FastForwarding the copyright notice

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

King Harold
Calc King

FastForwarding the copyright notice

Post by King Harold »

My DVD player (for my tv) is driving me completely crazy.
When I press Fast Forward when it's playing the copyright notice and some of those other idiotic pieces of video before the main menu on movies, my DVD player just refuses to obey me and instead displays a little icon in left upper corner that means that the action can not be taken.
Is there any way to tell DVD players to "just do it"?
What would happen if I'd just make a switch on the DVD player that controls the speed of the DVD, so that it would have to fast-forward because it can't do anything about it?
kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

Press next, or menu in some cases..
hop
Extreme Poster

Re: FastForwarding the copyright notice

Post by hop »

King Harold wrote:Is there any way to tell DVD players to "just do it"?
Maybe hack the firmware.
What would happen if I'd just make a switch on the DVD player that controls the speed of the DVD, so that it would have to fast-forward because it can't do anything about it?
It's a digital medium, you can't just speed up the disc and have it play faster.

Download or rip it yourself.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Hm well my work-around was ripping the DVD and removing that crap in the beginning..
Are there any DVD players that will just obey my orders? (what is that thing thinking it is above me anyway??)
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

It appears there are some work-arounds. Google and such show. http://hexmen.com/blog/2007/04/skip-dvd-intro/
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Is it really that annoying? I know dvd-players do that, but I never found it annoying or anything else.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Cool thanx, based on those ideas I found a way that works for my DVD-player:
Press Stop twice, select a number (usually 3 is right), press OK (NOT play)

I really found it annoying. Not just because it takes time, but because any machine I own should obey me without question. (so obviously I dislike windows.)

Btw, did you know the the University of Utrecht uses Windows2k on the computers for Computer Science? Win2k on 3GHz machines
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

I see your point, but that's like saying "I don't wanna scroll all way down the License Agreement when I install MY software on my pc. I bought it, so it should work like I want it to" :)

On one hand I agree with you, on the other I understand why they don't allow you to skip it.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

kv83 wrote:I see your point, but that's like saying "I don't wanna scroll all way down the License Agreement when I install MY software on my pc. I bought it, so it should work like I want it to" :)
It's more than having to read it to the last letter. :x
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

What do you mean, CoBB?
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

The ones that bother me are the ones after the film that slowly display the copyright notice in every language known (and unknown) to man.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

But then you can just turn your DVD player off..
At least I can, does your DVD player refuse to do even that? I'd get a new one..
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

King Harold wrote:But then you can just turn your DVD player off..
At least I can, does your DVD player refuse to do even that? I'd get a new one..
It would take about as much time to switch it on or off (or, in my case, close and re-open the software - I don't have a TV) as it would to wait. A lot of recent UK DVDs have an unskippable anti-piracy trailer at the beginning (as have Australia, going by the end of that clip). If only they'd made it more entertaining. :roll:
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Well, I'd probably kill the task..
kv83 wrote:I see your point, but that's like saying "I don't wanna scroll all way down the License Agreement when I install MY software on my pc. I bought it, so it should work like I want it to"
Well, I do say so.. is there any good reason why it shouldn't? I don't buy things to question my power over them..
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

If something doesn't work the way you want then don't buy it.