.NET framework 2.0 Refuses to Install

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

.NET framework 2.0 Refuses to Install

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

Every time I run this package, it says something about the file "System.EnterpriseSystems.dll" not being found. I look in the directory it's pointing to, and the file is sitting right there. This happens on multiple distributions of the framework, including the one that comes with VB.NET 2005 express edition, so I can effevtively do nothing on this computer programming wise, including running programs I write.

Is this a common, or a weird error? How can I go about fixing it?

The error comes in (i believe) registering what it calls "assemblys"

-thegamefreak

PS: This is on WinXP, not vista.
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

An assembly is a collection of classes typically stored as a file (so a .exe or .dll).

It sounds like something is seriously wrong. Have you ever had a beta version of the framework or IDE installed?

What are the access rights to the directory that the "missing" file is stored in? Try giving everyone read/write permission over the dodgy directory.

You could always try installing the .NET 3.0 runtimes and see if they install.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

I will try all of that. Thanks. I didn't know the 3.0 runtimes were for XP by the way, I thought they were for Vista. It will take a mmoment to download though, so I'll get back with results.

The 1.1 framework seems to work fine, but it doesn't handle my program minimization properly (the window is reduced to a title bar at the bottom since I have it set to not show up in the taskbar. The 2.0 framework causes it to disappear like I wanted it to.) I was going to just edit it, since it was probably an error in implementation on my part, but the VB install I have here requires the 2.0 framework (which, as stated, is a no-go.)

This is a school computer (naturally, they have all the issues) but it shouldn't have any real problema since we have it protected with clean slate. I have to disable clean slate to install anything, and that gives be basically a fresh system. Something is seriously messed up here though, (not clean slate related) and I need to gather some more info and figure out what it is...

-gamefreak

thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

All implementations continue to fail when they get to installing assemblies. This is apparently a system specific issue that cannot be resolved... Darn.

King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

does that have anything to do with this?
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... x?mfr=true
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

I went around the school today, with the intention of trying out the Vista Advisor on different PCs. (We are a small school, so every classroom/lab has a good well-rounded mix of different makes and models.) I got the advisor to install and run a grand total of 0 times. That's right. Zip. Zero. Nada.

Why? Because the installer requires .NET 2.0 to run. Not a single computer in the entire school would let me install it.

Do you suppose that this issue has anything to do with the computers not being "up-to-date"? I don't know which of them have service pack 2 or not. (I'm not accustomed to seeing the changes, since it apparently isn't compatable with my laptop.) I do know for a fact that most of them do not and will not update automatically, because we had to turn the feature off.

(Why you ask? Well, when the normal students log in, they don't get a windows desktop. They get a Novell window with their fancy "delivered applications" that attempts to stop them from running anything but specific programs. Doesn't work well, but anyway... Automatic updates, being the pain that it is, continues to run in the background, installs stuff, and brings up that little window saying you must restart your computer in 5 minutes. Except they never see the window, because they have no desktop, so they can't click "Restart Later". The computers with automatic updates would all log in, let them get halfway through a page of their term papers, and magically restart, mercilessly trashing all of their work, not even bothering to ask them if they wanted to save. NOT good.) (long deviation, I know, sorry...)

I actually did manage to run the tool on one of them that for some odd reason already had the .NET framework, but the advisor crashed because it was a rather old PC and couldn't handle it.

So I know this has to be a common problem, because it turns out it's NOT specific to the machine in question.

I suspect it has to do with Service Pack 2 needing to be installed, because to my knowledge our campus-wide licensed WinXP CD only has service pack 1 on it. Can someone confirm this, or am I just totally full of beans? Thanks...

-thegamefreak

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

.NET 2.0 requires SP2, as far as I know.
If you're not running SP2, that's a bit of a major WTF anyway. :P