Forum policy

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Open topic again?

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 16

CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Last but not least, my religion beats everyone else’s, so there’s nothing to argue about. :P
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

tr1p1ea wrote:Religon, God, Abortion, Evolution, The Bible are all topics that were EXTENSIVELY discussed -- by the exact same select group of people -- 6 months ago in the debate thread. The debate thread ended up being 60-odd pages of that select few re-iterating their 'points' and their 'beliefs' over and over and over and over and over ... etc.
Who gives a fuck?! Why is that a problem? If those people enjoy doing that, or feel compelled to do so, let 'em do it for Gods sake! That too is freedom; the freedom to get annoyed by people and the freedom to piss other people off!

Also; none of you have answered my damned question! What is the policy on closing threads? Of course you have every right to close whatever topics you like, since you're staff and we're just visitors, all I can do is talk you out of it with moralistic mumbojumbo about freedom of speech, but I'd like to know what I'm up for!

Do you even know amongst yourselves what is good and what is not good? Have you ever discussed that? Can you predict what other mods would close or condone?
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

tr1p1ea wrote:Religon, God, Abortion, Evolution, The Bible are all topics that were EXTENSIVELY discussed -- by the exact same select group of people -- 6 months ago in the debate thread. The debate thread ended up being 60-odd pages of that select few re-iterating their 'points' and their 'beliefs' over and over and over and over and over ... etc.

necro: Even though you *claim* to have started nothing more than an educated discussion, posting something to the effect of "God is evil and the Bible is a joke" is only going to offend people, and you know this damn well.
actualy, I posted something to the effect of "I have heard people speak about a relgion from a light these passages seem to completely contradict, and it paints my perception of god as evil." With the question of agree or disagree and why (I never said the bible was a joke.)

I do think that if you hate any discussion of relgion itd actualy be in the rules of the board...and as far as only certain members discussing, well, new members have joined whom never had discussed such things.
cartj

Post by cartj »

Floodkiller wrote:
hop wrote:Calculators, web design, hosting, programming, game consoles, and videogames, have also been extensively discussed. Enough is enough, close all the topics!
Lol, but since this forum is about all of the above (mostly all of the above anyway), it seems that you would be free to debate about that.

Besides, I side with tr1p and all the others who agree that the topic should be closed. Nothing good ever comes out of religious discussions that try to change peoples mind's, mostly because everyone who participates already has their own mindset on how it should work, and won't even slightly budge from their opinion.
I agree with floodkiller and voted that the topic stay closed. He is right that no one will ever budge on they're opinion. I posted in that topic mainly to show my opposition. I didn't provide pages of "evidence", because I knew it would do no good. I have already done my research and if someone wants to discuss it with me they should do it somewhere else.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Timendus wrote:
Who gives a fuck?! Why is that a problem? If those people enjoy doing that, or feel compelled to do so, let 'em do it for Gods sake! That too is freedom; the freedom to get annoyed by people and the freedom to piss other people off!

Also; none of you have answered my damned question! What is the policy on closing threads? Of course you have every right to close whatever topics you like, since you're staff and we're just visitors, all I can do is talk you out of it with moralistic mumbojumbo about freedom of speech, but I'd like to know what I'm up for!

Do you even know amongst yourselves what is good and what is not good? Have you ever discussed that? Can you predict what other mods would close or condone?
1) What is all this 'freedom' talk? You are NOT free to do and say whatever you wish on these boards. You are ESPECIALLY not 'free' to 'annoy and piss people off'.

2) The policy on locking threads is generally at our discreation. We hope that members would use some common sense when posting. When topics are a bit controversial or things start to become a little heated, its best to shut them down.

3) Yes we discuss a lot of things, and we do quite often. We try our best to keep this place enjoyable for all our members. Not just a select few.

