Firefox 2.0!

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

anykey
Extreme Poster

Firefox 2.0!

Post by anykey »

It's here!
Not many changes; a few UI updates, this cool feature that faintly underlines misspellings, and a bunch of other stuff (don't use me as your primary source of information :D )
I think, therefore iMac
tr1p1ea
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by tr1p1ea »

Wow, pretty cool.

More information an a download link available here: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/launch/?ut ... postlaunch
"My world is Black & White. But if I blink fast enough, I see it in Grayscale."
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

*cough*Opera is better*cough*
Jim e
Calc King

Post by Jim e »

threefingeredguy wrote:*cough*Opera is better*cough*
No not really, just faster and smaller.

Honestly I was all hyped for IE7, but of course that requires sp2, so no go for me.

I've had a few problems with 2.0 since my update. I few sites I used to study for school didn't work completely properly, especially bad since I thought today was a test day. It doesn't really seem all that lighter than the previous versions, and a few extensions broke...ones that I liked. Extensions are the only reason I consider fire fox worthwhile at all. Otherwise its slower more bloated than other browsers.

This spell check feature is nice though.
threefingeredguy
Calc King

Post by threefingeredguy »

Jim e wrote:
And more secure, more standards compliant, and less CPU intensive. But I guess you can't live without adblock...oh wait, Opera has that built-in. I guess you need your popup blocker...oh wait, Opera has that built-in. I guess you need your Webdev toolbar...oh wait, you can download it here. I honestly don't see the appeal of the bloatware known as Firefox when there is a much more capable browser available for the same price.
Dwedit
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by Dwedit »

Yucky close buttons on Tabs, DO NOT WANT!
You know your hexadecimal output routine is broken when it displays the character 'G'.
Shadow Phoenix
Calc Guru

Post by Shadow Phoenix »

threefingeredguy wrote:
Jim e wrote:
And more secure, more standards compliant, and less CPU intensive. But I guess you can't live without adblock...oh wait, Opera has that built-in. I guess you need your popup blocker...oh wait, Opera has that built-in. I guess you need your Webdev toolbar...oh wait, you can download it here. I honestly don't see the appeal of the bloatware known as Firefox when there is a much more capable browser available for the same price.

I got a bunch of add ons installed already on FF, Flashblock, Adblock, Chatzilla, FlashGot, NoScript, FDM integrateor, video downloader, and so on. Are all of those available for opera too?
Life is getting better.
Liazon
Calc Guru

Post by Liazon »

threefingeredguy wrote:
Jim e wrote:
i like it better than IE7

for some reason, Opera crashes on my system. I don't know why.
Image Image Image
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

All those new features were already available in updates for either IE6 or Firefox. I guess they just needed to release a "2", so they can concurent better with a "IE".

What does IE7 offer btw? Anything special?
coelurus
Calc Wizard

Post by coelurus »

IE7 offers disgustingly blurry views last time I saw it when my buddy used it, never gonna look at it again.

And Opera is buggy. Firefox got its share, but Opera got them in the wrong places for me, I always notice them.
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

Shadow Phoenix wrote:Flashblock, Adblock, Chatzilla, FlashGot, NoScript, FDM integrateor, video downloader, and so on. Are all of those available for opera too?
  • Flashblock - you can enable and disable plugins from the F12 context menu (global setting) or on a per-site basis.
  • Adblock - right-click, block content.
  • Chatzilla - Opera has an IRC client built-in (along with the mail client).
  • NoScript - you can enable/disable plugins, JavaScript, cookies and various other settings on a per-site basis (right-click Edit Site Preferences).
  • Not sure what FDM is, but Opera has an excellent download manager with pause/resume/restart/quick download features (+built in BitTorrent client).
I can't speak for the others, though. Unlike IE or Firefox, you can't really extend Opera that much aside from userscripts or widgets.
coelurus wrote:IE7 offers disgustingly blurry views last time I saw it when my buddy used it, never gonna look at it again.
IE7 stupidly overrides the system default for ClearType (XP's sub-pixel font antialiasing) and enables it. You can disable it in the Internet Options control panel. The quality of ClearType varies depending on monitor hardware.

Whether you like IE7 or not, it's hard to not admit that it is, at least, a rather large improvement over IE6. They do admit that CSS support still isn't great, but they've fixed a lot of the bugs that were in IE6.
Last edited by benryves on Thu 26 Oct, 2006 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

I'm trying Opera atm... it's so slow... why?
benryves
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by benryves »

kv83 wrote:I'm trying Opera atm... it's so slow... why?
Given that it's generally regarded as one of the fastest browsers - are you running it in a 486?
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

IE and FireFox run both fine on this P4 ... It's fast starting up, but loading webpages is so damn slow =/
KermMartian
Calc Wizard

Post by KermMartian »

Proof-of-concept of Microsummaries in FF2... pretty cool, actually:
Cemetech Microsummary Bookmarks

I've had it for two days now, and I haven't had it crash once. Pageloads (ie, page rendering) seem even faster than 1.5, and the spell-check is just pwny.
Image Image Image