On making PSP games

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

soinsg

On making PSP games

Post by soinsg »

I was just wondering if the forum is considered strictly TI calc only, or if discussion on development for other handheld platforms is allowed. I remember several years ago Smoother was trying to make games on Palm OS. That's how I came across MC, last I heard Smoother had left though.

Anyway, I recently got a PSP and just want somewhere where I can discuss making games for it (mostly feedback and ideas, I already know how to program). Since most of you have a TI calc you should be familiar with a small screen and its limitations so know what to expect.

Alternatively can anyone suggest forums where I could go for this kind of support. I'd rather not go to some mega forum like qj.net.
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Sure it is welcomed, there are many people here that have moved from calcs to pcs and other types of handhelds. Also, you could check at RevSoft.org as Madskillz is into psp development and some guys there are into DS home brewing also. Good luck!
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Ive done a bit of DS homebrew, but havent started an official project however. There is no problem with you starting a thread in the 'Announce your projects' section, as long as you prefix it with PSP or something. There are a few members here with psps iirc.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
soinsg

Post by soinsg »

I took a look at RevSoft forums, they look very similar to these ones. I already have an account here so I'm going to stay here.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Most of us will frequent both boards, so i guess it doesnt really matter.

Have you started a psp project already? You should make a thread in the projects section when you're ready :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
soinsg

Post by soinsg »

Right now I'm still building up useful code pieces, like sprites, events, sound.

Then I'll probably browse the current projects for ideas and most likely borrow sprites from a calc game (providing the owner doesn't mind). I like the look of the Zombie Attack game, but there aren't really enough sprites done yet.
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

If you want to develop on the PSP checkout:

ps2dev.org

Despite the name it holds information on PS2 development, PSP, and PS3 development.
soinsg

Post by soinsg »

The PSP forum on ps2dev.org looks good, thanks for the tip.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

i remember Madskillz on revsoft and here mentioned wanting to make a ti calc emu for PSP. maybe he could help.
Image Image Image
soinsg

Post by soinsg »

It turns out I ended up using a friend's private forum, but I'll come back and post something when the game is in a better condition (it's covered in debug sprites and stuff).