I Got a Wii !!!

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

Now to respond to that. Yes Wii has outsold both of them. But I am most definetly not talking from a hardcore gamers perspective. For example at my school if you say yeah I got a new computer then the first question is "What graphics card did you get?" then when you say I got a new game or something the first statement is "Oh yeah I heard that has great graphics."

Yes a system doesn't need to be a graphical monster. But when you can get the same gameplay on one machine, but the other machine has far far far better graphics then which one are you going to choose?

The reason I think that Wii has outsold both consoles is because Sony and Microsoft have made some bad decisions. Sony appears to be coming around though with free internet, PS3 Home, and the SIXAXIS controller. They would have a rumble pack if it wasn't for somebody >.>

tr1p1ea you have stated that devr's are trying to go safe. What other way is there. Go out of the box and risk losing $80 million dollars. The dev'ing cost for games has drastically gone up.

Pretty soon Wii is going to become bland and boring. You cannot expand too much on the wiimote. Racing games use the "tilt" to drive, Hitting games use the "swing" to hit stuff, and so on.
I really don't think this is the right way to go. Where are the advances in Physics, real gameplay, and AI.

When I say real gameplay I mean come on look at Wii baseball. 3 pitches, a simple and rudementary way of scoring, the same animations over and over again, swinging gets boring after a while.

So how much more can Nintendo just cover the controller with a new game??

What I find disturbing about that site you posted tr1p1ea is that. It does include all the sales, and it doesn't tell whether it is including Japan(which has 3 PS3 models out).

Anyways in the near future Sony is going to do something great. If the 50-bank collateral loan they took out to developing more PS3's faster is any sign, the rumors of a new and improved CELL, and the still growing success of the PS2.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

If people are asking about graphics cards and making coments on games they have heard about or seen previewed, i would consider them to be more of hardcore gamer than anything else.

The reason Wii is outselling other consoles is the same reason DS outsells psp. Mass-market appeal. They are able to woo non-gamers and lapsed gamers with its uniqueness. You only really hear established gamers pine about its graphics or what-not.

If you had ever seen any Nintendo conference over the past 2 years you would see that they made a big point about the development cost involved with creating games. Particularly one on highly graphically capable machines. For a lot of publishers, supporting the creation of any game is a big risk financially, this is why they are playing 'safe'. Nintendo are deliberately making Wii and DS as cost effective to develop for as possible. This is another thing that helps developers shy away from the 'tried-and-true' generic type games that can be found across all gaming platforms today.

Lots of people still enjoy the Wiimote. Pressing buttons isnt the most exciting venture for some people. Also i dont see how you could even consider Wii Baseball to be a simulation when it never claims to be. It is a game targetted at a mass audience, it isnt meant to be a realistic baseball game. There are genuine sports orientated games, along with online shooters, rpg's and other farmiliar games from known genre's coming to Wii. It isnt limited to the 1 or 2 game examples people only ever seem to bring up.

I dont see how you can find the sales figures i posted disturbing at all when i clearly stated that they were for NA (North America) only.

It seems to me that if Wii was on par with ps3 and 360 graphically, you wouldnt have much of a problem with it. A LOT of people feel this way, which i can totally understand. Graphical bells and whistles coupled with well established, set-in-stone gameplay genre's still do it for many people. That is why ps3 and 360 exist after all.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

I would agree with Tr1p1ea, although Halifax has a few good points.

One thing I would like to point out however, is that Wii Sports are CRAP. They not only have very low graphics, but they hardly imitate the motion of the controller. The Baseball, bowling, and boxing have almost nothing to do with the swing, rather it's all timing. I didn't like tennis or golf for the same reason. Personally I would count Wiisports as one of Nintendo's mistakes, even though it comes free with the system, there's no excuse for making it so terrible both in throwing graphics and the Wiimote to the wind.

I am a casual gamer, and although good graphics are great to have I think Tr1p1ea said it pretty well, as long as the graphics are good enough for you to tell what's going on, I'll play it.

Therefore I still love the N64 games like, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Perfect Dark, and Super Smash Bros. (original), as the game itself beats everything even in today's market even without the Graphics. About the repetitive part, I think that if you excluded Wiisports you wouldn't think the games repetitive. Yes some of the character's actions only have one animation, but it hasn't affected me much at all.

Here's where it boils down to me. I would personally set the Wii slightly above the other current systems, and most everyone would say the "fun factor" is very close with the graphics on one end, and the Wiimote on the other. Assuming they're equal for the sake of argument, the other systems are Twice as expensive as the Wii, therefore, if at nothing else, I see the price of the other systems and their games, as the main shortfall.
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

If i could afford every console and every game, id be a happy man :).
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

then you could play all the games exclusive to one console :)
Image Image Image
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

Alright we have different definitions of hardcore gamers then sorry. I didn't consider hardcore gamers as people that just look at graphics.

Anyways Nintendo is all fake. They are throwing a gimmick at the people to reel them in. That is why Gamecube did so horrible compared to the PS2(look up the sales record PS2 is still the highest selling console and people are still buying it). The Gamecube didn't have a stupid gimmick the rake in the people. That's why I hear so many people that buy the Wii say "It was fun at first, but now I am just tired of it" or "It's total crap." One out of every eight people I know that have the Wii actually think it is good.

