How long have you been programming in Z80 assembly?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

I've never programmed in z80 assembly
8%
a year or less
13%
2 to 3 years
29%
4 to 5 years
17%
6 to 7 years
17%
8 to 9 years
17%
10 or more years...!
No votes

Total votes: 24

bfr

Post by bfr »

Just wondering. :P
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

You didn't vote yourself then?
I've doing it for just over 4 years though obviously I wasn't at MC all the time - before I was though I was even less serious about it than I am now (hard to imagine I know..)
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Since about 2002, here. :) I first encountered assembly in 1994, but that was 6502, not Z80.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

I think I did it first in 2000, maybe 1999. But I haven’t really coded anything after Acelgoyobis (2004), unless emulators count. ;) My first encounter with assembly was in 1992, on the PC.
bfr

Post by bfr »

King Harold: k, i voted now (2 to 3 years)

heh, each one of us so far as programmed in z80 assembly for a different amount of time...and the later our post, the longer the time we've been programming z80 assembly (I posted first and have been programming in z80 assembly for the least amount of time, etc.)
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Lol yes funny coincidence :)
I've I had been programming z80 assembly for 8-9 years, I would have been 10 or 9 when I started
lol
I wish I had..
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

It'll be my 8th year in October. I was looking for high-speed graphics at the time.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

I started to get interested in coding when I was 15 (my birthday is 7 October btw) years old. We just got our new calculators (TI83+'es) and of course after a couple of weeks, people were playing games.
So I started with TI-Basic. Learning basic stuff using the manual :P
Of course Puzzle Pack was one of games that was played. I was so intrigued by the speed I HAD to know how they did it. My only clue was a vague mention of "Assembly Programs" in the manual.

I discovered assembly and how to program it when I was 16. Most of the things I tried (besides copy pasting examples from not so good tutorials) failed completely. But that didn't turn me away.
After a year I got the basic grasp of assembly programming. I could make routines but games where still too complicated. So, instead of starting projects that wouldn't work anyway, I started to make a library. The only thing I made that year was a horizontal line drawer and rectangle filler.

When the vacation before I turned 18 I thought it was time for a serious project and I started Puzzle Action as a tribute to Puzzle Pack :P
At the time I also found sigma's tutorial and later CoBB's docs which where crucial to my learning process.
But I was still very unsure about programming. But I already knew what I wanted to study: Computer Science.

The next half year I was rather busy with adjusting to the new surroundings and Puzzle Action had to wait. I picked the project back up after my first exams. And now it's vacation again.

That's less or more my programming history 8)
4 years Basic, 3 years assembly.

On a side note: During my latest year in secondary school I made a Base converter and showed it to our math teacher. When our teacher taught us about bases and how to convert them, he had plucked a program from the internet. But it was severely limited and very slow. Mine could convert numbers between base 2 - 36, could handle numbers with a fraction and allowed the user to type an expression in base 10.
Needles to say he dumped the program and used mine. My younger sister even said that someone recognized my last name and linked it to my sister.

Yeah...

:)

Whoa, I scare myself sometimes xD
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

4-5 years here :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
cjgone

Post by cjgone »

A bit more then 2 years. Was 12 years old <3 when I joined this forum. Before that I did Qbasic which was so hardcore :D.

Time passes fast and only recently have I started working on some cooler stuff. ;)
Delnar_Ersike
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Delnar_Ersike »

Well, I did actively code (in BASIC, mind you) back one or two years ago, but nowadays I rarely touch my calc. I have multiple reasons, including no real need for calc usage, the absence of great new programs that I can get inspiration from, the lack of programs that suite my interests (this one is not anyone's fault, it's only that it is almost impossible to make programs/games that really fit my interest. What are they? Well, full music playback, a WRPG-resembling game, a 3D shooter, easy on-calc assembly programming, a 4-player mutliplayer game, and a web-interface), the lack of activity from most sites I visit (well, less active than they used to be, and the removal of the most active forum IMO, Omnimaga, did not help), the lack of patience to learn assembly properly and to make good BASIC programs, the draw of computer programming languages (specifically Python, especially since I am already a part-time Linux user), and just pure laziness. I did sometimes code in assembly, but those were REALLY basic programs, the most advanced ones being songs for mobiletunes3.

However, once in a while, I am encouraged to pick up my calc for about an hour or so and try to figure out what the [expletive] is wrong with my hybrid BASIC multi-level raycasting engine (multi-level meaning that you can see in a cone in front of you, rather than just a simple corridor). For those of you who participated on the Omnimaga forums, you probably got a taste of its early version, which was meant to be a demo for my gun sprite graphics rather than a 3D engine. Who knows, maybe it might come out in two years, but don't get your hopes up. :P Whatever the case may be, I will release the engine (and the sprites) sometime, even if they are incomplete.
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Re: How long have you been programming in Z80 assembly?

Post by the_unknown_one »

4 years ago, 2004. Ah, the old golden days.