Snow!

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

Homestar
Extreme Poster

Post by Homestar »

Yeah, Trees are people too!

They live like us, die like us, even post off topic about nonsensical politics in a thread about frozen precipitation like us.

You bet they'll be voting next election on a recycled plastic ballot.
(hey, if dead people in Flordia can vote for Al Gore and John Kerry, who knows... just make sure not to dimple that ballot.)

Trees Rights! :D
Image Image Image Homestar just earned .75 maxcoins for this post.
hop
Extreme Poster

Post by hop »

Timendus wrote:They sure are the hottest party, but I would agree that there are more important things to take into consideration when casting a vote than the wellbeing of animals. Like civil liberties. Like our social security system. Like preserving our identity instead of blindly following the American (or European, for that matter) lead. And I agree that the animal party has some good standpoints on those subjects, but they don't have enough power to do something about them, nor will they ever get it.
You should want this party to have an influence on those subjects if you agree with their standing points on them. That's democracy.

Besides, if you really think they don't have enough power to influence important things, you should also think there's no problem with having them in government as they can't screw things up without the power to do so.

Also, not voting on a party just because you think they won't get power anyway is highly hyprocitical and degenerative towards the process of democracy. Just like families voting for an older party just because the rest of their family does, or just like people voting for this animal rights party just because they don't like the other parties.

Which brings me to my main reason for why this party being in government is so good. It shows that at least the lesser numbers of seats are still influenced by the people's votes and not solely by how the largest parties don't feel like doing their jobs. That there's still a bit of democracy functional somewhere between all the political drama bullshit. Bullshit like the parties who can't even keep a government working for it's allotted 4 year period somehow being allowed to decide to put the party, chosen by the people to have the second most seats, in the opposition. Yeah, that'll work.

Here's an idea: take your disfavor of an animal rights party gettting 2 seats that might affect decision making for 2/150th and direct it to disfavor of the largest parties that consistently do screw up half the governmental process.