Senioritis

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Do you have senioritis?

Poll ended at Thu 14 Jun, 2007 1:01 am

I never asked that question before.
No votes
I have asked that question before, and I don't know.
9%
Yes, I am beginning to exhibit symptoms of senioritis.
9%
Yes, I now have senioritis.
9%
Yes, I have had senioritis for quite some time now.
36%
I used to have senioritis, but now I'm cured.
18%
No, I do not have senioritis.
18%
STFU, slacker.
No votes

Total votes: 11

King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

social inefficiencies
lol, it's just laziness, no need to use big words

but yea no offense but in general Americans don't like to hear that they're lazy. which is a bit odd since being lazy comes close to being clever, be honest - is working hard really a good idea? maybe if you get money for working.. but not at school / college / any other educational instance.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

In this case it's laziness.

Remember the opposite? Oh noes, ADHD! Medicine gogogogo! Apparently Americans have 5x as many psychological "disorders" compaired to the rest of the world. Sure, it excists, but in nowhere near the projected severity.

Or do they have 5x larger pharmacy markets?

edit: I meant ADHD, HPPD is something.. different.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

maybe they do not feel 'respected' if you call them lazy or crazy or hyperactive, and for some reason they are prepared to pay for medicines just as long as their 'disease' is 'respected' and has a name.

<skip this if you're american>
some 50 years ago most of those 'diseases' and 'disorders' didn't even have a name and they were ignored. Giving them names does not make the world a better place. Neither does paying too much money for medicines against every little tiny thing that can be wrong in your body/mind. That also kills the mechanisms of evolution (no I do not mean to say "the weak deserve to die", but it does destroy the main mechanisms of evolution)
</skip>

so, back to the point, all this laziness is ofcourse not the fault of the students. No one ever wants to do boring work he/she can avoid. So education is boring, and it doesn't have to be.
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

I blame the crap they put in fast food, but americans choose to eat fast food.. so it's kinda their fault.
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
thecheat
Calc Guru

Post by thecheat »

I'd say that 60% of the "common" diseases (yes i'm american) are made up.

common cold, REAL

ADD.... I don't think so... only in select cases, kids are just hyper... duh. you don't need to stuff 'em full of drugs. besides, if it's boring, 90% off the people are going to have "attention deficits" another duh... then they get used to not listening, THEN it's a problem, but... I'd say it's "Atrophy of Discipline Disorder" which is probably the root cause of half of these disorders... I suffer from this... I'm also (was) publik skoold...

lousy food do not help either. They've done studies that people who eat healthier preform better... less problems with students... oddly enough, that's why "reeducation centers" (where the multiple offenders in public school go) are better schools many times than the public schools... many parent wanting their kids to act up again to go back to them! (they're also more one-on-one... smaller classes)

I'd say senioritis is just people getting tired of the same old thing so many times. They just want it to end. Like when you go over the same thing so many times without really progressing, you just say "I'm through with this!"

PS: I also try to stay away from medicine if I can help it. Small doses for colds and stuff, just enough to make it so I don't use a tissue box per minute.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

you know what happens when you take medication against common cold..

if you don't: there are mainly 2 types of common cold, 1 is a virus, the other is a bacteria. In the case of the virus: just destroy it. Bacteria however will in the end become resistant and the medicine will be next to useless since bacteria can exchange parts of their DNA. Clever trick of them. But suppose a serious disease comes along, then you'd have a medicine that doesn't do anything but the side-effects would still be affecting you. By all means look it up if you don't believe it.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Since when is there medication against the common cold that doesn't just suppress the symptoms?
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Since the invention of antibiotics?
Up to this day there are still no good medicines against common cold that just suppresses the symptoms. Afaik there is only that crap that clears your nose, but not without hurting it terribly.
randroid

Post by randroid »

In my opinion, senioritis is something you only get in High School. As far as College goes, I've noticed that at the end of every year everyone gets lazy, wants to just sit out in the sun when it finally comes out. Me personally, I've found myself forgetting more homework, being lazier (ya, of course I was lazy to begin with) with projects, and finding it easier to drink on weekdays (cheers to all you people not in the US, where this is something that is weird if you don't do it). Either way, I'm quite ready for my summer hiatus from school.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

cheers to all you people not in the US, where this is something that is weird if you don't do it
Who does NOT drink in the weekend? Would anyone be as crazy as to drink outside of weekends? Well no offense, but yea if you drink on workdays.. that's kinda.. odd? You'd have a headache all week instead of just on mondays..

but yea you wouldn't be so tempted to pay attention in class anymore and that might be a good thing.

You sortof kill your own point though, first you say it's only for High School and then you say you get it every year in College. So instead of coming near the end of the whole school it already turns up at the end of the year.. Is that enough to make it mere laziness?
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

What he says is consistent with my experiences though, it starts in highschool and then you have it every year after the first month or two in college. lulz.

But over here it's simply called being a student.

Also, headaches are preventable. I've had times where I could barely stand up (tip: don't do gold strike on an empty stomach at the end of an evening and night of drinking beer) and I've never had a headache from drinking, in fact I haven't had any kind of headache in over a decade. Drink plenty of water before you go to sleep and when you wake up.
cheers to all you people not in the US, where this is something that is weird if you don't do it
cheers. And yay for student bars directly beneath the college building that open after lunch.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Arcane tips to prevent headaches ;)

and yea, cheers

ps: how can you possibly drink anything at all, even water, before you go to sleep? how is there any room left in your stomach?

also, I think I should remind everyone of the fact that diseases ending on -itis have something to do with inflammation/infection.. whoever made up the word "senioritis" wasn't studying biology.. or he was but thought it'd be funny somehow.. (failed..)
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Alcohol is a diuretic so it sort of makes room. :P I always drink lots of water anyway and a little extra before going to sleep. Plus, I have really high metabolism and rarely eat enough after dinner when I go out and drink (not much food at such a place is there) untill I get home, so I guess digesting dinner very quickly makes room for it too.

Anybody should be able to drink 2 or 3 glasses of water before going to sleep though, but you can also drink some more when you wake up in the middle of your sleep, and again in the morning. For me that's a habit anyway so I don't change anything when I drink except sometimes where I sleep :P
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

King Harold wrote:also, I think I should remind everyone of the fact that diseases ending on -itis have something to do with inflammation/infection..
Well, I was careful to plant the phrase "flare up" in my earlier post. You might say I'm...itching the get out of school. :lol:

* Scratches uncontrollably
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
Gambit
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Gambit »

Thanks for the replies. :)

Although I haven't logged in/replied since my last post, I'm finally done! I got some Bs, and I have to turn in a lot of late homework tomorrow :x , but other than that, I took my finals and got through.

I do wonder, though, what you guys think of this and if it relates to your posts, and ultimately 'senioritis'. I do give a cautionary warning that what you (might|are about to) read be ... shocking, to say the least:

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/historytour/history1.htm ... :!:
"If SOURCE is outlawed, only outlaws will have SOURCE."