of technology. They don't have a homeplanet or society. They have all kinds of unrelated technology, some exotic. This makes them a force to be reckoned with. Playing as a Stalker will mean you won't be on a team but fight as a loner.

If anyone has a better idea for what Stalkers are and how they originated you can post it here if you want.
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

shadowing wrote:I don't have any complaints of the graphics. It runs pretty well and allows the comp. not to lag even with that much of detail.

The only thing I complain about is the fact my system crashes whenever i lift up a buggy with the "Final" (you know what i mean whoever beat it) weapon.
I second that... it looks really good on DirectX 7... too good with decent framerates. I can run it at 1024x768 at everything high on my Radeon IGP 320M and still get decent framerates :shock: Valve really did something here. The wait? Worth it :wink:
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
shadowing

Post by shadowing »

Course it's worth it. A lot of reviews and even one gave it a 11/10. But still, who cans about reviews!!??? IT'S ALL ABOUT PLAYING IT!!

Since I'm using a Geforce 6800GT, it runs fast!! even on the highest setting. The physics is pretty good too!
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Actually reviews should be taken seriously. Though on some I would have to admit they are "tilted" and some are under-rated and some are way to over-rated. but it is interesting to hear reviewers rant on and on about bugs in games if there are any =P
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"