Some biblical weirdness

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
cartj

Post by cartj »

Ok man, glad we cleared that up. No hard feelings. I enjoy a good debate also I just don't think this is the palce for that type of debate.

Oh and don't worry, I try not to judge people. I am also upset when people judge me.
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

Oh, and just an interesting video (inspired by timendus)
milk jug scenario
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

For the record, to understand where I am coming from, I am a member of the Church of Christ. Not only do we worship god, but we believe the bible to be the inspired work of god, and thus follow the new testament very closely.

To clear things up and to say my bit, let me just clarify what was going on. If you've ever paid attention to a history class, you would know that the anciant days were full of war, captives, and the like. You should also know that slavery was not only common, it was accepted as normal life. If you'd ever crack open a bible and read leviticus (the main bulk of the old law) you'd see that every law has it's own purpose and being for the time being.

First of all, Israel had about the best deal going ever for it's slaves. If you had a debt to pay off for instance, you could voluntarily become a slave/servent (depending on your translation, I prefer the New American Standard because it is highly accurate to the original text, and is still quite easy to read) to pay off the debt. Your slavery ended after a period of time normally. At that time you could go free. Or, if you liked your master and wished to stay a servent in his household, you went through a ceremonial ear piercing and became servant for the remainder of the Jubilee. (a 50 year cycle after which all debts were abolished, all servents/slaves set free, and the "slate wiped clean" if you will.)

Most of the laws concerning the old times were designed to keep people in good health. The whole clean/unclean thing going on (if you actually read it) is medical advice.

The most important thing you're missing out on here is that the entire old testament was abolished when Jesus died on the cross. I can explain there too. Under the old law, you had to sacrifice something of value, usually a good lamb or calf from your livestock, to recieve forgiveness of any sins you had commited. However, Jesus is considered to have been the ultimate sacrifice. His ceremonial death (which was prophesied many years before and fills a couple of the old testament books) marks not only the end of the old law, but the end of a dinconnection from god. And yet if you'll notice, Jeses is still alive today. His victory was over death, wars, and destruction in general. The very things this site of yours tends to emphesise.

(I know I'm ranting here, but this bit is important.)
Yeah, it has been retranslated to disguise the meanings of the terors and evils of the wicked god of abraham.

Regarding the new testament, god is still evil in it. He sends people to hell, commands executions for all forms of things, etc etc. The only reason the bible there is much cheeerier is because it covers a much shorter period of time. Had the spanish, germans, eglish, bezentines, etc included their history and "devine" messages from god to, itd be even more terrible than the old testament.

The entire concept of sin is to inspire guilt for natural thoughts and impulses, it claims even thoughts to be evil and hell worthy. It is a volumous series of terrors and horrors which I can't comprehend the worshiping of.
First of all, god is never portrayed as evil in any context. In fact, Satan holds that title. In my understanding, it is Satan who inspires sin in the hearts of humans, right down to the beginning in the garden with Eve. God is without sin, thus he cannot be in the presence of it. In order to find favor with god, you must seek forgiveness for your own sins, which admitedly in this world are impossible to aviod. (Only one person has ever achieved this, and that was Jesus.) The reason for this is that a "sin" is defined as a direct disobedience of god's wishes. And the only thing he truely wishes is for you to love him, and keep to his commandments. Since the new testament is the new law, the steps are clear. (1) Realise you have sinnes. (2) Promise to have a change of heart (3) Be baptized. In a nutshell. The symbolic act of baptisim is where Jesus comes into play. When you are baptized, it is as though when the Lord looks at you, he sees his only son. Since his only son is Jesus, and is without sin, he can be in your presence because of it.

On the flip side to all of this, Satan is the very angel who wishes nothing more than for people to not worship the lord. Satan is the embodinemt of sin, he is the source of all temptation. Although you are correct in your definition of sin, you must understand that sin does not come from god (whom we, meaning also I, worship) but is a direct act against god. God wants you to love your neighbor, satan wants you to kill him, basically. Yes, the bible is full of terrors. If you'll read more carefully, you'll realize that it does not worship these terrors, but actually instructs you on how to steer clear of them and get to heaven.

OK, I've ranted enough now. If someone with more scholerly experience than I could clarify any areas I left couldy, I would appreciate it.

-thegamefreak
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

I still like the fact that in the entire bible satan only kills like 10 people (because god lets him, in fact) but god personally kills hundreds of thousands.

Any matter of attempt at justification of this or any other modernly considered crule and inhumane rules or actions enacted by him or in his name makes me sick.

No manner of context or history can justify this. Many religions and civilisations that existed for thousands of years before christianity where much more humane. Ironically most have been slaughtered in the name of a christian god.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Attempts at starting flame wars with respect to sensitive content is not condoned on these forums.

You guys lost your right for these kinds of things when you ruined the debate thread.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."