Wowow... Hold on! Strange computer errors... Nice! (NOT)

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Wowow... Hold on! Strange computer errors... Nice! (NOT)

Post by driesguldolf »

Ok, as the title suggest I'm a bit pissed off about this...

So, I'll start at the begin:
I really like playing around with taskmanager, but not so long ago I found a new tab called "wisselbestandsfouten" (don't know what it is in english maybe KH can help?, literal translation would be "change file errors")
Now some task are really good in putting high numbers there (like +1,000,000! even a system task called svchost.exe...)
Is this dangerous? And if it is what should I do to reduce such errors?

Another thing (though probabely nothing) is, that sometimes some programs take very long to load the interface (when they're in the taskbar and you pop them back) When I quickly press Ctr-Alt-Del to isolate the problem it says 60% of the CPU is in use, now then the program shouldn't be hard to find it doesn't it? No, because the interface of the taskmanager also takes long to load, and when it's ready there's no slowdown anymore... Like it KNEW I opened the taskmanager :D

Any toughts?
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

It's called the pagefile, svchost (service host) likes to mess up - but usually it's because of the services it contains (view them with procexplorer)
There is no such tab on my TaskManager, are you using windows Vista? If so, one tip: don't.
I'm not familiar with the problem though..
JoostinOnline

Post by JoostinOnline »

I think that he meant process, not tab.
"Macs are the Perfect Computers", said the Perfect Idiot.
Testing for:
Vera
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

yeah, thanks KH, I still think it's strange that it even causes errors (not fatal but still, any error of any kind is bad i think). Imo a system task should be an example of proper coding...

About the problem, that's probabely because I don't really like Windows (don't worry I use XP SP2, I'll change to Vista when it works properly, not a second earlier :P) and blame it for every friggin thing that goes wrong hehe
JoostinOnline

Post by JoostinOnline »

I strongly suggest NOT switching to Vista. It's awful. I almost never use my new computer because of it. I plan on downgrading to XP Pro like my other laptop.
"Macs are the Perfect Computers", said the Perfect Idiot.
Testing for:
Vera
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

It's hardly "down"grading..
Anyway, driesguldolf, I have loads of such "errors" myself, every programs seems to cause them, but tbh I have no idea what they are
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Please show a screenshot of the wisselbestandsfouten tab and one of the performance tab when a program takes long to pop back up from the taskbar.

I'm thinking misconfigured or faulty pagefile and memory.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

My translation skills are not very good, but "change file errors" (along with the very high value) almost sounds like "page faults", which are nothing to be concerned about (they are caused by a program attempting to access memory from a page that isn't swapped in - the OS catches this "fault" and swaps in the correct page). By "tab" I assume you mean column in the processes view.
King Harold wrote:svchost (service host) likes to mess up
Not really. It's a common place to hide malware, though. XP's task manager doesn't support services very well (remedied in Vista), so I'd use Process Explorer (as recommended) to check and see if there's a problem with one of the services, or if it is a dummy svchost.exe.

In the past I had problems with a couple of XP updates which temporarily "broke" the BITS service on certain machines resulting in severely degraded performance. Running a System Restore to before the update then temporarily disabling Automatic Updates resolved the issue.
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

screenies: One and Two

To avoid confusion: in image 2, the bar marked green contains 'tabs' and the red one contains 'tasks'
Sorry about my not so perfect English :D

Couldn't get a picture of the cpu usage when it is high...

Please tell me if a questionable task is running :P

I might want to add that svchost once liked to crash all the time, when ever I got a message that svchost crashed I simple moved the window out if sight (lower right corner :P) because if I clicked anything, some stuff stopped working (like sound) and XP changed back to the old look (I mean the XP style -> old win98 style) and after a while followed by even more weird stuff...
As I hoped an update resolved that problem (I hope)...
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

@Ben: Yea I know it's not svchost itself but it is svchost, so...

anyway. I wouldn't be too concerned about wisselbestandfouten, but 1.2 Million of them is enough to make me worried. Is your computer "ratteling" at that moment? Have you forgotten to disable the indexing service? (it shouldn't cause trouble, but it eats resources that you might like to keep)
Do you use a weird patched uxtheme.dll? If not: patch it, if you do: unpatch it, if the problem (with the style) still exists.. panic and blame microsoft?
Or maybe someone else here knows more about it?
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Just means windows put some stuff for the program from ram onto the pagefile on the harddive and had to load it from there agian because the program asked for it.

It's slower than loading for ram but ram is more limited obviously.

When a process hangs for some time windows is probably very bussy swapping all that data back from the pagefile into ram so the program can continue.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

King Harold wrote:anyway. I wouldn't be too concerned about wisselbestandfouten, but 1.2 Million of them is enough to make me worried.
How about 21 million? :) It really is nothing to be concerned about.

Out of interest, which application causes the most problems when restoring windows (it wouldn't be Firefox by any chance, would it?)

Try defragmenting your hard disk drive. PageDefrag might also help.
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

Lol that's pretty high...

Thanks for the link
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

if your svchost is running to high, than it's propably a problem with your Windows AutoUpdate. Turn it off. It's a known bug of Windows XP.
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

lol, kv83, you gotta be kiddin' right? <me gets depressed>
Well if only knew that... (that AutoUpdate is crap)...

I'll explain another time (it's a really interesting but sad story :D)