spammers

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

And it worked for a while but it doesn't take 5 minutes for a bot maker to implement that.
5 minutes tops. That's why you use hashed form field values, hidden values, and don't publicize your mod.
User shield prevents my forum babies from seeing those nasty unactivated spam bots.
Might be better to prevent the opposite.
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

User shield prevents my forum babies from seeing those nasty unactivated spam bots.
Might be better to prevent the opposite.
ehh? that doesn't make sense.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

To prevent those nasty unactivated spam bots from seeing your forum babies ('s email addresses,profile information, and even posts, etc).
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

...I suppose you could disable guest viewing as there is no intelligent way to really determine a bot from a human that a bot maker can't get around. Then again...who wants to goto a forum they can't see till they are registered.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Jim e wrote:who wants to goto a forum they can't see till they are registered.
Then leave out hiding the posts.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

I wouldn't mind being able to delete spam (and nothing else!).
That is, if it's even an option. There are probably better solutions.
I think, therefore iMac
Delnar_Ersike
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Delnar_Ersike »

guys, look on the bright side:

somewhere on the Cemetech forums I read a spam post that was heavily modified by an admin. If the admins see some spam here, at least they can have some fun... :lol:
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

I delete any spam I find
ImageImage
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

As said above, we delete spam as soon as possible. It's rather a tough call. One thing we won't do is allowing user to delete messages. Not that we don't trust you guys, but when deleting a message you'll also delete the IP.

Of course those IP's are proxy's, but whatever. The more IP's we ban, the less IP's they can use and the harder it will become to spam.

One thing; don't post a reaction in a thread bumped by a spambot if you don't have anything to say (Like "OMG, spammers!"). I don't want topics to be bumped without a reason...
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

kv83 wrote:The more IP's we ban, the less IP's they can use and the harder it will become to spam.
Or to visit, as the IP's in the list in your database are more static than those actually assigned on the internet.

Maybe gather a month's worth of stats and see if it's more feasible to block proxies than IP(ranges).
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

King Harold wrote:ofcourse many would seek to abuse such power, so it should be a select group of reasonable people.. like, say, Timendus
Thank you for your trust, but I'm not active enough on this forum to be able to be of much help in that respect. Hell, I haven't been on here in like a month :)

You're right though that I value freedom of speech to such an extreme extent that I would never delete anyone's posts :)
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS