Firefox 2.0!

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

It's an smtp error either way. One that could be neglegtable or prevented if these scripts had proper error handling, or only called functions that where actually needed.
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

CompWiz wrote:Hmm I think that I get that error when I try to send a PM. The pm goes through, but it gives the error...
That's because the recipient has email notification of new PMs enabled.
Image Image Image
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

threefingeredguy wrote:*cough*Opera is better*cough*
congrats, this thread survived 2 whole posts before it turned into a browser war.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

That's longer than usual!
Nerds are very opinionated.
I think, therefore iMac
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

leofox wrote:
threefingeredguy wrote:*cough*Opera is better*cough*
congrats, this thread survived 2 whole posts before it turned into a browser war.
Hey, at least I don't use FF. Now THAT would be bad.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

Hey at least I don't use only one browser to supposedly suit all my needs. Now that would be just plain retarded.

I use them all.

gg
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

Arcane WIzard wrote:Hey at least I don't use only one browser to supposedly suit all my needs. Now that would be just plain retarded.

I use them all.

gg
true dat!
Browsers aren't either-or; they coexist quite nicely.
I think, therefore iMac
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

yeah, in fact, firefox can open up a link in a tab using IE to render it. Just install the proper extension. :mrgreen:
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I routinely use IE4. Huzzah. ;)

Shame IE can't coexist with itself... every version thinks it's the latest (so IE4 reports itself as IE7 in the about box and in the conditional comments - but as IE4 in JScript).
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

I havent tried opera yet, i just prefer firefox at the moment. How is the performance of Opera compared to firefox on old (windows 98 age) computers?
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

I run Opera 9 on a 166MHz PC (Pentium MMX, with 114MB RAM + Windows 2000) and it runs extremely fast once loaded (it takes 10 seconds or so to load, though).

Firefox doesn't even start, so I can't really compare. (WinAmp 3 takes a few minutes to appear, I haven't waited long enough for Firefox).
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

I really do wish that 1 browser would just claim dominance and kill all the others. Its annoying designing sites and then have to fiddle around to get them to appear properly accross the range.
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

That or the W3C should get their act together, of course. ;)

That is, given the variations in interpretations of the standard - even between "good" browsers - it does seem to hint that the standards aren't all that great. :\
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

I disagree, the W3C standards (though not perfect) are very clear and all the deviation of them are very clearly defined bugs. The problem is that these bugs aren't being fixed or if they are the fixes cause new bugs. This could be because browser developers have their own ideas about semantecs and standards, wich is clearly the case with Microsoft, but there could also be numerous technical problems with the (aged?) rendering engines. But it's not an interpretation problem by any means.

But I could care less about W3C.

Isn't IE the dominating webbrowser? I mean, even if something came up that was better than all browsers in all respects most people would still only trust IE because let's face it it comes with Windows and we all know Microsoft is the best at protecting our online banking practises. I mean, marketing people can't lie, right? Even my own parents flipped out when I installed firefox on their pc and it warned them that they where leaving a secured site, simply because it's not IE.

There needs to be something new, something platform independant and highly modular so a plugin or command line parameter could be the difference between a lynx like interface and your browser being heavyer on the videocard than F.E.A.R.

Doesn't even have to confirm to standards because then it would simply become the standard.
leofox
Calc Master

Post by leofox »

tr1p1ea wrote:I really do wish that 1 browser would just claim dominance and kill all the others. Its annoying designing sites and then have to fiddle around to get them to appear properly accross the range.
I object to that, because it would be a monopolisation.