Remote PC Access

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

blueskies
Calc Wizard

Remote PC Access

Post by blueskies »

I'm wondering if there is a way to remotely control a program on one computer from another. What I want is to be able to run and control a newsreader program running on my server, through the home network, all from my laptop.

I'm sure there's a way to do this, but just don't know what to google. I've heard of vpn, but that seems way too large scale. What I would really like is just a little window on my laptop that is my server's screen. Or maybe another workspace would be even better.

This is all on Linux btw. Thanks!
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

TightVNC is available for both Windows and Linux.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

VNC!! That's the acronym I was looking for. Thanks dude.
GuillaumeH

Post by GuillaumeH »

You can also use ssh with x-forwarding enabled.
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

x-forwarding is, I think, exactly what I was looking for. It seems that with VNC, you get the entire desktop display on the client side. I just want to run one program, and make sure that is saves everything on the server, and not save to laptop, transfer to server's shared drive through the network.

Just to be clear, the program is actually running on the remote machine, while only the display is run on another machine's x-server? If so, that would be perfect.

//edit - this works absolutely perfectly. All I had to do was install openssh-server on my pc (client was already installed on laptop). The to start, just type ssh -X 192.blahblahblah, login and start the program. thanks gH!
MeowHead2adg1

Post by MeowHead2adg1 »

My first 16 were the hardest, especially when i was online gambling. My favourite things are enclosed.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Just in case you ever need to on Windows, Start, All Programs, Accessories, Communications, Remote Desktop Connection. :)
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

On Windows you should do the same thing, vnc or x forwarding. For the latter get XWin32.

Windows' remote desktop connection should be disabled.