IE7- It's about time

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

currahee
Calc Wizard

IE7- It's about time

Post by currahee »

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=502910
Wait... or should we be anticipating the worst? :?
IE7... this might be interesting. Hopefully they cleared up some CSS issues in that
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"

Post by Guest »

IE needs tabbed browsing.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

It also needs to support the alpha channel for png-24.
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

It needs less holes.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

the_unknown_one
Calc Master

lol

Post by the_unknown_one »

I'm glad that Microsoft is releasing a new version, so it'll be better :D I use both IE and Firefox.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Meh, i dont really care for IE ... im happy with Opera :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Me too, but content providers are in a worse position.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

The best news is of course that they aren't going to charge for MSAS. They'd be very stupid to anyway, but some people were spreading rumours around that it might end up being a commercial product.
The things that IE7 really needs are tabbed browsing [to shut up whiny browser zealots who have one single argument: "IE SUX NO TABS!!?! WTF!"] and CSS2/3 support. Better PNG support would be nice, but PNG is still not a web-friendly format [it's a bit big]. That's one major problem with Mozilla browsers too - PNG support is shakey, and the results are just as bad as IE [Mozilla browsers ignore gamma correction information in PNGs].

The one major advantage of IE over other browsers is compatibility. Seeing as there are no enforced standards on the internet (no one cares about the W3C) it's up to the browser to deal with poorly written HTML. IE will render anything you throw at it. Opera does a sterling job. Mozilla chokes on anything it doesn't like.

The whole standards situation is a joke. Most people out there will be complying to the MS standards - and I can't see how the W3C are "right" and MS are "wrong" or vice versa. It's up to the developers to develop hacks to get their websites to render correctly in the major browsers. Some old browser standards still exist [the blink tag?] and some very nice ones that can be used to great effect [such as the filters style, only supported by IE as such] have to be ignored. Actually, the filters style can be used to fix some alpha transparency problems with PNG if you set them up right.

I'll take a browser that can render any site over a browser that is 100% compliant with standards.

Actually, I think there's only one really "good" browser out there - Opera - and it's one you have to pay for.

IE - needs tidying up (some bits are a mess), tighter security [it's very difficult to get 100% tight with people targetting it] and tabs for those who like them.
Firefox - needs a less leaky core and a more robust renderer, plus a slightly less processor-and-RAM hungry interface.
Opera - needs a lower price. Read: free. :)
VahnRPG
Extreme Poster

Post by VahnRPG »

I only use IE when I come to a page that Firefox doesn't like. Like pages with Flash movies in them don't seem to work in Firefox 1.0 any more. Very annoying
I'd rather be a nobody remembered by someone than a somebody remembered by noone.

'Boku' can't save the world - Blaze Rennaul
--'Boku' doesn't have to... - Klyne Ryuuno
Blue World - Coming soon
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

benryves wrote:IE will render anything you throw at it.
Of course you know the reason for that: everyone cares about IE (read: they at least check if the site works), for rather economic than technical reasons, I may add. If everyone cared about X browser instead, it would be X browser to be able to render everything. As soon as you want to exploit the advanced features of CSS, IE messes it up. And there's a big problem with IE unlikely to be cured in the near or far future: it's for Windows only. When something cooperates with itself only, calling it a standard is meaningless.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

CoBB wrote:
benryves wrote:IE will render anything you throw at it.
Of course you know the reason for that: everyone cares about IE (read: they at least check if the site works), for rather economic than technical reasons, I may add. If everyone cared about X browser instead, it would be X browser to be able to render everything. As soon as you want to exploit the advanced features of CSS, IE messes it up. And there's a big problem with IE unlikely to be cured in the near or far future: it's for Windows only. When something cooperates with itself only, calling it a standard is meaningless.
No - I mean that IE will compensate for bad HTML [as will Opera] far far better than Mozilla. Not just "IE friendly" HTML, but seriously seriously wrong HTML.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

I don't know about Mozilla, I'm not using it. Here's a /. coverup of the issue I just remembered to bring up:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/10/19/0236213
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

CoBB wrote:I don't know about Mozilla, I'm not using it. Here's a /. coverup of the issue I just remembered to bring up:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/10/19/0236213
Yep - I read that too. IE is a lot tighter, because it had to undergo much more rigourous QA before release.
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

tr1p1ea wrote:Meh, i dont really care for IE ... im happy with Opera :).
Opera sucks. Period. Had an IRC channel open and a firewall on. Just left it running. 10 minutes? BAM! IRC trojan
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"