Out of the dim ages.

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Out of the dim ages.

Post by CDI »

Mac OS 9 isn't necessarally a bad OS, not in the least, it has served me well for quite some time, and will continue to serve me well, as I do not think I am going to take my old Power Macintosh 5400/180 down, yet. It has been up for a loooong time now, why shut it down? Anyways, I am posting to say I have come out of the "dim ages" of Macintosh, not the dark ones, those were back with the 68000 based processors that, well, were slow.

I am at the Westerville Public Library, on my new iBook Dual USB [ early 2001 ]. It's a 500MHz PowerPC G3 processor, 640MB of RAM, 24x/6x/4x CD-RW drive, 1024x768 LCD, 8mb ATI Rage Mobility [ 2x ] video card, 10gb HDD, and OS X 10.2.8 [ soon 10.4.x ]. So, I have a 'modern' Mac, yaaay!

Now here is the large question, what to do with it all? I have FireFox 1.5 [ 2.0 seems a bit resource heavy, but I'll upgrade soon ] and I have iTunes, and UT:GOTY... but that's about it. Now what?
ImageImage
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Diablo 2 and SC are safe bets for awesome games that will run on there. Other than that the only things you'll be able to run (game-wise) are NES/SNES emulators.
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

Both of those seem to be classic apps, and I need an install of OS 9.1 to do that, workin on it. And you'd be suprised what I can run with this hardware, I can run just about any pre-2001 FPS, and a good deal of older stragety games. And I use my PSP for most emulators, as it's a controller, not a keyboard
ImageImage
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I forgot about installing Classic... I don't recall playing games on my my Mac much once I upgraded to OSX. I browsed the internet. One game I did enjoy is Rise of Nations, circa 2003 or so. It may run a little choppy, but it's a good game.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

Are you looking for games or just cool apps?
I've got some nice ones that I depend on...but I'm too lazy to list them.
Maybe if you asked me nicely.
I think, therefore iMac