NewFolder Forums

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

NewFolder Forums

Post by thegamefreak0134 »

Just to let you all know, NewFolder productions (consisting of myself and a few others) has a page. This is where the Pokemon TI project is going to reside, although I will still consider that to mainly be a maxcoderz project. The base url for the site is:

http://www.darknovagames.com/newfolder/

You should be able to find the forums easily enough to begin with. I post this mainly because I have never run a forums site before, and would like help from the admins here in effectively administering my own. Thanks for any support or comments. (I'm thegamefreak0134 there too, that's kinda universal for me.)

-gamefreak
I'm not mad, just a little crazy.

DarkNova - a little side project I run.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

It looks nice. Your collection of pokemon screenshots looks amazing, and the SSB for gameboy is a great idea. I can't wait to play them both when you get them finished. (I also love to beta test)

However, when viewing the site, it seems that there is an extra scroll bar for the title at the top. Other than that, it looks great. :)

Edit:

Hmm, on trying to register for the forums, it gave me this error 3 times in a row:
The confirmation code you entered was incorrect
I'm pretty sure I typed in all the letters as shown, unless there was one in infared or ultraviolet or something. If anyone can see a problem with what I typed, let me know. Here's all 3 tries: (click for full size)

Last edited by CompWiz on Mon 30 Oct, 2006 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

ewww...frames...
I think, therefore iMac
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

@anykey: why you no frame like?
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

This little article sums it up nicely:
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9612.html
I think, therefore iMac
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

First of all..
useit.com -> Alertbox -> Dec. 1996 Frames suck
Outdated generalisation, so he rightfully corrects himself here:
For new or inexperienced Web designers, I stand by my original recommendation. Frames: Just Say No.

With respect to the use of frames by highly skilled Web designers, I have changed my opinion somewhat: people who really know what they are doing can sometimes use frames to good effect, though even experienced designers are advised to use frames as sparingly as possible.
The fundamental design of the Web is based on having the page as the atomic unit of information, and the notion of the page permeates all aspects of the Web.
Looks like somebody hasn't actually read Tim Berner's definitions. The web is based on resources, not pages; those are merely a kind of resource.
The simplicity of the original Web contributed to its ease of use and its rapid uptake.
Not the simplicity, the interopability. The ability to combine a resource and parameters to come to a working result.
Frames break the unified model of the Web and introduce a new way of looking at data that has not been well integrated into the other aspects of the Web. With frames, the user's view of information on the screen is now determined by a sequence of navigation actions rather than a single navigation action.
Only if that's the way the frames are implemented into the sequential workings of the "site". In the www design it is equally possible/viable to have singular dimensional page sequencing with frames.
Navigation does not work with frames since the unit of navigation is different from the unit of view. If users create a bookmark in their browser they may not get the same view back when they follow the bookmark at a later date since the bookmark doesn't include a representation of the state of the frames on the page.

Even worse, URLs stop working:
blablabla
Plain wrong and in contradiction with the resource based workings of the www. www is stateless so any misworkings of links are completely the fault of whoever wrote the code for the page that responds to the parameters giving in the resource call (commonly the url).
frameset
Is just another resource to the web and can be easily used to handle all communication with it's (sub)frames so as to counteract the supposed problem with frames and URLs.
Implementation Problems with Frames
blablabla 1997 (and maybe even 1998) blablabla
Hardly applicable, plus due to the beauty of web resources any page with frames or not can be made to respond accordingly to a client request, which also contains information about the type of client, which thus also can be responded and adapted to.

<NOFRAMES> feature to serve alternate content to these users, but most designers don't bother designing two versions of their pages
True, but no designer should have to redesign a page just to implement two different techniques.
Print Problems
Can be easily solved in the usability design, even if the browser/client doesn't support frames or printing frames.
Search Problems
Can be prevented.
User Preferences
Many websites that offer users a choice between regular and framed versions have found that most users prefer frame-free designs.
Now the minority in favor of frames are insignificant, yet a couple of paragraphs ago a minority was enough reason to denounce the usefullness of frames? Biased.

Not that I ever use frames, but this guy is just plain ignorant in his generalisations/conclusions of how frames are problematic when all those problems are based in the code of the person implementing them into a web oriented software solution incorrectly.

Articles are silly, what about your own opinion? If you have one..
necro
Calc King

Post by necro »

Personaly, I think they are fine though I prefer non-static sites with tables myself. It realy depends on how the site is made and anyone who has an antiquated browser should just stay off the net.

So I don't use them but have no problems with them.
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

I'm working on making the frames go away for good, I don't like them either. I'm learning some php so I can generate the pages on the fly, giving that more clean look that I think y'all desire. (I know there's a scrollbar, bear with for a moment.)

The not being able to register is weird. Are you trying to register through a proxy or something? Cause I know the visual image thing doesn't work through web-based annonymisers. I'll go ahead and take it off though, I trust y'all enough. I won't put the visual confirmation code back unless I have someone try to hack the site or something.

Thanks for letting me know about that. Sign up y'all, if you could. I would like to get some real feedback through this. I basically put it up so my collection of projects would not clutter everyone else's forums, so there's the hidden meaning behind it. Plus, I've always kinda wanted to help run one...

-gamefreak

PS: The visual confirmation is gone now compwiz, so try it again.

CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

It worked. Thanks. :)

I'm guessing that it was my university's internet that messed it up somehow. It's done similar things before.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
thegamefreak0134
Extreme Poster

Cool. I'll work on the projects sections over the course of this week, and I'll let that serve as the official project pages for anything I do. (Thus, the topics for them on this page can die, that certainly doesn't mean the projects are dead.)

Y'all feel free to join and give me advice, I don't mind at all. I doubt it will ever gain the popularity of this site or others to which I have been, but it will still work out quite nicely.

-gamefreak