Q's about turning N64 into PC play

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Homestar
Extreme Poster

Q's about turning N64 into PC play

Post by Homestar »

A long time ago I bought an Nintendo 64 (as well as some of my friends), and with that many games. But now the systems are starting to show some age, and you really have to wiggle the cartridges in order for them to work, and many times the games 'reset/lose connection' in the middle of playing. (not to mention it is a hassle to take to a friends house.

I have seen quite a few online videos (on youtube, etc.) where people are using N64 emulators and have transfered/downloaded games onto their PC. I was wondering if anyone here knew anything about PC emulators, or had heard of N64 emulators before.

Common sense would say this is illegal due to copy write infringement, but I personally own the games, Nintendo no longer makes N64 cartridges, and it would cost a fortune to buy a new system with used games. Not to mention Nintendo wouldn't earn a thing. Would the TI calc emulator be considered illegal even though we all own TI calcs?

I have also heard I could transfer the games onto the computer myself with a little adapting magic. (haven't quite figured out how I'd do it though, but other people online say they have).

Any comments, ideas, personal experience, websites, or pointers?

My main purpose is to find a way to play some of my unplayable games again.
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Project64 seems to be a good emulator that is still updated: http://www.pj64-emu.com/

Regardless of whether or not you own the games/etc ... please dont ask for roms/rom links on these boards.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

There's also Mupen64, which does re-recording, so you can watch Tool Assisted Speedrun videos on it.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

One of the things I like about project64 is the ability to play MarioKart online.
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

One thing I just remembered is that the wii can play the oldies (don't know why it didn't hit me sooner), although I'll have to re-buy the games :(. but for $5-10 ea that's reasonable.
Madskillz
Calc Wizard

Post by Madskillz »

Do they have all the games available yet?
The Revolution is here...
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

You mean all the N64 games on the Wii? No, only 3 in EU (SM64, MK64 and Zelda: OoT) and 4 in US (same + Lylat Wars)
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

Do you have any idea if Nintendo intends to come out with all the games eventually? Or will they only release a few.
randroid

Post by randroid »

Im pretty sure they only intend on making certain best sellers available to the Virtual Console. Otherwise it takes up server room for them, cause I mean seriously who wants to buy Yoshi Story for their Wii virtual console?
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

Well they could just sell the game in the store on a simple disc like all the others. Or mabye in a "value Pack", with all the James Bond, Zelda, or Mario Party games ect.

How much on board space does the Wii have anyway? Probably not enough to hold all the N64 games I intend to get. :twisted:

Are you able to burn CDs or (cheaply) buy memory cards for the thing?
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

N64 games are very tiny. You can theoretically fit 15 copies of Ocarina of Time on the internal storage.
Goldeneye ain't going to happen though, too many licencees tied up for that game. You'd need approval of Microsoft (who owns Rare) and Activision (who owns the current James Bond license)
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

Ok,

I've tried several emulators, but with the same result. for some reason they all are blank as-to my audio/video/keyboard, and say I need to choose the plugins. However they are all blank, and I am unable to choose any. None of the buttons do any actions (including the blue arrow).

Here's the General tab

Any suggestions?
It automatically picked up on everything on my brother's computer, but I can't get it to pick up on mine.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

What kind of hardware do you have in your pc?
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

I have a pretty modern computer, it was top of the line just a year ago when I bought it.

I fixed my original problem by re-downloading it (after lots of fiddling around to no avail. My current problem is that is says DirectX doesn't work when I try to load/play a ROM. And my brother is currently teasing my by playing Super Smash Bros. right next to me on his Laptop :x

I went into my system and All the Direct X tests with the spinning box work fine, but I had this same problem when I bought six Frisbees that came in a package labeled CallofDuty2. However this shouldn't be any strain on my system as thecheat's laptop has much lower stats than mine.

anyway here 'tis: (hope this is what you wanted)

hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Set the directx plugin settings correctly or choose opengl or software rendering plugin.