What's everyone up to?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

What's everyone up to?

Post by benryves »

Activity on this site seems to have dried up, hence this thread - what are you up to?

Inability to transfer files to my calculator or program PICAXE chips has stalled my TI development work, and other work-related commitments means that extensive blocks of free time to work on other projects is still unavailable.

In the meantime I'm relearning Direct3D development by writing a 3D engine in XNA, based around Quake. Currently it's all brute-force stuff, but XNA provides a nice simple framework to finally learn shaders in, and Quake provides some nice real-world data to experiment with.
ProphetsDementia

Post by ProphetsDementia »

I'm making a big game called 'Omnipotens Molior' and trying to involve all or most of the forum. So far, it's working. :D
"Choice. The problem is choice."
"Quite correct. Strange; that was quicker than the others."
"Others?"

"In your case, this is the sixth version of the Matrix."
"Sixth version? Then, either no one told me or no one knew."
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

I suspect that a lot of us aren't up to anything calc-related..
I made a few things that once again aren't good or useful enough to be released
I even made a little calc-os that doesn't really anything, it boots and blinks a cursor (it even lets you change to the shift and alpha and lwralpha cursors, yay) but anyone could do that so it's worthless (if you're interested regardless, just pm or mail me)
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Well, it's summer break in my third to last year of college.

The first couple of weeks I was doing some contract work with a friend student but the boss of the company said he wouldn't pay us our full hours and full wage even though we have a contract that says otherwise. We send him the bills anyway so I'm waiting for him to get back from a vacation in two weeks and respond officially. Was going to use the money to get a driver's license, new desk, leather desk chair, and 32" lcd tv for a second monitor and tv replacement. Guess that's what I'm not up to.

Bought an old hifi stereo amplifier. Hooked up 4 cheap P/A speakers. Makes a hell of a noise and sounds awesome, so I'm still listening to a lot of music. Goa dark psy mostly, an old Kittie album or two. Also watching Lost. Downloaded all episodes and I'm at season 2 episode 15.

Other than that, hanging out with my friends in the weekends. Playing some biljarts pool, terrorizing the local burger king afterwards. Same thing we do every weekend.

Getting ready to hit the gym 5x a week. Just gotta pick up some last things.

Other than that, trying to think of what to do for the last couple of weeks untill college starts again. Planning to run into someone special to enjoy that music with.

That's about it I guess.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

King Harold wrote:I suspect that a lot of us aren't up to anything calc-related..
Hence this thread, really. I'm sure people are up to interesting things that they might not feel they want to dedicate a whole thread to. :) Screenshots, links &c are all good.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

I was working on a dashboard widget until my official DashCode beta expired (it was intended to stop working when leopard was released, but the release date got pushed back and now I'm stuck with no IDE!)...
Other than that I've been visiting colleges and working.
I think, therefore iMac
Delnar_Ersike
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Delnar_Ersike »

Well, I am vacationing in Hungary right now (Solymar, to be exact) and usually visit one of my relatives at least once a week. If I'm extremely lucky, I might be able to meet CoBB IRL, though I don't think Csepel Island is one of the places my family and I will be visiting...
Because I finished the game Deus Ex the day before we (my family) left for Hungary, I usually skip around playing some random games in times when I am very bored. These games include a 1-week revival of Runescape; trying out DotA in Europe for one day and concluding that 1) People do not know what country's abbreviations are "HU" and 2) We don't have enough bandwidth in our home in Solymar; a 1-day tour of Blockland's demo; and a couple of days of Invalid Tangram. I have finally settled with Shattered Galaxy (for now) about a week ago.
I have also been bug testing some of the betas people release of their calculator games and continued playing Travian on US Server 1.
I sometimes post in the DotA forums, as well as e-mail with my RL friends and download/edit music. In fact, I even found a way to convert wav files flawlessly to mod, so RealSound2 might have some competition if it decides to go flash app.
Other than that, I have picked up one of my old calculator projects (Space Trader) and started working on it again.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Isn't this usually a slow time of year? Hopefully we'll get another wave of new members in september when people come here looking for games to put on their new calculators.