As I stated before how intuitive is this console? Not that intuitive. You can only brush so many games over the "swing", "tilt", "and hold 3 combinations of buttons when you do it". If Sony wanted to put Wii technology in their controller they absolutly could, and they could have all the PS3 games and Wii games on the PS3, but Sony has chosen not to do that because they want to stay true to themselves. That's one thing I respect about Sony because they don't throw all this gimmicking out there.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

When I said that the wii was just a marketed gimmick half a year ago people cried and whined about me.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

Halifax wrote:If Sony wanted to put Wii technology in their controller they absolutly could, and they could have all the PS3 games and Wii games on the PS3, but Sony has chosen not to do that because they want to stay true to themselves. That's one thing I respect about Sony because they don't throw all this gimmicking out there.
OMG, that's f'ing hilarious. Perhaps you forget the scandalous hype of the cell processor. Or how bout how after Nintendo unveiled the wiimote at the Tokyo Game Show, the very next E3 Sony reviled their not ready for prime time SIXAXIS and that lousy Warawk demonstration.

Wasn't there another overly priced gimmick that was totally unprepared for the high speed data transfers required for gaming that Sony includes in every model of the PS3? Oh yeah Blu-ray.

Though I must agree, Wii graphics are crap, and I'm not comparing to ps360 games. I wonder why in that TP video that they never fixed those rendering errors or why they called 8 polygons a cliff. Even now SSB: Brawl's Models look awful. Link and Samus don't have hair, they have plastic attachments to their head. Why is Mario wearing denim?

Out of all of the systems though, I had the highest hopes for the xbox360. Graphically its much more capable than the PS3. Processing it matches the PS3 in practical real world situations. And its bandwidth setup is absolutely beautifully. Despite all that they still haven't released one reliable machine. With its overheating its become the Ford Pinto of gaming machines, cheaper to fix a broken console than it is to make a reliable one.

Seriously I'm sticking with portable until something good comes out.
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

DS ftw!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

Jim_e: are you seriously kidding me. The hype of the CELL processor?? The CELL processor is most definetly the best console processor out there as we speak right now. It is a f***ing 128-bit CPU in RISC clocking at 4Ghz. This means that each SPE and the central processor has 128 registers each waying in at 128-bits. So that is 1024 128-bit registers across the CELL. The CELL can crank through 256 billion floating-point operations. Now tell me how many x360 can do?? The CELL's internal memory transfer between SPEs reaching in the hunderds. And bandwidth. Do you even want to go there?? 384 GB/s.

Now just cause the lazy a** developers don't want to get of their freaking butts they choose to write their programs as normal programs and compile them with GCC and let the distribution of processing be handled by the compiler. That's why you haven't seen any amazing games yet although you have gotten a taste. For example the games developed in-house by Sony look far better than any x360 games. NBA 07 and Resistance. Now these don't look the best considering they were rushed to release them for the release of the PS3. I am getting d*** tired of all this crap about x360.

PS3 is like another Sega Saturn(three SuperH's and a 68K) but this time around I would expect since dev'rs are smarter that they would actually use the PS3 to it's full potential.

Do people not understand the Gears of War is the best it is going to get??? Epic games had to compress their levels and meshes to even fit them on that tiny DVD-9. It stunning and everything but let's admit it the game was very short. I went through wanting more and they couldn't provide that with the small disc. Now I have played resistance and I have to say you can most definetly tell they are pushing more polygons and not just normal/parallax mapping everything and the detail is amazing in the levels. Plus the particle system of Resistance looks and performs far better than that of GoW. And I have to say Gears of War animation blending was alright, but you can tell that Resistance animation blending was more advanced.

The next time I will talk about this and the next time you can come back to me to talk about this is when Resistance: Rise of Man is released. This will be ONE of the real testemants to the power of the CELL since they will not be rushed on this release title.
OMG, that's f'ing hilarious. Perhaps you forget the scandalous hype of the cell processor. Or how bout how after Nintendo unveiled the wiimote at the Tokyo Game Show, the very next E3 Sony reviled their not ready for prime time SIXAXIS and that lousy Warawk demonstration.
Aren't people known to base things off of other peoples or even still them. *cough* Microsoft *cough* exhibits that all the time.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I seem to remember everyone calling out 'gimmick' when DS was released.
Last edited by tr1p1ea on Tue 19 Jun, 2007 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

Alright, I've been converted. I've changed my opinions on my idea of"video games."

The ultimate gaming console doesn't need to be motion sensitive or gyroscopic.
Infact, being rectangular is just fine.
it must have good games.
Did I mention Metroid Prime and SSB are in the works? : P
It must have A large variety of buttons, unlike the Wiimote.
50 is more than the current systems, and that doesn't include the sub Shift and Alpha actions.
It must have High quality ground breaking next generation graphics.
OVER THREE DIMENTIONS OF GRAYSCALE!!! How could it possibly get any better?
It must have games that efficiently use the processing power, operating system, and available memory.
We're talking compression down to the Kilobits
It must be available at an affordable price.
What's $130 when compared to the Wii's whopping $250. Did I mention games are free?
It has also been proven by selling millions in consoles.

The ultimate gaming system in today's market
Last edited by Homestar on Tue 19 Jun, 2007 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencer
Extreme Poster

Post by Spencer »

Wow ... that felt like a little scavenger hunt. :D
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

Well, sometimes you just need to admit your faults and give one for the team. *I'm laughing on the inside*
Halifax
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Halifax »

Homestar: ;) that was a good one I loved that.