4) If you have a problem with a forum related issue, dont create a new thread panning about it, PM a moderator to place forth your concerns. We take this job very seriously and will gladly listen to anything you have say.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

We adopt a very similar policy at UnitedTI quite successfully. And I must say, dead horse beatings are at a record low.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

(just like overal activity?)

and i would think that a debate requires common sense...other wise the debate would have been something like this:

"god is the suckzor and evil cause I say so" "no he isn't" "well, your dumb" "well, your dumber and a baseball bat" "liar" "well, um, to understand where I am coming from, I beleive and believe in the bible too. If you've ever paid attention to a history class, (which I can't explain why they would be teaching theology in) you would know stuff modern people concider terrible was common. And the bible says so. And when jesus died, all the jews became wrong and their opinion doesn't matter...even though they are the baisis of the belief. And jesus was considered sacrafice so I guess god realy like human sacrafice alot...and because I believe his alive he obviously is. And just because terrible things are recorded as he edicts to man, it doesn't make him evil like satan, whom actualy is only mentioned rarely as DOING bad things. God wants you to love your neighbor, satan wants you to kill him, even though the bible has god commanding people to die left and right. basically, yes, the bible is full of terrors. And if someone would like to make an scholarly post, please do"

ok, the last one was a paraphrasing...but with only a few exceptions people normaly don't make assuptions their interpertation is the only one possible, and i know that people can change their view (I also was a xtian in the past, then athiest, now I worship his noodliness) Well, as I encourage people to question my relgion, are we allowed to discuss pastafarianism?
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

necro wrote:(just like overal activity?)
Low blow. Nice. :wink:
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

I've been noticing a lot of locked threads lately...
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

necro, this is not a thread to continue your 'debate' on the subject of the bible, so quit it.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Necro, why did you even come back? I remember this forum being about calculators while you were gone. Now you want it to become a place where you discuss your baby-eating habits and be so goth that you shit bats.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Now now, we are not trying to deter anyone from these forums, it is open to all, especially those who are interesting in calculator programming.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Tim, please take some pills before flipping again.

As said before, you have no right to post anything you want on this forum. Your registration is a privilige, and if are so obsessed about debating about your beliefs, please do so on another board. It only destroys the mood in other topics. Maybe you are old and wise enough to keep the line, but you have to keep in mind that there are younger members in this community.

Asking about our policy is also a real low move imho. But to answer your questions; it's simple. A mod can decide to close a thread every moment he wish to. General sense is something we all have, and we are expecting our visitors to use theirs as well. We don't lock a lot of topics, but if the mood gets angry, we do that to prevent fights, flames and other stuff. It works like a charm, since I never disagreed with a decision made by another mod and afaik that can be said for the whole team. I would have done the same as tr1p!

Now, Tim, you are a good guy, but you should work on your temper. The poll is, as I thought, for not opening the topic again. Let it rest, concentrate what's this forum about; programming and fun.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

LOL :lol:
*takes pills* :P

I knew people would think I was really pissed off, but in all honesty I wasn't "flipping", just - as always - trying to make people think about why they do things. And it worked; you answered my questions now.

I think, however, that I was annoyed with people f*cking freedom of speech in the you-know-where in general, and projected it on this forum. I suppose I am to blame for that.
tr1p1ea wrote:1) What is all this 'freedom' talk? You are NOT free to do and say whatever you wish on these boards. You are ESPECIALLY not 'free' to 'annoy and piss people off'.
I know that. And it makes me feel sad somehow. But I do respect it, usually... :)
tr1p wrote:2) The policy on locking threads is generally at our discreation. We hope that members would use some common sense when posting. When topics are a bit controversial or things start to become a little heated, its best to shut them down.
kv wrote:A mod can decide to close a thread every moment he wish to. General sense is something we all have, and we are expecting our visitors to use theirs as well. We don't lock a lot of topics, but if the mood gets angry, we do that to prevent fights, flames and other stuff.
I understand that, but I disagree that it is the best course of action.
tr1p wrote:4) If you have a problem with a forum related issue, dont create a new thread panning about it, PM a moderator to place forth your concerns. We take this job very seriously and will gladly listen to anything you have say.
I expected you to say that, but I'm a bitch and a rebel :)
kv wrote:Maybe you are old and wise enough to keep the line, but you have to keep in mind that there are younger members in this community
You have a point there, but I think young people should learn to deal with their problems instead of having others to protect them. It also teaches others that the responsibility lies with you (the mods) and that it is not their own. So it doesn't help either the basher nor the victim. Obviously, it's not your responsibility to raise children either, and you're not to blame for their general lack of responsibility and ability to deal with things they don't like, but that's why I think your argument isn't really valid...
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

You are ESPECIALLY not 'free' to 'annoy and piss people off'.
? I never noticed any constraints.