CPU Benchmarks, from 1995 CPUs to 2005 CPUs

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

currahee
Calc Wizard

CPU Benchmarks, from 1995 CPUs to 2005 CPUs

Post by currahee »

http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041220/index.html
http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/index.html
take a look. VERY interesting read... a well made CPU chart :? :shock:
(Note: If you just wanna see benchmarks, click on the 2nd link)
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

That's what I'm always saying. Here's the proof that there's a performance increase of two orders of magnitude, and we still have the same unresponsive UIs...
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

Things get easier to develop -> developes get lazy. "When CPUs get better, we can make a maintainability/performance trade-off." Not a good thing when everybody thinks that way.
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Unfortunately, I don't see increased stability or software quality in general in return for the lost performance. That's not a tradeoff, I'd rather call it deterioration. Everyone is talking about increased software complexity, but that's simply not true. Desktop applications haven't become 100 times more complex, yet they are just as buggy despite the increased (?) ease of development. A topic worth a thousand rants...
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Im afraid i have to agree with CoBB on that one :).
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

coelurus wrote:Things get easier to develop -> developes get lazy. "When CPUs get better, we can make a maintainability/performance trade-off." Not a good thing when everybody thinks that way.
you're right, would any calc programmer even dare to release a program as slow as most computer menu's? An example: i had a program that took 30 seconds to open the 'open file' menu. Ion or MOS, or any other shell is WAAAY faster, even though the computer program had a 200 times faster processor...
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

I will have to agree with CoBB especially on Windows. The retiring of the old DOS based Windows was long overdue and so is Windows NT.
They are having trouble with programming Longhorn, since SP2 incorporates Longhorn Technology they started earlier before with SP2. It was built from XP before they decided to build it on SP2.
I think NT is being too overused. I tihnk it's time Microsoft made a new OS core for their next next gen Windows... NT is "decent" but ... there needs to be a stopping point.
"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the nazgul. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Also you must see what is happening. Microsoft could NOT care less about performance, all they care about is bringing in the $$$.

From a business perspective it would be against their interests to release an OS that would run fast and remain stable for 10 years ... because their annual sales would drop dramatically.

It really is a dirty trick, i have a feeling that there is all sorts of performance traps built into windows. Most likely stuff based on time, processor type, how long the OS has been installed etc.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

There are a number of reasons why Windows slows down. As long as you prune it from time to time and keep it clean, you can have Windows running for a good long time.
In fact, we've had a machine running Windows 95 since 1994 and only just got rid of it :D
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

tr1p1ea wrote:Also you must see what is happening. Microsoft could NOT care less about performance, all they care about is bringing in the $$$.

From a business perspective it would be against their interests to release an OS that would run fast and remain stable for 10 years ... because their annual sales would drop dramatically.

It really is a dirty trick, i have a feeling that there is all sorts of performance traps built into windows. Most likely stuff based on time, processor type, how long the OS has been installed etc.
Actually Ben does have a good reason there. I would keep in mind too that Windows has a LOT of hardware and software to support. But still I agree that it would be nice if Windows could actually support all those devices made for it. It's improving i'd say but Microsoft needs to pick it up at a faster pace.
Also, Windows isn't stable so people buy it hoping it would be more stable. Is stability all that matters now? I think it's the features in the OS that counts... if only M$ got that.. :(
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Features of the OS? The OS should do nothing more than provide a stable and robust base platform for running programs, storing data and providing an interface to the hardware. The rest should be separable and replaceable.
currahee
Calc Wizard

Post by currahee »

So I take it then, that the MacOS X and Windows XP are both evil platforms? :?:
DarkAuron
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by DarkAuron »

Anything that was produced mostly from greed instead of compassion is evil. We the calc programmers aren't capable of having greed, except maybe fame.. but we sure as hell aren't getting paid to do this stuff; we do it for FUN! Microsoft does it for money it doesn't really need (rich !@#$!$s!).
[Gridwars Score] - E: 1860037 M: 716641 H: 261194
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

strangely, I got yesterday a conversation over getting money for our games, and we agreed that it would be nice, since we have so high rents to pay :P so I wouldn't mind
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I cant imagine charging for a calc game O_o.