Halp Vista Is Coming

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

So what, Windows refuses to let you use a PC (which has been slowly turning into a high-quality media device) play any media at all and have it look decent? What's the deal here?

I don't like this at all... I don't think I want to buy Vista now until a crack for this procedure is found. (which better be soon.) I don't want to have to watch a Blu-Ray disc in a lower resolution, that kind-of defeats the purpose of the Blu-Ray Drive, dontcha think?

=thegamefreak0134
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

yep, it sucks and i am hope some kind of fix will exist. That said, blu-ray is terrible and has already kinda lost, IMO.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

I don't think you get to complain about taskbars when you use netscape and outdated IE at the same time while also using paint and the gimp at the same time and have 2 seperate explorer windows open, on a crappy one line win98 styled taskbar on a single monitor.

The fixes and hacks are and will be out there in a matter of weeks if not days, making the whole deal even more bs to actually integrate into the OS.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

necro wrote:and this is superior how? I don't understand your rational. with taskbar, I can access/swap dozens of programs, quickly swap to my desktop, etc, etc.
(light late nite start pane usage)
I guess you'd just have to use it to understand how useful it is. It's so much nicer than a taskbar.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

If you can't explain it then you don't know how usefull it is. "nicer" does not get more work done more easily.

A toolbar is fine too.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Funny how there were similar talks of doom and gloom before the release of XP.

I don't understand the "DRM is evil" mentality, so maybe someone could explain that to me. I fully understand "some implementations of DRM are evil" (Sony rootkits, StarForce), and as for Vista's implementation we can only wait and see how that turns out, but at a theoretical level it is (to my mind) an entirely good thing.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

I don't really see a point to switch. It's not a big enough step for changing from one OS to another... especially not if you have to pay that much again.
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

I'm not going to switch to vista. I don't have the money for a new PC, and winXP works fine. DRM is evil because it takes away rights from normal users too, while the real copyright pirates will just find a way around it.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

kv83 wrote:I don't really see a point to switch. It's not a big enough step for changing from one OS to another... especially not if you have to pay that much again.
Vista does fix quite a few problems with existing versions of Windows, and I'd personally appreciate the performance increase (performance in terms of rendering speed as well as performance in working with your computer). It's not merely a pretty new skin. Features like UAC are long overdue!

I'll be getting it, but probably not immediately. I'll wait and see what happens. :)
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

@tfg: all the schools k-12 had macs, I hated them. The dock can't run manage nearly as much content, and if there is a way to make it able, its retarded its not default (and we couln't vhange such settings.) I like to multi task and thet start pane=win.

So, is vista supposed to have higher performance over xp besides the fact its minimum specs are much higher in terms of gaming?
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

necro wrote:So, is vista supposed to have higher performance over xp besides the fact its minimum specs are much higher in terms of gaming?
I've generally heard that having a 3D accelerated/composited interface makes it snappier.

Compare Windows 2000 and XP. XP runs significantly faster on machines that can run it, but runs abysmally on low-end hardware.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

So i guess your saying it will. Hmmm...will .net framework 3 be able to work on xp machines or are they trying to kill the xp off?
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I'm currently writing .NET 3.0 apps under XP, so the answer to that one is yes. :) It's worth installing the .NET 3.0 runtimes for the .xps printer driver (Microsoft's PDF-alike format).

Direct 3D 10 won't run under XP due to the complete change of driver model under Vista.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

so what if someone took the Direct 3d 10 source code and changed the driverinterfacing part to make it work under XP? is that even possible?

is xps really that good?

(but I still don't like vista)
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

King Harold wrote:so what if someone took the Direct 3d 10 source code and changed the driverinterfacing part to make it work under XP? is that even possible?
I don't know. Microsoft don't seem to think it's worth it.
is xps really that good?
You don't have to pay for the official printer driver, and it's easier to generate from your own programs. It's just nicer to work with than PDFs.