Odd virus lookin' issue

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Odd virus lookin' issue

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

I've noticed this issue with my current HP desktop computer recently. Whenever I go to start a process (double click a file, open a program, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete) it takes the computer anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes to actually start the process. The program usually runs fine (unless it is built of multiple processes) so I know its a problem with the PC and not just something hogging the memory or processor. Has anyone experienced anything similar before?

I fear that it may in fact be a virus of sorts (no clue how, its been online for about 2 days now, on dial up, and this issue was present before it went online) and am looking into a virus scanner as well as ad-aware and spybot to cover all the bases. However, I also have this icky feeling that my "Windows HP" version of windows media center was seriously comprimised by the HP company and the 1000 extras they installed on it without asking me if I wanted them or not.

I feel that this may be a common issue related either to the operating system or one of a few patches I've installed. (I have XPize installed, but its never given me any grief before, especially not like this.) If anyone has info, please share. Thanks!

-thegamefreak

PS: Yes, I'm typing from the computer in question. Yes I can run diagnostics tools if needed. I can also access just about any website now that I'm not limited by the school, so I shouldn't be nearly as frustrating to work with. 8-D
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

What does taskmanager tell you about the running processes and what's going on when you start something?
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

I dont know, I have issues getting taskmanager to open just like everything else. Once the problem subsides once, it doesn't happen again for a while, so its hard to have taskmanager open at the right time. Thing is, I can't pinpoint what's causing it in the first place.

hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Oh it happens sometimes..

Clear cache, defrag, etc.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Will do. Of course at this rate, it will take a couple of days to have all the scanners and thing I need to get it properly clean, but I guess the old scandisk/defrag combo of the 98 days couldn't hurt.

Is there sort of a process that starts processes? (Like when you click on the program name or type it in the run box, etc, what actually happens underneath to get the program into memory and running?) If there is such a process or chain of commands, it would seem as though something is tying it up. (Today it did it again, but when I Ctrl+Alt+Deleted they all came up instantly. Weird...)

This has got to just be a machine specific issue. Ideally I would clear everything out and re-install windows. Oh wait, HP didn't give me recovery disks, it gave me a little program to burn my own. Like that would really help me... I don't even think I have the product key for my copy of windows.

Ah well. As always, anyone with info post. Maybe I can scare the little monster out with enough negative energy... Nah.

-thegamefreak

Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

I bet some process is stuck at 99% usage, and is bogging the system down.
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

I'm assuming you've already rebooted with minimal processes.
KevinJB
Calc Wizard

Post by KevinJB »

Do the fans turn on when it slows down?
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
KevinJB | RevSoft
Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

Dwedit wrote:I bet some process is stuck at 99% usage, and is bogging the system down.
I agree.

My roommate lappy was in a situation where when it booted up, a certain antivirus program would stick at 99%, apparantly because it was damaged. I simply uninstalled, and reinstalled. His boot speed raised dramatically, and his computer stopped acting retarded.

Perhaps you can do a screenshot of the task manager? (printscreen, open paint, press ctrl-v)...
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

It happens sometimes when taskmanager is open, and every program has a relatively decent CPU useage. (System Idle Time remains in the 90s I mean, and taskmanager is up there in the list of high CPU users, meaning that it's not any one process.) Also, the performance meter that shows up has no indication of a process bogging anything down. Like I said, all programs continue to run normally. It's like windows is just lazy about actually starting a process, it has no actual issues with those that are still running.

This issue is particularly odd, although I've noticed it appears to happen whenever I first connect to the internet a lot. (Via AOL or the regular connection, as I have access to both.) Actually, that might be when it all started. I have both the automatic updates and security center services turned off. (I prefer to update manually.) I can't really think of what could be causing the lock-up...

-thegamefreak

Patori
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Patori »

format.
Currently coming up with a new signature idea... since my forum avatar changer was killed by an upgrade...
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Taskmanager can have a very high cpu just when you open it, it should go back down to a couple of % after a couple of seconds. Does it?

What processes do you have running at times that it happens? Please post a list including the running windows services. What processes/services are started when you boot Windows?

What sort of internet connection do you have? Constant or dial-up?

What browser do you use?

Have you tried Ewido, Avast, AVG, NOD32, etc. ?

Have you defragmented?

Cleared Windows cache/history?

Rebooted?
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

Try going to msconfig and killing a service you don't need. (run: msconfig, services tab)

Often a crashing service blocks the rest of the processses.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

I know I haven't updated this in a while, but I solved my problem. AOL is a piece of poo pie. I suspected it when I noticed it's taskbar icon was changing to blue (connected) even when I wasn't connecting using AOL in the first place. (It's impossible to share an AOL connection in such a way that a DS can use the connection, on dial-up at least).

So? Go into task manager before you connect to AOL on a media center enabled PC, kill all AOL programs, connect using the non-aol method of your choice, and proceed without worry.

I'm working on getting the program to not start at all, but I have to find a tool to do that (Microsoft Anti-Spyware can, actually o.O) and I don't feel like it yet. But anywho, problem fixed.

-thegamefreak

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Start->Run, "msconfig". No need for external tools. :)