small memory dump of videocard

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

King Harold
Calc King

small memory dump of videocard

Post by King Harold »

One day, not long ago, I was bored (not that I'm not almost always bored but..) and I thought it might be cool to see a memory dump of my videocard as picture after playing some game. So I played Guild Wars for a while, and wrote a little program that retrieves the memory contents of the videocard and exports it to png format. Here is the result:

as you can see, everything fragmented to little blocks that got moved around a bit, and there are some artifacts that probably never were a texture but perhaps vertices or depthbuffers. Most of it is texture.

I also have a larger dump but ImageShack isn't going to allow it, and this serves its purpose.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Cool, I'd have thought there'd be more data used on shaders and such than just plain textures.

What graphics settings where in use during the capture? Resolution, bitdepth, texture resolution, lighting settings, etc etc.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

32 bit depth, 1024x768 shot at a random location, GW was running at 1024x768 with every other setting on maxQuality.

the bigger shot that i have (1280x1024) is more interesting, the lower half contains none of these little artifacts, it's pure texture, the top contains loads of the artifacts (anyone know where to upload it to? it's about 2,3MB)
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

It doesn't load for me. You can upload it to a generic file hostsing site like putfile or sendspace and I'll upload it to my site if you like.