Windows Vista Voer Already...?

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

findstr always worked fine for that, but .NET command line tool is pwn.
Regardless, to new computer users and to your average joe, Vista will offer a lot of improvements, I'm sure. And since this means developers will need to be targeting Vista for their applications
Nope, it's backwards compatible with XP applications.

Dual boot ftw, so I'm getting premium edition as we speak. Hopefully it's 100% less crap than the last beta build I tried. (no my lan card isn't a 56k modem nor a wifi card, thank you very much Vista driver detection)
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

I guess I'll try out Vista when they shelve it here in April (or after I get a second HDD). Granted all drafting/programming platforms I need are still listed as XP-only, but it would be worth it just to try out. And a price discount doesn't hurt either. Would probably try getting into VB 2005 and .net again.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
the_unknown_one
Calc Master

Post by the_unknown_one »

You know what sucks? No DirectX 10 for XP! Outrageous...
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

You never paid to have D3D 10 or DX10 (if it will even be called that) support, so it's not all that outrageous. If you have hardware that benefits from D3D 10 or DX10/whatever then you can run Vista anyways.

Premium edition is in, will install when I get home.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Vista uses a completely different display driver model to previous versions of Windows, and as you can imagine Direct3D is rather heavily tied to it.

Some of the new features of Direct3D 10 are things like not losing devices when another app uses the video hardware, as under the new driver model the video hardware is a shared resource. The only way to get this sort of behaviour to work under XP would be to backport Vista's new driver model. I can't see this happening.

Here's an article that describes some of the D3D10 changes.

(Oh, and as hop mentioned, DX10 doesn't really exist as such - only D3D10).
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Demonstration of Vista installation:

http://www.youtube.com/v/FVbf9tOGwno

edit:

Installed, first impression: installation was pie but this sucks. I'm going to make a list of reasons why. later.