Instructions on Ripping Music off a website (legally)

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Homestar
Extreme Poster

Instructions on Ripping Music off a website (legally)

Post by Homestar »

I have been looking for some particular Zelda songs (to listen to, add to a home movie, and ect.). I have finally
found a website that allows you to listen to them for free and I want to save the song to my computer for the reasons
I have just listed. I know there is a way to do this with movies (like off of You Tube) as well, but currently I am
only concerned with this paticular Zelda song.

I'm rather sure this is not illegal as you are allowed to listen to the music for free online... I just want to be able
to listen to it offline :P.

Anyway here's the site... SITE

and here's a particular song... SONG

... and another song... SONG 2

... and my favorite... SONG 3 (you've got to listen to the whole thing, it's great)

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with viewing the page source, but I don't know what put in the url once I do.
(and it doesn't give the option to "Save Target As")

If this is somehow illegal, please tell me AFTER you give me detailed descriptions on HOW TO PERFORM THE
OPERATION and BEFORE you lock the topic. But as I said before it is a free open source connected with nintendo,
and should not be illegal as far as I know.

All I really want to do is be able to burn them on a CD for my own personal use (instead of going online) :D
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
blueskies
Calc Wizard

Post by blueskies »

http://www.thehylia.com/media/albums/mp3/

open source, search for 'mp3', copy/paste/lather/rinse/repeat.
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

I've been using Goldwave to do the same with Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) audio. Install goldwave, install LAME (if needed), run...

New -> Choose quality & duration -> get ready! -> hit record. It's like a screenshot, but for sound. 8)
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

blueskies wrote:http://www.thehylia.com/media/albums/mp3/

open source, search for 'mp3', copy/paste/lather/rinse/repeat.
Or just right click save as on the files you want...
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

Great! ...but is there a way to rip the music directly off the page I was listening to?

like for-instance, if I went to someone's myspace page and they had music playing, how would I go about ripping that?

I'll try the gold wave, but I was thinking there was a way to literally save it to the computer without recording it, and that this was possible from any web page through the source code.

Now this is a stupid question, but could I access the song from my temporary memory?

I'm glad I can get if off I can't find the specific songs I was looking for on that album :(

@ digitan, how do I record audio I'm listening to in goldwave? I can't seem figure it out.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Have you tried the link to the entire directory listing of every single zelda MP3 file offered on that website which was posted as the first reply to this topic?

Go to http://www.thehylia.com/media/albums/mp3/
Click a folder
Right click a file
Save as
DONE

If you want to know the simplest way of how to do it for other websites, google the HTML <object> and <embed> tags and their source elements. There are gazzilions of other methods but you won't be able to understand them without learning some things yourself, and when you have you won't need us to spend days repeating them from google search for you.

Myspace plays the files through a flash player which shows no information about the location of the source music files anywhere in dependencies or html source output. So then you either learn to find/get proper quality rips (as far as mp3 has any quality anyway) elsewhere or click the download link for the song you want if that is offered.
Now this is a stupid question, but could I access the song from my temporary memory?
Yes, in this particular case you can also do that.
recording
MP3 sucks bad enough, try to avoid recording lossy compressed audio that is routed through generic home quality windows algorithms before arriving anywhere near the recording solution except for as a last measure. Besides, this takes at least the amount of time the files playback lasts, not very practical for collections and such. So, last measure.

Also, unless you somehow pipe the stream through it's own recording device or something like that you're going to have a good laugh when another sound plays on your system as that will get recorded as well. Oops, a windows dialog, oops an im contact signed in, oops the current on my soundcard fluxuated, etc.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

If it's embedded Windows Media Player you can usually find the path of source file by fiddling around with the context menu. If you downlod it and find you've ended up with a 1KB file or something equally unlikely (this also applies to small MOV files and the like) open it up in a text editor and search through the binary for the real URL, which is usually embedded somewhere.
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

I got how to save music from the site Blue skies posted (it's just a right click), however, to restate my question for
clarity I'm trying to find how to get the song from this web page, as the one blueskies posted doesn't seem to have all the songs on the origional site.

Is this possible through the page source? If so, how do I access it?
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Yes it does, it's the exact same site.

Click URL
Click hs
Click 13-legendofzeldamedley.mp3

How to get there by reading the source code:
right click -> view (selection) source. (I hope you know this)
Go to embedded object.
Read src property.
Go to it.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Or you could look up the URL in the Media tab of the Page Info (in FireFox) and go there and save.

clicking the "save as" button does not always seem to work when not properly loaded..
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

:ninja: *click* :shockedpuzzled:
...ahh, yes, yes, yes. I don't know what I was I was doing before, but I just got it to work. I think I wasn't pasting the SRC back under www.thehylia.com/media, but rather www.thehylia.com and getting the page not found error message.

Thanks very much :excited: :excited:
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

Download Helper another really cool extention that recognizes and allows you to download anything (movie, picture, or music) on a webpage automatically. :)
xDarkFirex

Post by xDarkFirex »

www.ocremix.org get the original chiptunes then convert it to an mp3.