Microsoft Access Query Help

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Microsoft Access Query Help

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

Urg... I can't believe something that should be so simple is giving me so much grief...

OK, here goes. I have a database of records that I have created in microsoft Access that contains a number of statistics and times and things for a group of mariokart players. The specific stat of interest in this case is time trial records. I wanted to create a nice report that would spit out the lowest time trial times overall, that is, give the best time recieved by any member of the group (min) and place their name next to the time.

I have my data basically set up as one huge table. Every record in the table has a field which is the name of the player, followed by 32 fields representing the best time for each particular track in the game. I want to calculate the lowest value for every field in the table, and be able to display the name of the player who recieved this record by looking at the name field of the particular record that came up.

The problem I'm having here is that I don't want to have to create 32 queries to calculate all 32 different track records, and right now Access is looking like thats what it wants me to do. Is there an easy way to do what I want it to do? So far I've come up with a query that simply returns the lowest time for each track, but I have no way or knowledge of how to display the name field for each one of those records.

My current solution has me creating 32 individual queries for the tracks, each one basically displaying the name field, and masking it out with a "This record matches the lowest record for the field." Is there some way to incorporate this all into one big query, and get it to basically display a single row table of 32 names, corresponding to the minimum values? I can provide the database if you need it to work with...

Anyone who can help me out with this is greatly appreciated. I'm trying to figure out this program so I can participate in a contest. I could actually write a VB.NET program in a couple of minutes to do what I need done, but I really want to get it done in Access just so I know how to do it. Thanks!

-gamefreak
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Upload the db and I can make the query and the tables for you.