Which is worse: ME or Vista?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Which is worse: ME or Vista, and why?

ME - Vista is shinier!
47%
Vista - ME was rather bad, but usable
12%
Both suck. I hate MS!
24%
Neither. They may have problems but they make up for it
6%
No idea or no opinion in the matter.
12%

Total votes: 17

DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Which is worse: ME or Vista?

Post by DarkAuron »

I havn't tried Vista yet, but my experience with ME was pretty bad, and ME is infamous for its problems. Everything I've heard and read about Vista makes me think it's significantly worse than ME if MS doesn't plan on patching and optimizing it. What do you think?
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

What on earth have you heard?

Vista is fine, it's a slight step back from XP for now, but when it's actually out of the testing fase (yes you're paying bleeding-edge prices for testing, enjoy) that should change. Untill then it's still a huge step forward over any other Windows OS for desktops except maybe 2000 or 2003 if you know what you're doing. Me is really the worst you could possibly use.

In short, wait for Vista SP1 or use XP SP1/2 if you need a Windows OS.
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

Just get a Mac. :D
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Because "just" should be a valid reason for choosing a computer platform. Sure would make it easyer for Apple's marketing and sales departments.

Hmm, or might there be reason for not limiting your recreation and productivity to a vendor with a smaller market share?
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

I voted "ME - Vista is shinier!" because my experience with Vista has only been visual. I had win ME from 2001 to 2006 and considered tying a pull string to the wall plug for when it wouldn't even shut down.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

I like vista because it brought prices down...now all I need is to save to replace the gpu and I will be good for the purposes I have (of course, most of my 'free' software won't work on vista so I guess i will have to keep using my laptop to). Never worked with ME aside from a computer lab once before they switched to xp (took them a long time to get around to it).
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Ive worked with ME for a long time, and I've tested Vista.
Vista is more stable, but I hate all those warnings, just let me delete a file if I want to! Even if you disable them you get too many warnings, the 1 warning of XP is 1 too many already. The glass look looks nice but it is absolutely useless, it just sits there and uses resources. Apart from DirectX 10 I didn't notice many improvements compared to XP, compared to ME is has the same improvements as XP has. Except for the window-preview thing when you hover over the tasks in the taskbar.
If there are other improvements they are well hidden and normal users will never even notice them.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

ME was fine if you could get a hold of proper drivers for your hardware. Vista is resource hungry (deliberately), but i would wait until a service pack is out before migrating.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

vista is shiny, but osx is shinier, therefore making osx the clear winner! (not of this poll, though!)
I think, therefore iMac
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Is that what we want from an OS? shininess?
I thought it was all about stability, usability, backwards compatibility with its older versions, short boot time, low use of resources, number of optimized fast functions in the API, etc

Or you could be typically Dutch and go for the "gulden middenweg" (die richtige Mitte, kultainen keskitie, střední cesta, złoty środek)
I don't know the English proverb though..

Like XP, a bit of the shininess without using too much resources.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

And compiz/beryl has even better looks and graphical functionality, being the actual winner in that area.

Though OS X and some open source solutions have better interaction design (especially better than Vista), they are (sometimes severely) lacking in other areas where Windows simply is not.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

beryl:

that does remind me of something..

so who was the first to come up with the glass look?
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Sun came with a demo of a 3d desktop environment with glass theme in 2003. http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/index.xml

I'm pretty sure this is where a lot of the new UI stuff Microsoft and Apple use comes from.

Except Microsoft and Apple are too concerned about eachother to make proper use of the technology they steal, which the open source community does ever since they started it all. Too bad the hardware/driver support sucks.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Heh, Apple had those shiny graphics before Compiz/Beryl. It's also based a Unix OS called NEXTSTEP.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Nextstep had "3d" gui elements (you know, a light grey line and a dark grey line around a button element for example) but not 3d desktop and though it was the first to support transparency I don't believe it ever had a glass theme or any of the window management functions seen in Sun's demo.

Do you have a source of Apple having such a glass theme? And when, as xgl/compiz released an early demo a long time before actually going live in 2006. Widgets for example where released after Sun's demo but before any complete next gen desktops went live.