A Riddle :)

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

Tell me what knowledge it requires, and I'll probably be able to solve it.
Right now I'm just clueless :\
I think, therefore iMac
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

I'm pretty clueless here too. Not Pr0n at least gives you a push in the right direction. (I got to level 4 there in about 2 minutes.) I googled the text on the bg image on the first page of yours and got offered to buy games, which didn't help at all.

I've tried everything I could think of. I looked at the 404 page (apparently nothing there at all) and I went to far as to look at the bg image in hex editor, still no luck. I'm afraid you've got me stumped on puzzle one.

Any sort of hint at this point would be very greatly appreciated... Like (mainly) if it's a keyword I'm looking for, where or how do I need to enter it?

-thegamefreak0134
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Someone's at level 4, that is the furthest I know of.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

I'm guessing the puzzle is completely fake, and unless I see any evidence otherwise, I'll assume that this is an extremely successful troll, and I'll lock the thread.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

You caught me. I trolled my own forums, then I came here and Andy_J just decided to play along. Then I convinced several people at UTI to go with it as well.

Really, it's all an elaborate scam. Everyone involved has been sworn to secrecy, so if asked if they are, they'll deny it and pretend like they have no idea what you are talking about.
KevinJB | RevSoft
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

I suggest everybody constantly runs exploit and brute force scripts on kevinjb.com untill the next level is found or the server crashes, anyway.
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

I already know of once person who's running a brute force, and another who said he was going to (but then didn't). You are welcome to try.
KevinJB | RevSoft
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Just to clear a few things up, KevinJB PM'd me the answers, for which you can see via highlighting the text below:
I'm done with this silly thing. Solutions below. Highlight to read, but if you still want to enjoy trying it on your own, don't.

#1 | puzzle.kevinjb.com | 'Let the game begin'
The image comes from /images...

#2 | puzzle.kevinjb.com/images | 404 error
A 404 error, when our image clearly comes here? Something doesn't seem right, how about we view the source. A comment telling us where to go next!

#3 | puzzle.kevinjb.com/images/1309 | 'A bit of commentary: Nice job'
A bit of commentary? Could it be a GIF comment? Open it up in GIMP (or Photoshop I would assume), or just Notepad.

#4 | puzzle.kevinjb.com/images/1309/0857 | 'Look closer'
Well, look closer! The top left row of pixels consists of 16 pixels in a row that are not white like the rest - they are either #FFFFFD or #FFFFFE. Turn that into a 0 or 1, and you get the ASCII code for 'cz'.

#5 | puzzle.kevinjb.com/images/1309/0857/cz | 'So you got here, what do you want, a cookie?'
Change the value of the cookie 'current_level' (which is set to 5) to 6 with JavaScript, then hit refresh and you'll be redirected to #6

#6 | puzzle.kevinjb.com/images/1309/0857/cz/jeyasa | Game over
Congrats to Jim E, the only winner (although he used a brute force on some of the earlier ones) - he was also the only one who shared all of his thoughts on the puzzle with me (how he arrived at the solutions), which was fun for me.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."