Remote Desktop w/out Windows

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Remote Desktop w/out Windows

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

I like the idea or Remote Desktop, I really do. Unfortunately, I need to run this kind of a program on a school network, and apparently our network gets in the way of the windows way of doing things.

It seems like this shouldn't be a new concept. Are there other non-windows created (but still designed for WinXP) programs that will let me remotely access the desktop? Idealy, the teacher in the room would be able to see the student's desktop and, if necessary, take control of the mouse and keyboard.

Thanks! I tried googling, but to no avail. (perhaps I'm searching for the wrong thing)

-thegamefreak
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

RealVNC. I can hook you up with a full version if you want.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

Nobody uses RealVNC, it's all about Ultr@VNC.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

I ment UltraVNC. The one with the fast driver thing. I have both. My brain is fucking wierd this week. Just on my 30 min drive home I SMSed my friend 3 times if I told him who's going along pooling tomorrow and some more times to say it's gonna be 30 mins later because I kept forgetting.

Anyways, plenty people use RealVNC though, not everybody always gets off from programs being opensource or having shitloads of functions.

I've got both but SSH is more fun. 'cept it sucks on Windows XP servers/hosts.
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

If you don't want bells and whistles, that's what TightVNC is for. Lack of JPEG compression is a serious problem, and makes RealVNC worthless.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

OK, UltraVNC appears to be doing something at least. How on earth am I supposed to use this thing? It's all confusing... I'm not even sure which programs I'm supposed to have running.

-thegamefreak

hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Dwedit wrote:If you don't want bells and whistles, that's what TightVNC is for. Lack of JPEG compression is a serious problem, and makes RealVNC worthless.
There are billions of fine VNC programs. RealVNC is one of them. Cry more noob.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

thegamefreak0134 wrote:OK, UltraVNC appears to be doing something at least. How on earth am I supposed to use this thing? It's all confusing... I'm not even sure which programs I'm supposed to have running.

-thegamefreak
its not confusing, it appears confusing to you, no offense..

it has documentation/manual, right on its site, you may want to read it.
the simplest explanation: install on both computers, set password, remember the IP, connect, take-over control

mess a bit with the settings as well..

things like ctrl-alt-del are automatically detected - so on the wrong computer. Use the nice buttons/key combo's for ctrl-alt-del (and alt-tab too i think? might depend on version)

its the best-working way to view restricted sites and play games at school/work i ever tried, but the frame rate depends heavily on your upload and online games like GuildWars and WoW will lag a lot because your screen has to be uploaded to you every once in a while which leeches your upload a lot. Shouldn't have any trouble if you have fast internet though
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

its not confusing, it appears confusing to you, no offense..
It's confusing to him. That's what saying something is confusing means.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

My guess is that I was trying to specify a port when I did not need to (or was specifying one that was tied up.) Anywho, I got TightVNC to work finr. In fact, that's what I'm typing this from. The framerate really sucks, but I'm working on improving that. If I could get toe other to work (I will try again, no doubt) it would seem to be better, as the wealth of options actually looks usefull.

-thegamefreak

thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

I've gotten TightVNC to work so well that I want to use it for the setup I had in mind. My teacher is a little less-than-literate in these types of terms, so I need to write him a tool that will let him select any computer in the room (Based on the computer's name, for example) and connect to it easily.

I plan to do this by assigining each computer in the room a static IP address within a certain range (our network works quite well with this setup actually) and then having the program I write connect to an IP address in the room when he clicks on the computer in the tool.

My problem here is that I don't know how to actually start a process (much less a process with command line switches, which is what I need to do) with another process. Can someone point out to me the basics of doing this in VB.NET?

Also (although completely un-neccessary) I would like this to be a taskbar icon program. Is this process similar to defining and opening a form? (Seems logical to me)

Thanks for any help. This thing is really neat! Whoa... I just said neat!

-thegamefreak0134

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

thegamefreak0134 wrote:My problem here is that I don't know how to actually start a process (much less a process with command line switches, which is what I need to do) with another process. Can someone point out to me the basics of doing this in VB.NET?
System.Diagnostics.Process is the one you want.

Code: Select all

Dim SomeApp As New Process()

SomeApp.StartInfo.FileName = Path.Combine(Application.StartupPath, "someapp.exe")
SomeApp.StartInfo.Arguments = "-switch value"
SomeApp.Start()
Handle the Process.Exited event to find out when the application has been closed. The ProcessStartInfo class lets you pick options. (Do you want to hide the window? Open maximised?)
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Cool. And I already found out that a notify icon (or some name to that effet) appears in the taskbar, like I wanted it to. I assume you create your own loop and simply never show the actual form of the program to use it from the form dgner in this fashion. (Although I'm prefectly happy having a form that I can hide/unhide for options and things)

Thanks Ben! (I should really start just PMing you these things, but I suppose others can benefit from them here, so...)

-thegamefreak