Half Life 2

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

shadowing

Half Life 2

Post by shadowing »

Did anyone play this game yet?

It's a GREAT GAME!!! Post comments. Voice any opinions.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Yes i bought it when it first came out, passed it and uninstalled it. It is a great game, but the story and such could have been better. Still its the best game ive played in a year or so.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Ajaxhunter

Post by Ajaxhunter »

It's a great game, the only thing that's really dissapointing is the AI. The combine soldiers will often get too caught up doing something else, or will just stand in one place so long that it's easy to waste them. Once you get the assault rifle any challenge in fighting them is gone. Also (like in Doom 3) there is an insane amount of health, so it's not like you ever really are in danger of dying.

deathmatch is very fun though
shadowing

Post by shadowing »

I don't think you played it Ajax. There is no assault rifle.
Calv!n.n0.1

Post by Calv!n.n0.1 »

What are you talking about shadowing? I don't think you've played the game. There is an assult rifle. The Standard Issue Combine Assult Rifle.

Anyways...

I think this is certainly the best game I have ever played. I'm not finished yet, but I'm loving every moment of this game. The enviornments are so well done, and everything looks beautiful. It's nice being outside in contrast to HL. HL just became so monotonous after a while. I gave up playing it.
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

I loved Half Life.
I don't care touch Half Life 2.
Two reasons:
1) My laptop has an integrated Radeon IGP 320M graphics.... DX7 level integrated video with only 1 pixel pipe, and 3 texturing units.... with a fillrate of about 88 Million (32-bit color) to 113 Million (16-bit color) and a polygon output of 2.2 million triangles per second. That pretty much says it all
2) Steam sucks. I played CS on steam once, it's not the same.

I hope the Xbox version does come out... I really want to play it
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
shadowing

Post by shadowing »

It's not an assault rifle. It's a pulse rifle. There's a difference between LASER and METAL bullets.

Steams great too. I played the game Calv!n. I know what happens at the end.

Just to prove that.

SPOILER!!!

The ending is that the Gman comes to Gordon after he freezes time. He talks and then departs with his briefcase.

If you want to know more, PLAY THE GAME.
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

tr1p how can you say the story is bad when noone knows the real story yet? Especially the mistery makes the story a strong side of this shooter compared to other shooters. Their might not happen to much story wise but the start and ending are stonehard.

I think Half-Life 2 is the best shooter I have ever played. Ofcourse RPGs are still my favourite but HL2 is just so refreshing. And yeah the AI is most of the times not very good, but when you think about realism it is extremely realistic. I don't want a topstyle CS player AI to face me, that's unrealistic.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

shadowing wrote:It's not an assault rifle. It's a pulse rifle. There's a difference between LASER and METAL bullets.

Steams great too. I played the game Calv!n. I know what happens at the end.

Just to prove that.

SPOILER!!!

The ending is that the Gman comes to Gordon after he freezes time. He talks and then departs with his briefcase.

If you want to know more, PLAY THE GAME.
Argh, now you're forcing me to buy it lol. Actually it runs great on my laptop surprisingly enough (the demo)
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Pretty pedantic, but there is no real assault rifle as currahee pointed out :) I call it an assault rifle anyway, they both hurt people badly...

The graphics is great, the story is really neat (it has a lot to do with HL1 and there's some interesting reading about it on the 'net), the AI isn't really bad for being a 'realistic' game (no uber-human pin-point accuracy gun-toting enemies like Gordon himself ;) ). The only thing that let me down is all the hacks (technical, although the manhacks were pretty disturbing as well), the feel that it's not as robust and rigid as iD's products are plus it's the same old FPS as all the others. Really, what was new in the gaming experience except a horrible physics engine we've seen before, good graphics and a pretty slick airboat?
Don't answer that, you won't change my mind ;)
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

That physics engine was good, not horrible.

And what more shoot HL2 offer? It sets place on a human earth, it shouldn't be as weird as Tron i.e.

I thought there was some kind of immersion I've never felt before in an FPS. That was refreshing.
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

coelurus wrote:Pretty pedantic, but there is no real assault rifle as currahee pointed out :) I call it an assault rifle anyway, they both hurt people badly...

The graphics is great, the story is really neat (it has a lot to do with HL1 and there's some interesting reading about it on the 'net), the AI isn't really bad for being a 'realistic' game (no uber-human pin-point accuracy gun-toting enemies like Gordon himself ;) ). The only thing that let me down is all the hacks (technical, although the manhacks were pretty disturbing as well), the feel that it's not as robust and rigid as iD's products are plus it's the same old FPS as all the others. Really, what was new in the gaming experience except a horrible physics engine we've seen before, good graphics and a pretty slick airboat?
Don't answer that, you won't change my mind ;)
Yeah realistic like Medal of Honor Allied Assault. Ever play the sniper town level? (Sniper's Last Stand)
shadowing

Post by shadowing »

The manhacks aren't annoying. It's those freakin' fast zombies that pissed me off.

All you just do to kill all of the enemies is get the crowbar, bash 'em a few times.
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Well, I got a few minutes to kill... again.

Alright, the physics engine might not be 'horrible', but I've seen better. Things just bug too much and it's rather evident it was pretty much thrown in hastily for the sake of it. Too 'Half Done' :p

HL2 is just too, uh, strictly linear. It was like 6 years ago HL1 was released and that game was just about the same thing; "follow the red line and beat the boss". I've seen too much of that. In a game when your main goal is to stop an invasion force like the Combine, I'd like a whole lot more ways to do it on. Like: "you step off the train, you go out into the city and somehow get in touch with one of your old buddies, they tell you what's happening and then it's open play." If you'd assault the Combine forces immediately, you'd be in for a ride, but if you'd play carefully, you could sneak around instead and instead of guns-ablaze, you could figure out what way would be the best to get rid of the Combine stuff. Yadayada :)

Still, there were some really great parts in the game, the 'odd' ones, like when you were chased in the beginning, when you got 'IT' in the end of the game etc. I like those kind of things to do in FPSs aside from shooting, 'cause every other FPS can offer me that.

I've played mohaa and that sniper level. Fun stuff, almost like GR :) The forest was worse when the enemies started shooting from 2x the distance to 100% fog.

Ah right, those zombies were not all that fun. Now when I come to think of it, the manhacks were pretty fun once you got the gravity gun.

Enough babbling from my side...
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I also thought that HL2 was too linear ... i wasnt really expecting it to be. That is why i played through it and then uninstalled it. But yes i like the 'thing' at the end :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."