Some biblical weirdness

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

necro
Calc King

Some biblical weirdness

Post by necro »

Ok, just wondering if anyone has ever been to this site or read these things themselves...they are weird. I decided to take looksy in a bible after finding the site evilbible.com and I must say, god must be one very evil creature to condoned the acts mentioned. I mean, do christians actualy know what it says in that book, do they realy worship this stuff?
When you go out to war against your enemies and the LORD, your God, delivers them into your hand, so that you take captives, if you see a comely woman among the captives and become so enamored of her that you wish to have her as wife, you may take her home to your house. But before she may live there, she must shave her head and pare her nails and lay aside her captive's garb. After she has mourned her father and mother for a full month, you may have relations with her, and you shall be her husband and she shall be your wife. However, if later on you lose your liking for her, you shall give her her freedom, if she wishes it; but you shall not sell her or enslave her, since she was married to you under compulsion."
When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)
Lo, a day shall come for the Lord when the spoils shall be divided in your midst. And I will gather all the nations against Jerusalem for battle: the city shall be taken, houses plundered, women ravished; half of the city shall go into exile, but the rest of the people shall not be removed from the city. (Zechariah 14:1-2 NAB)
If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her. (Deuteronomy 22:28-29 NLT)
They attacked Midian just as the LORD had commanded Moses, and they killed all the men. All five of the Midianite kings – Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur, and Reba – died in the battle. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. Then the Israelite army captured the Midianite women and children and seized their cattle and flocks and all their wealth as plunder. They burned all the towns and villages where the Midianites had lived. After they had gathered the plunder and captives, both people and animals, they brought them all to Moses and Eleazar the priest, and to the whole community of Israel, which was camped on the plains of Moab beside the Jordan River, across from Jericho.

Moses, Eleazar the priest, and all the leaders of the people went to meet them outside the camp. But Moses was furious with all the military commanders who had returned from the battle. "Why have you let all the women live?" he demanded. "These are the very ones who followed Balaam's advice and caused the people of Israel to rebel against the LORD at Mount Peor. They are the ones who caused the plague to strike the LORD's people. Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves (Numbers 31:7-18 NLT)
I could go on, but i want to hear some thoughts of others.
crzyrbl
Calc Wizard

Post by crzyrbl »

I'm not really convinced that the bible was written by god yet, so my only thought is that it is because it was written by man.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

"My religion can beat up your religion." :lol:
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

no it can't, my religion is malluable. How do you beat up pasta...and it wants you to eat it. Long live the Flying Speghetti Monsters! Besides, the FSM is to busy making people happy with beer and stripper robots and delicous foods to try to kill another far more fictional god.

@bellow: locust don't eat spegheti
Last edited by necro on Tue 09 Jan, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Two words: locust plague.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
Stickmanofdoom

Post by Stickmanofdoom »

The quotes do seem very strange when taken out of context. However, all of the passages are from the Old Testament, the half of the bible that was written before Jesus. After Jesus came and died on the cross, many of the rules God laid out no longer applied. As for all the destruction that was God made happen, it was to destroy the wicked.
If you read the New Testament, God is presented in a much different light, as a loving, kind God.
Of course, you should expect to see passages taken out of context without an explanation at a site called evilbible.com!
cartj

Post by cartj »

I am sorry necro but I find this post extremely offensive. The version of the Bible that you quoted is not a commonly accepted translation and has been altered by many groups. By the way we do know what is in the Bible and we don't worship it, we worship God.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

Yeah, it has been retranslated to disguise the meanings of the terors and evils of the wicked god of abraham.

Regarding the new testament, god is still evil in it. He sends people to hell, commands executions for all forms of things, etc etc. The only reason the bible there is much cheeerier is because it covers a much shorter period of time. Had the spanish, germans, eglish, bezentines, etc included their history and "devine" messages from god to, itd be even more terrible than the old testament.

The entire concept of sin is to inspire guilt for natural thoughts and impulses, it claims even thoughts to be evil and hell worthy. It is a volumous series of terrors and horrors which I can't comprehend the worshiping of.
cartj

Post by cartj »

Once again we do not worship the Bible, we worship God. You talk about sin being an idea thought up by people, yet at the same time you refer to the Bible as evil. What then do think evil is? You seem to be trying to push me into an argument. I do not want to argue about it so I will leave it at that.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

If the bible, the only basis for the christian god's existance, is not to be beleived then nor should its god; if the bible is to be beleived then the god of it is evil by its examples So, do you not beleive it or do you?

Further, if xtians acted as following, i would cease to care. http://www.venganza.org/spread-the-word ... eld/video/
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Blah blah blah. Necro, I know you act out because you didn't get enough love as a kid, but don't take it out on us. Make these posts somewhere else.
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

I only didn't know the last quote. And that's also the one that surprises me most.

Most of these things about treating slaves and captives shouldn't be taken out of context. They lay ground rules on how to treat people that you consider your lesser. Which was quite uncommon at the time. In a time where we have the declaration of human rights, and where slavery has been abolished for quite a while, there is no context left to be able to understand how those passages were meant to be kind and respectful.

Horrible laws in an even more horrible time makes those laws humane. Even though I don't give a shit about the Bible :)

The last quote however is just Mozes being plain evil. But he probably had his reasons.
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
cartj

Post by cartj »

[quote="necro"]So, do you not beleive it or do you?
You know I'm a Cristian so you already know the answer to that. Really, all you are doing is trying to tick me off and that is not the point of this community.
@necro's sig: It appears that your job is'nt done because I don't hate you. Christianity is not based on hate or horror or any of the other words that you used to describe it.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

@timmendous: he was a bearded nazi? j/k

I suppose my point in this is it seems odd that people claim to be moral and claim other immoral on the basis of a book of beleifs which are vastly condoning of horrible things. If you don't try to judge others, I don't care or want to know what religions people are.

I also enjoy a good debate but it didn't happen...No offense meant at you catj

and in regard to the sig, well, tfg seems to hate me so my job is done in that regard (I wonder if he will say he doesn't just to argue)
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

My only gripe with the bible is when people consider it to be completely factual and apply it as a science. Why can't they see the depth of the stories instead of shallow literal interpretations?!
Unitarian Universalism ftw.
I think, therefore iMac