Halp Vista Is Coming

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

hop
Extreme Poster

Halp Vista Is Coming

Post by hop »

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/p ... a_cost.txt

I'm sure all the people here who read developer blogs have someone else's opinion ready to copypaste in place of their own neurons fireing, and I'd like to hear it.

Or can we all agree that now is the time to invest in a top-end unrestricted PC, tons of frozen noodles, and a shotgun and try to survive underground as long as possible while WWIII(copyright law edition) is fought on the once green pastures of this planet's surface?
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

so are you saying you don't like vista?
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

vista = evil
i've tested it and it didnt look too bad, a bit slower then XP.. nothing positive about it..
Content protection is completely evil, back to windows 95!
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

I've read that before. I'm never upgrading to Vista until it becoms absolutely necessary.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

If the article is right then Microsoft isn't just forcing some crappy algorithm of theirs down everyone's throat like they do normally (where the tiny performance and quality hit aren't enough to ditch Windows and go for a less usable desktop environment), they're riding their consumer market position along with Hollywood to getting nearly full control over PC hardware development where the whole market is affected, Vista users or not.

To me the whole marketing/business side to it simply doesn't make any sense at all. At least I would hope that consumers really do drastically drop support for practises like those described in the article. It's just going to drive hardware costs up to "counter" copyright enfringement in a completely misguided (through a large deal between MS and hollywood no doubt and from there to the hardware manufacturers) management of "piracy" or whatever the strategic top defines as such. Similar misguided practises being the war on drugs and the war on terrorism, everybody knows that's not how the supposed problem should be tackled yet somehow nothing substantial is done against multibillion dollar yearly government funding going down the drain.

Sadly, though realistically, I do expect consumers to be more critical of the companies they buy televisions or computers from than their governments and the military forces commanded thereby. So I find it unlikely that this is going to be as bad as the article says it is.

I'd just like to know what you make of it.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

It sounds terrible, vista sucks and everyone knows it, DRM is a terrible peice of shit. That said, people ought to boycot all protceted media, or build some software to interfere with/kill the feature and block driver revocations. Out of courisosity, is it just blue ray that is trying to do this, or is it hd to and how is a disc actualy made premium as opposed to not premium?

And Vienna is supposedly going to use a damn dock system...thats one of the main things I hate about macs. MS sucks.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

You seriously expect us to read that?!
I think I'll pass.
necro wrote:And Vienna is supposedly going to use a damn dock system...thats one of the main things I hate about macs. MS sucks.
Me gusta el docko.
I think, therefore iMac
threefingeredguy
Calc King

necro wrote:And Vienna is supposedly going to use a damn dock system...thats one of the main things I hate about macs. MS sucks.
The dock is my favorite feature of Mac OSX. If I could get a working dock in Linux, I'd never use Windows or Mac again.
Andy_J
Calc Master

Post by Andy_J »

anykey wrote:You seriously expect us to read that?!
I think I'll pass.
It's a very good read. I highly recommend it. I read it a couple weeks ago.
ImageImage
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Andy_J wrote:
anykey wrote:You seriously expect us to read that?!
I think I'll pass.
It's a very good read. I highly recommend it. I read it a couple weeks ago.
As did I. It's well worth it.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

we all read it years ago, so 1999
Opinions, conclusions, or thoughts on the relevancy of the issues raised in the article to real life?
too long, didn't read
First, read:
Executive Summary
-----------------

Windows Vista includes an extensive reworking of core OS elements in order to
provide content protection for so-called "premium content", typically HD data
from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sources. Providing this protection incurs
considerable costs in terms of system performance, system stability, technical
support overhead, and hardware and software cost. These issues affect not
only users of Vista but the entire PC industry, since the effects of the
protection measures extend to cover all hardware and software that will ever
come into contact with Vista, even if it's not used directly with Vista (for
example hardware in a Macintosh computer or on a Linux server). This document
analyses the cost involved in Vista's content protection, and the collateral
damage that this incurs throughout the computer industry.
Now, go read the article because I know you want to.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

not really. words intimidate me...
*shudders*
I think, therefore iMac
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

the dock is the worst peice of rubbish ever. My start bar is always at the bottom, can be filled with dozens of tiny buttons, has a clock, etc. and is absolutely minimal in distraction for maximum readability and function. Dock is a giant obstructing feature poor eye sore that I don't just dislike, I abhor. Do you actualy have any reason to like that abomination? Id love to hear some logic for it because it makes me want to macs and put them on stools, take a stinger missle, head few dozen yards away, and blow the hell out of them for it.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

You can make it as large or as small as you want. The clock is located in a different area. It's useful as both a taskbar and a quicklaunch bar. Some people have made fake docks which are just quicklaunch bars. They're useless. It allows you to use one tool to launch and switch between applications.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

and this is superior how? I don't understand your rational. with taskbar, I can access/swap dozens of programs, quickly swap to my desktop, etc, etc.
(light late nite start pane usage)