Some weird words

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

King Harold
Calc King

Some weird words

Post by King Harold »

Strange words are always fun, I have some Dutch ones here for you, but by all means post all the weird words you know, the stranger the better :)

I recently came across this word: slechtstschrijvend
which means 'worst writing', where 'writing' is NOT a noun.
That's some consonant cluster :P

Antiastmamatras, I had to look 2 times at the word before I knew what it was.. but it's not very special after you figure it out.

Voorkomen and regent, those words have afaik only 1 thing in common: they both have 2 meanings, which are differentiated only by stress. Vóórkomen means to exist, voorkómen means to prevent. Regént means regent(leader), régent means raining, these words are not even of the same TYPE, one being a noun and the other a verb.

Koeienuier, seriously a crazy word, it's the dutch word for the part of the cow that produces milk. The N in the middle is trying to ruin it, but the word is weird anyway.

some weird english(pronunciation-wise) can be found in dearest creature in creation
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

What makes these words strange?
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Their spelling
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

The Capital IJ :mrgreen:
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

That's also a fun one, and it's not as uncommon as some ppl think..
de IJ (river)
IJsselmeer (lake)
IJssel (river)(streams into het IJsselmeer surprisingly)
IJmuiden (city)(near the river IJ)
any word at the beginning of a sentence starting on IJ (IJs, IJsvrij, IJdelheid, look in a dutch dictionary for more)

are there any weird english words we should know about?
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Lets not start that IJ thing again. These words would only seem 'strange' to someone who wasnt Dutch of course. I would really love to visit and learn more about culture in the Netherlands one day.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

The IJ looks a bit odd to me as well, really. But Ij looks outright wrong.

a normal ij exists for the purpose of disambiguation between some words like "lijder"(sufferer) and "leider"(leader), "eis"(demand) and "ijs"(ice). Without the differing ij/ei they would be completely identical.

@tr1p: not to be negative about my own country, but it's extremely boring here. We don't even have mountains. I've been to Australia and it's really much more interesting there on the whole. On the plus side though, most ppl here speak english, unlike France.

Does anyone have a nice english word with a long consonant cluster? Or a long word consisting of mainly the same letter? Something like that?
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Amsterdam is awesome for the diverse culture stuff, which any dutchman has already seen several times over but still. Some of the character of Amsterdam remains cool, at least to me. People who says it's buildings are beautifull should shut it though.

Utrecht is also a great place, it lacks extremes as prominent as in Amsterdam, but it makes up for it with all the interesting travelers everywhere (travelers in Amsterdam are just boring English or Asian tourists).

The southern provinces are very beautifull. Really nice to travel through on a pretty day. Great friendly hospitable and outgoing people (<3 girls with provincial accents <3). Also southern (below the rivers - maas and rijn to be specific) vs northern (above the rivers) humor is lots of laughs. I was born near Eindhoven but I life near Amsterdam now, so I'm a bit both sides of the same coin, which is even more lols.

Night life in Eindhoven is crazy.

Maastricht is amazing. Beautifull architecture, old hotels and churches and stuff like that. It's really great. Bunch of plazas with bars everywhere loaded with students and relaxed people.

Fuck mountains.

Shit sucks with ugly weather though. I'm gonna try and travel a lot throughout the country (yay us students get free public transport) this summer, which in my opinion is the only time this country is worth admiring, and during that time it's downright amazing.