Recording to the Computer

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Homestar
Extreme Poster

Recording to the Computer

Post by Homestar »

I am currently trying to make a video-review of a video game (on the Wii), however, I am not finding any easy way to record the information onto my computer.

I am able to capture video live off my camera via fire wire in any format including HD, and I assume there is a similar way to do this off of the TV. My idea is to get an AV splitter for each of the red, white, and yellow cables. One set going into the TV, and the other being converted into a fire wire, S-Video, or USB. I can then easily capture the video through my video editing programming.

It doesn't seem this simple, as the last few people I've talked to have mentioned all sorts of complications, and "TV Tuners" whatever those are. I thought I'd bring it to you guys, as I'm sure one of you knows the solution...

How can I record my video gaming for less than $20?*

*note this does not include the bootleg camera pointed at a video screen method
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
Delnar_Ersike
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Delnar_Ersike »

Well, an extremely popular choice is Fraps. Just tell me: what video game are you trying to review? Bioshock?
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

This is for a video game on the TV, not on the Computer... unless Fraps works both ways...

F-Zero X :P
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Your video-card doesnt happen to have DVI does it? Like an ATI all-in-wonder etc.

Either way your only real option is to use a tv-tuner/video-capture card like these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815276002
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815100120
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Belkin sold a cheap device that was pretty much an S-Video/composite connector on one end and a USB connector on the other. Hi-Speed USB 2.0 DVD Creator.
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

I hate to say this... But get an old Power Macintosh, check in the back, you pull a 60% chance of it having S-Video in and AV in. I know out of my 4 Power Macs, 3 have it :) and all you do is have something record the signal. But that is completely impractical.

I might suggest getting a cheap old PCI AV card and drivers for them [ I have 1 or 2 sitting around ] they have AV jacks on the back and S-Video for newer ones, then moving to coax and DVI. But chances are if you find a cheap old AV one, you're set. 8MB ones go for cheap and get good capture quality on nice systems
ImageImage
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

Well the obvious first question is "does your video camera have video inputs", but I'm going to assume you checked that already or you wouldn't have asked. :)

Most recent video cards (nVidia at least) have some VIVO thingy which lets you capture video. Audio can go through the sound card's line in. If you don't have a card with VIVO, then you'll have to get a TV tuner or some other device as linked above.
ImageImage
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

a completely bad idea but
*note this does not include the bootleg camera pointed at a video screen method
why don't you just point a camera at the screen?
atleast it would just work.. without all those complicated things..
if the camera is nice and stable, and the room is dark, then it can't be that bad can it..
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

Kind Harold, I have never (in all my many attempts) gotten that method to work with any satisfactory results at all. Sorry...

Honestly, I am going to agree with the crowd, and say a TV tuner is all you need. That, or a video-in card, which is sort of the same thing. (A TV tuner usually has an RF (cable) plug, while a video in card will typically have either S-Video or the RCA (red, white, yellow) plugs. Of course, there are all sorts of combinations of the two.

What you might consider also is a DVD recorder. If you can get access to one of those, you can easilly rip the DVD video onto your PC with a few free programs on the NET. Other than that, my solutions are a bit limited. (I've wanted to do this for a while too.)

-gamefreak
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

I have a Hauppauge PVR-150 card, and it has coax and composite (video/left/right) inputs. Most decent cards have both. And make sure you get something with a hardware MPEG encoder: They cost more, but are higher quality and don't tax your CPU nearly as much.
ImageImage