As it is, I've been busy with a variety of things. I finished my first year of college. I've been working on a lot of robots for the UBRobotics club(a battlebot, a micromouse(maze solver), a big expensive autonomous off-road driving robot). I'm working on a neat Java program for a company I work for. And, I've been making selling a few computers to some people I know(custom built, generally cheap low-end AMD dual core computers).

Eventually I'm going to have a class in my major(computer engineering) for assembly. Maybe that'll help me get started on learning z80 asm. Until then, I don't see that I'll be working on it much.

ProphetsDementia: good luck with that project. I've tried a couple times to get a group project started, but it always fizzled out. We did get some nice advance wars calc sprites out of it though. :) It seems that your project is going well though. I look forward to seeing the result, and I regret that I can't really help out. I'm a terrible artist, and I never really "got" z80 asm, despite reading through a couple guides.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

You're right, people tend to go off and do other things during their summer holidays. A few stay home and code though :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

I'm currently working at office depot, barely able to afford all my bills. I'm more worried about whether I have a place to live and food to eat right now than whether I can code something inspiring.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

As a PhD student I don’t have a summer break, and I’m officially playing with Mindstorms NXT robots. ;)
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

N and a secret project. been busy irl though, can't help that.
Image Image Image
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

You don't program irl? :o
Where do you program?
I make time to program :) ("real life" suffers lol)
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Gosh, another long post from me...

What, isn't programming real life?

I never touch z80 these days, but I do code a heapload. Nothing to show, that's what you get when you take on a hobby fit for 10 pro coderz :x

Currently, I'm working on my model loading subeditor, more specifically optimizing the post-t&l vertex cache optimizer. Bye bye, triangle strippers (or stripifiers), you were fun to mess around with. The optimizer is just a LRU cache simulator which apparently works very well for generalizing the various sized hw FIFO caches.

The realtime geocoding application I worked on during spring was popular among the radio-science fellars. They told me that if they could find some cash, they'd pay me if I made it more general so that they could use it for their research. Apparently, they haven't found a similar application anywhere yet, similar ones are in development and slower then my program :D

I made a GUI, as some of you know. Made a stupid demo with it with three demo effects in a notebook widget, where the tunnel one got a bit out of hand (parallax mapping with dynamically updated TBN matrices since the tunnel morphed and was overall freaky). Felt that engine programming was making me depressed and I needed a little personal boost of graphics programming. Lasted only for three days, then it was time for engine depression again :p
Screenshot? Sorry, my brother has changed host and I have no idea how to upload content to the webserver right now. Just the everyday silly parallax shader with specular lighting and a whacked out perlin-noise texture that looks like the inside of some insect, everything in an old-school tunnel that goes right-left-up-down, but with the added twist of twisting about in a trippy way. Good fun.

Got an origami craze, took this CP and figured out how to fold this. The figuring out took a day, the folding took another day. Had to use some crude 70x70cm^2 brown packaging paper, but since I'm going to Japan for a whole month on Sunday, I'm sure I'll find some better paper and I might start an origami gallery on my nonexistent site.

Learnt Classical Gas on guitar and I know a bit of Moonlight Sonata. Also getting a little more comfortable with the violin again, I wonder how many years it'll take until I can play Once Upon a Time in the West decent enough (my goal with the violin!).

Bought three books full with Don Rosa Disney comics. I'm happy :wink: Gonna buy them all whenever they get out. Found out that Egmont is releasing the _entire_ collection of Barks comics, ~8000 pages for a total of ~1 735 euros. Limited edition. Too expensive :/

Gosh that was a lot.

Just one more thing, since I like Lego:
Cobb: What are you doing with the robots? Playing with AI?
DJ_O
Calc King

Post by DJ_O »

I've kinda postponed RL4 until september, which explain the slow progress from me, but i guess its the same for most people. Quite surpringsly there is still activity on my TI forum, i even got new members. But it's still a slow period of the year, where people go in vacations and all.

As for now I am more active into making music. I am currently making a mix of almost all my Happy Hardcore Techno tunes I made so far.
ImageImageImageImage