Wowow... Hold on! Strange computer errors... Nice! (NOT)

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

kalan_vod
Calc King

Post by kalan_vod »

driesguldolf wrote:lol, kv83, you gotta be kiddin' right? <me gets depressed>
Well if only knew that... (that AutoUpdate is crap)...

I'll explain another time (it's a really interesting but sad story :D)
A ungenuine copy of windows? Only being able to update via Auto Updater?
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

driesguldolf wrote:Well if only knew that... (that AutoUpdate is crap)...
Automatic updates (in itself) is fine. In the past a couple of updates have, however, broken the BITS service (which is used to download further updates) on certain machines in the office here - leaving the others running fine. System Restore resolved the issue, and I reenabled Automatic Updates a week or so later and everything was fine.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

I had problems for weeks with my old pc. When turned off everything runed like a farm. Microsoft has a even a support page for it, an advice to set the feature off, if it happens to you.

iirc, it depends on your hardware-software combination to appear.
driesguldolf
Extreme Poster

Post by driesguldolf »

As I promised, here's the story:

It all began a year ago when I got a laptop for my 17th birthday. It was a good one (80Gb Hard Drive, 1.7Ghz, 1024 RAM, an ATI video driver (not sure about the VRAM) + usual stuff (DVD/CD read/burn, wireless thingie,...)
It could play HL2 with good quality (no visible lag when 1280:800 and with most advanced options to max, IF I didnt turn the flashlight on :P, not sure about the HDR)
But after a while hl2 started to crash wo apparant reason (I think it was because of vram was to warm, read something about that on the internet, our desktop had the same crashes, all was ok after I set texture details (iirc) to medium but it was too late for my laptop)... I ignored that until my computer didnt wanted to start up anymore (it stopped right after the introscreen with a flashing cursor in the upper left corner (windows couldnt start)).
ok... it turns out that the hard drive crashed... at that time I didn't make backups of the stuff I wrote :(
I'm not sure if the msiteriuos hl2 crashes had to do with it but...
My grandmom told me (she gave the laptop to me :P) that that laptop wasn't _entirely_ legitimate version, hehe, and if anything went wrong I had to give tha laptop to her so she could take it _somewhere_ to fix it
I was told that the hard drive couldn't be replaced and thus I got a new one... It's almost entirely the same as my old one, 1 aspect aside: the video card (and it says cpu speed is 1.60Ghz)... :(, it's "Mobile Intel(R) 945GM/GU Express Chipset Family" wich I assume is an on board video driver. Now I can play hl2 but with way less quality (wich I can live with) but hl2ep1 played barely (yes I could play it for a while but at the moment after some hocuspocus I get the main menu, but it crashes if I try to load a level/save game) :( AND all source mods crash on main menu (wich is a real problem since most mods are less resource intensive then the actual game and should run even better then hl2 (byebye zombie master...)).

And now I make backups and play most games on our desktop

Anybody who can make any sense out of this? :mrgreen:

EDIT: I did turn off the autoupdate (does that mean i have to manully check for updates?)
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

EDIT: I did turn off the autoupdate (does that mean i have to manully check for updates?)
Hmmm... I wonder if you turn off AUTOupdate, whether he checks automaticly or you have to do it manually ;)