Gmail goes public, well, 90% of the way

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Mike K

Gmail goes public, well, 90% of the way

Post by Mike K »

I just received an update from Google giving a link to sign up for gmail. I got the e-mail because I was on the "update" mailing list. They have yet to give a public place to sign up, but if you asked for updates, you can get an account. Though anyone who cared enough has one already.

-Mike
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Psh yeah really. I think everyone has 50 gmail invites now
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Kozak
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Kozak »

Will their service change when they go public? Like get slower or people start receiving spam?
"They say that sea was created by a man named Maarten Zwartbol, a long time ago...." - Duck, an old Corbin version
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Kozak wrote:Will their service change when they go public? Like get slower or people start receiving spam?
I already receive spam through it and the POP3 connection times out like nobody's business, so I must say they're doing sterling work at keeping up your hopes and dreams for the service :roll:
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Kozak wrote:Will their service change when they go public? Like get slower or people start receiving spam?
Hah, watch like 300 million sign ups or something and that forcing google to cut 1gb to 500mb.
Now that would suck :?
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
Mike K

Post by Mike K »

I really don't see how if that many people sign up, they would cut size in half. Most of us don't even use a full GB, which is what google is banking on.

-Mike
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

i use up....*gulp* 1 mb?
Life is getting better.
Spengo
Calc Master

Post by Spengo »

hehe :o. I use up a good 16MB. that is because, however, I use gmail to send files and stuff to my friends quickly because IRC's really sucks.
I think there is even a copy of Dr. Snipe in there
bananas... o.o
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

Mike K wrote:I really don't see how if that many people sign up, they would cut size in half. Most of us don't even use a full GB, which is what google is banking on.

-Mike
So, what you're saying is that Google is overselling?

BTW I use like 110MB