Halp Vista Is Coming

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

benryves wrote:Funny how there were similar talks of doom and gloom before the release of XP.
And 2000, ME, 98, 95, etc. Each time with grounds of truth. This time if there's a ground of truth it's pretty fucked up to use any part of the OS instead of just the filesystem or just the browser it comes with.
"some implementations of DRM are evil"
How about Windows Media DRM?
I've generally heard that having a 3D accelerated/composited interface makes it snappier.
Compaired to doing the exact same thing without acceleration yes, but this advantage can be easily negated by using things like shaders2.0 for rendering notepad. Windows XP already uses directx/hardware rendering when available, right? This is faster than rendering Windows XP without it, but not faster than rendering Windows XP with 38475639458pixel shaders for the title bars. The rendering techniques are completely different, so 3d acceleration alone is not enough. Otherwise xgl for example would be quite spiffy, but it becomes more laggy the more features you enable or improve in quality.
what if someone took the Direct 3d 10 source code and changed the driverinterfacing part to make it work under XP?
Highly likely if XP was open source. I think the differences and implementation is too extensive.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

hop wrote:
"some implementations of DRM are evil"
How about Windows Media DRM?
How about it? I've bought a handful of tracks with it in the past and had no problems with it.
I've generally heard that having a 3D accelerated/composited interface makes it snappier.
Compaired to doing the exact same thing without acceleration yes, but this advantage can be easily negated by using things like shaders2.0 for rendering notepad.
I haven't used it myself, I was just going from what I'd heard from others.
The system gives each window its own video buffer, which results in less repainting overall, which I understand helps quite a bit (yes, the current system uses oldschool 2D acceleration).
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

DRM is integrated into Windows XP?
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

necro wrote:@tfg: all the schools k-12 had macs, I hated them. The dock can't run manage nearly as much content, and if there is a way to make it able, its retarded its not default (and we couln't vhange such settings.) I like to multi task and thet start pane=win.
I can't even understand what you're complaining about.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

Well as with most new hardware/software that will inevitably get shoved down our throats (why couldn't they just make linux more user friendly?) I guess the only real choice is to install it, and keep XP there for backup when it fails. I doubt that a lot of new software (commercial of freeware) will keep coming out for XP once Vista has been out for a few months, so the switch is going to happen regardless.

I think I can probably handle the Blu-Ray thing (I don't really see the need for any "extra" quality anyway, I can't tell the difference between regular and HD TV besides the aspect ratio anyway) so they can just get over that. My problem is that a lot of content tends to not need a licence, and since windows media player (when online) can't find a licence for it, won't play it. I've had that happen with a couple of songs I wrote myself.

I'm seriously concerned about where the user comes into play here. I understand the need to protect the rights of the content owners. However, when you buy a "Media Enabled" PC, odds are you are going to want to do more than simply make home movies. (I haven't done that once yet.) You want to use it to watch DVDs and things in your own home. I think the best "security" for the protection of content needs to be something that still allows the content to be delivered full-quality to the paying end user.

I just think Microsoft should reconsider. Of course, the article didn't exactly mention (unless I missed it) how reliable it's sources were for this info. Perhaps Microsoft simply reserves the right to do this with certain devices, if a weakness is discovered that becomes more than a minor threat?

I also wonder what happens when a game becomes recognized as "premium" content by the drive. Wouldn't that make the game rather un-playable?

I dunno. I guess we simply wait and see... Perhaps I should go install the Vista Beta on my PC to test it out now, just to see what I'm really missing... :roll:

-thegamefreak
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

thegamefreak0134 wrote:I think I can probably handle the Blu-Ray thing (I don't really see the need for any "extra" quality anyway, I can't tell the difference between regular and HD TV besides the aspect ratio anyway) so they can just get over that. My problem is that a lot of content tends to not need a licence, and since windows media player (when online) can't find a licence for it, won't play it. I've had that happen with a couple of songs I wrote myself.
According to slashdot, Toshiba is announcing a new HD DVD that holds a whopping 51 gigs!!!
It's like...one louder!
I think, therefore iMac
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

thegamefreak0134 wrote:(why couldn't they just make linux more user friendly actually work?) I guess the only real choice is to install it, and keep XP there for backup when it fails. I doubt that a lot of new software (commercial of freeware) will keep coming out for XP once Vista has been out for a few months, so the switch is going to happen regardless.
With any luck xgl et such are more functional by the time vista is released. I'll keep XP for games and get back to some debian based distro with xgl then. Seems like a better choice untill at least the first Vista service pack. Besides, everybody else will blindly convert like the sheep they are allowing me to see if it isn´t crap without investing my system with AIDS.
My problem is that a lot of content tends to not need a licence, and since windows media player (when online) can't find a licence for it, won't play it. I've had that happen with a couple of songs I wrote myself.
So, let me get this straight:
You recorded your own media and didn't have it require a license. Then you tried to play that media but Windows Vista wouldn't. Correct?
Of course, the article didn't exactly mention (unless I missed it) how reliable it's sources were for this info.
Microsoft's own documentation. -_- See links at bottom of the text file.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

threefingeredguy wrote:
necro wrote:@tfg: all the schools k-12 had macs, I hated them. The dock can't run manage nearly as much content, and if there is a way to make it able, its retarded its not default (and we couln't vhange such settings.) I like to multi task and thet start pane=win.
I can't even understand what you're complaining about.
I am afraid that I can't convey anything that requires inteligence to you.

maybe this will be interesting for some of you http://www.beatnikturtle.com/index.php?id=601, black marker can break sony's DMR? Anyways, I think it pointed out three very important points: 1. all DMRs will be broken by somebody 2. once they do, it will likely be shared to all 3: The more vicious the DMR is, the more it will fuel illegal versions.
Last edited by necro on Tue 16 Jan, 2007 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

You recorded your own media and didn't have it require a license. Then you tried to play that media but Windows Vista wouldn't. Correct?
Windows Media Player 9 running on WinXP. Apparently the licencing thing has been out for a while. I had it recorded as an MP3 file, which probably didn't help, but I don't think I did any protection of any kind, because I really didn't see the point. (Someone would be able to break it if they really wanted to.) Besides, all of my regular work (including random music) is free always, unless I write it for a specific purpose. I am a true supporter of the freeware community because I love how usefull it is.

-thegamefreak
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

Am I the only one who hates bit torrent..?
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

yes.
I think, therefore iMac
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Yes.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Yep.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I am, naturally, strongly opposed to using it to spread copyrighted content, and I "hate it" for that.