I bet you'll vote this time hippie

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

kv83 wrote:
difference is no-one really cares in Australia, the place doesnt change much regardless of whos 'in charge'.
That's pretty the same everywhere afaik :)
With the single exception of the USA, of course. (At least, I'm led to believe after recently seeing an article referring to Bush as the "worst ever" president for turning the USA into the "most reviled nation on the planet").

Ah well. Myself, I'm just happy that smoking tobacco in public places is being banned here in 2007. I couldn't care less what people do in their own homes, but there's no call for antisocial behaviour in public.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

That's nothing. In new york, John Davis, a democrat, ran a huge smear campaign against the republican candidate, Tom Renolds. Some TV news station investigated it, and found that it was largely untrue. Then Renolds started publicising dirt about Davis. We'd get political post cards every other day critisizing one of the candidates.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

A well. Myself, I'm just happy that smoking tobacco in public places is being banned here in 2007. I couldn't care less what people do in their own homes, but there's no call for antisocial behaviour in public.
It's been banned for several years over here :) Only pubs/cafe's and disco's still allow to smoke over here, but iirc that should be over soon too
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

Kind of annoying since now smokers all gather right outside places, to smoke, which gives the same effect.

But smoking girls can be sexy so then it's ok.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Arcane WIzard wrote:Kind of annoying since now smokers all gather right outside places, to smoke, which gives the same effect.
Well, the ban is more for bars and restaurants - so moving them outside is not the same effect, as it stops people inside from being bothered by the smoke. Non-smoking areas do not work.
Arcane WIzard wrote:But smoking girls can be sexy so then it's ok.
Whatever floats your boat, but I'd always assumed that smelling absolutely revolting was a bit of a turn-off ;)
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

I mean that when smoking is banned indoors with the aim of saving non-smokers from inhaling a lot of smoke indoors, the smoking is focused heavily outdoors, where non-smokers are also free to walk about and get lung cancer. So you still end up inhaling smoke.

Also, I have poor sense of smell and though I don't smoke and never will and don't have any relatives who smoke (and neither do my best friends) it has never really bothered me if someone did. Pot or tabacco. And I have plenty of friends and collegues (I'd almost say non-smokers are a minority) who do, I barely even notice it.

If a sexy girl smokes, she's still sexy.
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

Arcane WIzard wrote:I mean that when smoking is banned indoors with the aim of saving non-smokers from inhaling a lot of smoke indoors, the smoking is focused heavily outdoors, where non-smokers are also free to walk about and get lung cancer. So you still end up inhaling smoke.
At least it's dispersed through the atmosphere, so it isn't as bad.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
Timendus
Calc King

Post by Timendus »

Well, it's somewhat annoying as the smoke is much more concentrated, and you have no choice but to pass right through it when people are smoking right outside the door... I'm happy they don't do it inside though :)
http://clap.timendus.com/ - The Calculator Link Alternative Protocol
http://api.timendus.com/ - Make your life easier, leave the coding to the API
http://vera.timendus.com/ - The calc lover's OS
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Yeah, banning it indoors was definately a good idea. It's been like that for a few years now in the state of New York, and it's nice.
Last edited by CompWiz on Wed 08 Nov, 2006 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
CoBB
MCF Legend

Post by CoBB »

Arcane WIzard wrote:If a sexy girl smokes, she's still sexy.
Not for me... I guess I hate smoke too much.
Timendus wrote:Well, it's somewhat annoying as the smoke is much more concentrated, and you have no choice but to pass right through it when people are smoking right outside the door...
It’s not hard to hold your breath for such a short time. :)
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Hey arcane, ever kissed a girl who smokes. It tastes like you are eating cigaretes... urgh. Nope, no smoking girls for me :) But hey, suit your self I guess ;)

The smoke-ban from indoors helped a lot imo. I worked on a department where all those guys smoked, and I didn't, so I had to sit all day long in a room with smoke, which isn't really that good. I don't care that I have to walk through a cloud walk once a day now, since I rather do that, than sit allday in smoke :)
Floodkiller
Sir Posts-A-Lot

Post by Floodkiller »

Yesterday they failed to pass the vote (for the 3rd time, I might add) to ban smoking inside bars and restaurants in Wisconsin.
Main Projects:
Zombie Attack: 20%

Side Projects:
???-25%

Staff member of Hikaru Rakuen Programming.
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I am fairly certain smoking in public is being banned here next year. Most restaraunts have it banned already however. There are designated smaoking areas at lots of tertiary education facilities as well.

Lots of people enjoy a smoke, which is fine ... but there are lots who dont enjoy it as well.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
dysfunction
Calc Master

Post by dysfunction »

It's already banned in MA. The smokers at my college really piss me off. There are signs all over clearly stating "DO NOT SMOKE WITHIN TWENTY FEET OF DOORWAYS" but they always hang right around the doors in packs smoking.

"You're very clever, young man, but it's turtles all the way down!"
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

yay, we killed smoking in ohio even after our bastard of a secretary of state tried to confuse voters. And he lost the governership even running a filthy campaign. Outside smoke isn't to bad but it is terrible inside.