spammers

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

anykey
Extreme Poster

spammers

Post by anykey »

We've got some spammers...
I'm pretty sure they're real people, not bots.
I think, therefore iMac
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

How come you think so?

Banned them btw.
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

Spammer and human never belong in the same sentence.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Dwedit wrote:Spammer and human never belong in the same sentence.
Wrong, you can even get paid for it.
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

Once you start spamming, you've trashed your soul to the point that you are no longer a human, and now should just get on the trains to the concentration camps.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

kv83 wrote:How come you think so?
Because I can smell their fear.
I think, therefore iMac
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

why do they spam this on a programmers forum anyway, its not like we will look at that crap, they'd have better chances at, say, a WoW forum
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

They don't care if you look at it at all. It's to boost google ratings. When google bots crawl those pages they notice those links, and so google then thinks that that link is more important than others and will increase its chances of getting raised on google searches.

The only reason any of them try to make it look like a human posted is to delay deletion. I doubt this spammer even knows what this forum is, its just a bot.

Edit: I enabled user activation and got user shield.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

its still spamming, well the other one is

and I had an idea, its probably not good but I rarely have a good idea..
What if there was to be a special group of people with the power to delete posts (meant to delete spam quickly)?
ofcourse many would seek to abuse such power, so it should be a select group of reasonable people.. like, say, Timendus (if he wants to and everyone agrees :P ) and AnyKey doesn't seem to like spam either
Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

About how many 'spams' do you think this forum get's a month? (I see it being discussed more and more, is it becoming a serious problem?)

It seems to be kept under good control as I haven't seen any. *kudos to the mods*
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

I would say that any spam at all is too much, but you can't avoid all spam..
It could be deleted faster though, and it annoys me every time I look at a thread because I think there is something new and then it turns out to be spam
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

phpBB mods to obstruct bots are silly, bot makers can go to phpBB.com too. Write your own protection for the win.

You are posting your first post and it contains link or image located outside this domain. Please confirm this action by selecting the appropriate radio button:
( ) Do not proceed.
( ) Proceed.

The few humans who post links or images in their first post can simply check the right box whereas a bot won't get it.
cartj

Post by cartj »

I would say that any spam at all is too much, but you can't avoid all spam..
It could be deleted faster though, and it annoys me every time I look at a thread because I think there is something new and then it turns out to be spam
I agree with king harold. I still see about four spammers out there that all appear to be from the same place.
silver calc

Post by silver calc »

you could block their IP addresses, since it seems they come from the same place (or a few of the same places).

Edit: he he, read the second post.
Please "encourage" me to work more on Image any way you deem necessary
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

hop wrote:phpBB mods to obstruct bots are silly, bot makers can go to phpBB.com too. Write your own protection for the win.

You are posting your first post and it contains link or image located outside this domain. Please confirm this action by selecting the appropriate radio button:
( ) Do not proceed.
( ) Proceed.

The few humans who post links or images in their first post can simply check the right box whereas a bot won't get it.
Yeah we did that at revsoft and I think kv83 did it here. And it worked for a while but it doesn't take 5 minutes for a bot maker to implement that.

User activation and User shield work really well at revsoft. User shield prevents my forum babies from seeing those nasty unactivated spam bots.

blocking ips doesn't work to well since most are probably behind proxies.

I doubt kv83 is gonna be jumping at the option of having a user group with deletion abitlies...