Please consider the following

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

You know, I would donate something, if I'd have something to donate.. Sorry..
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

Why not program websites? You already have a PC (several wtf) and plenty of time to spend on it. Becoming a 19 year old professional photographer with your first camera seems rather unlikely, and if the job is such that that kind of profile does get hired then it probably makes less money than programming webservices.

Now, do all little bits help or not?
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

18, not 19. If I was turning 19 [ in Feburary by the way ] I wouldn't be living where I am living.

And I can't program worth anything, BASIC is nothing compared to websites and whatnot. I just can't wrap my head around all that stuff.

And professional? No, hardly. The paper would have me 'on list' and I would get paid depending on what I took photos of. They give me assignments, but nothing huge.
ImageImage
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Well, before you give the whole Peter Parker thing a go, know that newspaper photography is a very competitive field. Freelance anything is going to mean unstable employment, you might want to push them for something full-time.

One other thing you should look into are personal-style jobs like babysitting, pet care, etc. You'll probably be paid off the books and save you on income taxes--plus it doesn't get factored into your FASFA if you're college-bound. And some companies will just give money to upstart college students if they make the right impression. It's a tax write-off for the company so you're really both winners. 8)

Anyways, I've been giving the whole money situation a lot of thought myself lately. (You might remember me chasing dollar bills in the parking lot last year). My situation's a little better now. :lol: 'Still trying to come up with the next million-dollar scheme. Like Alex Tew did. Because I' m nuts for the green stuff. Loco you might say. Hope all this helps a little.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

CDI wrote:And I can't program worth anything, BASIC is nothing compared to websites and whatnot. I just can't wrap my head around all that stuff.
I bet I can have you programming easily maintainable php code in one or two weeks, plus I'm ~always reachable for questions.

Ok, the photography job sounds reasonably realistic now, but is it enough?
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

CDI wrote:This particular camera runs on floppy disks, which the newspaper requires images to be submitted in. Also I have no USB ports on any of my computers [ they were free, what could I expect :x I can't afford computers with USB ports ] and the manual focus lens makes it tons easier to get the photos they need.
Oh? I got my computer for free too, but that has 2 USB ports. Too bad you live on the other site of the world, i have one left ;).

I'm sorry for what i said on IRC about this subject.. It was pretty harsh.
That said, cheaper cameras tend to be automatic only.
My camera (canon powershot a530) has a manual option, which lets you choose focus and shutter time. It's pretty hard to make better pics than automatic with it though.. the automatic functions on these cams are pretty damn good ;)
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I too have a Canon Powershot (S50), and I wouldn't really classify it as "cheap". :)

@CDI: Do you go to a school or university? You might be able to pick up old hardware from them if you ask.
DigiTan
Calc Master

Post by DigiTan »

Oh right, I forgot to mention large universities sometimes offer paid photography positions in their papers. Would definately save on commuting time/costs.
My diet consists of nails, code-stealers, and HP fans.
Projects:

Robot War [TI-82, TI Flash App]
Sonic the Hedgehog [Multiplatform]
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

The school won't give anything away. And the cameras they have are all being used, or were auctioned years ago.

This is not for a 100% steady job. Hell it'll be just so my family can get a little help getting back on it's feet. Or if nothing else, pay a bill or two.
ImageImage
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

Arcane WIzard wrote:Now, do all little bits help or not?
Still no response on that, apparently. :D
Image Image Image
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

More than once I have said everything helps ;)

Though, PayPal is being mean about it and taking 5% of all funds >.< I would have $80 right now instead of $76 ._. $76 is still awsome though! [ waid a sec... okay, 5% of 15 is .75 and 5% of 25 is 1.25 and 5% of 40 is 2 that should only be a loss of 4... but oops :P I was thinking $64 and not $76 ] okay! Anywho! Yes, every little bit helps! If everyone donated like $1.06 then it would be $1 per person. If 100 people did that, it'd be $100! o.o or if everyone donated $2.11 then it would be $2 per person, and if 50 people donated then, it would still be $100 o.o

But in short, yes everything helps. Hell, even thinking about donating is a nice jesture
ImageImage
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

if all people on the world would donate $0.01 to me......... ;)
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

And I can't program worth anything, BASIC is nothing compared to websites and whatnot. I just can't wrap my head around all that stuff.
You would be surprised how easy it is to actually code in other languages. First of all, HTML is not a true "coding" language, it is a markup language where basically instead of clicking on the bold button you type a <b>.

Second of all, there are many many many programs that will do the whole HTML bit for you (Dreamweaver is extremely nice in this respect) and as an added bonus let you test any homemade code out right there in the window, and point the errors out. Not to mention the wealth of tutorials online and around the net. The best way to actually learn to make web pages is to keep away from the code until you understand it or need to use it for something. (Of course I prefer to design in pure HTML, but that's just me.)

As for the actual "Programming" of web pages, there are several options. By far the most reliable ways of executing script on a page are server side script (in which the server does some stuff and spits results out to the browser, like php or cgi) and java applets (which are client side applications from hell.) You should avoid JavaScript however, for 3 reasons. (1) It only runs properly on internet explorer, (2) It has security flaws in internet explorer, and thus (3) Many people either avoid internet explorer or turn it off. Those who dont keep people like Norton in business.

You might also be into designing flash bits for web pages, which is a nice thing to be able to do. I personally find flash to be a bit awkward to work with (I have action-scriptophobia) but some people love it. (You'd be surprised how many people I've worked with around here are just totally amazed at my ability to put a picture in that jumps somewhere when clicked. [sigh...])

Another note here, I think once you get into another language (C is good for starters, but you might prefer an extention of visual basic, which is a lot more like the calc version in terms of syntax) you'll discover that (OMG!) the language elements and logic operators you used on the calculator are all there. The only things you have to learn in the computer world (and many other areas) are how to display info on the screen, and how to get input from the user.

Never try to tell me that switching to another language is difficult. I get a little crazy about it, can you tell?

-gamefreak
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
CDI
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by CDI »

I never said it was diffucult.

First off, I know how to make webpages, I have made many in my lifetime. I can design webpages until the cows come home. But I can't handcode it. I can't test it with sub-sub-par browsers, and it's nice of you to suggest Dreamweaver... too bad the OS 9 version is out of date and impossible to find legally.

Ontop of that, I have learned, and know more languages than BASIC, but I know BASIC the best. I was never, and will never be, good at coding. I am always the kind of person that could design a game and help someone code it, but never code it myself.

So please, consider who you are talking to, before you start assuming I am some sort of n00b that dosen't know anything. I probably know a lot more than people give me credit for.

--

And how did a topic about asking for some kindness around christmas for someone who's family has hit a rough spot, become about them making websites? People always told me that I think too highly of others... learned my lesson. Thank you again to those that donated, or who are considering donating, it means a lot to me, really it does, and in my own time and in my own way I will pay you back kindly. As for the others... well... there are not so nice words for you.
ImageImage
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

benryves wrote:I too have a Canon Powershot (S50), and I wouldn't really classify it as "cheap". :)
There are lot's of different Powershots, the A series is kinda cheap (with the A430 being on the lower end of the spectrum) but they get better (and more expensive) as they get other letters and numbers.