Virus

Feel like posting Off Topic? Do it here.

Moderator: MaxCoderz Staff

CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Arcane WIzard wrote:
CompWiz wrote:
Arcane WIzard wrote:1TB drives aren't on the market you could get to yet, let alone $100, no.
I know that. Exactly why what you said was so rediculous:
Arcane WIzard wrote:You're not telling me that that + 45 / year is less than buying a harddrive for $100 and throwing everything you've got on it in a couple of minutes.
Why do you suggest buying a hard drive for $100 and putting all my data on it? First of all, you claim that 1tb hard drives don't even exist in the normal consumer market. Secondly, while they do, they cost much more than $100. So, it would take years of the Carbonite subscription fee to pay for backup hard drives. And these backup hard drives can also fail, so the backup cost for this method could increase further.
I didn't say consumer market, I said any market you could reach.

Fantom Drives G-Force MegaDisk 1.0TB 7200RPM USB 2.0 external hard drive: $650.00

CFI External Enclosure 2TB hard drive: $1,099.00

A good backup service: Priceless

Seems pretty reachable to me.

Arcane WIzard wrote:
CompWiz wrote:I will not get a phone call from my cable company telling me to "quit it." I can download or upload as much as the connection speed allows. My internet doesn't shut off after a certain number of bytes get transfered. It is "unlimited", and it says so in my contract. I've been using it very heavily for a long while now, and I haven't heard anything from them. That was what I was trying to say.
Ooh he has a contract that he can continue his "heavy use" on his 3mbps DSL line. lol. learn how ISPs work so you can re-evaluate your own opinion. I'm tired of it.
DSL? Not only did I say cable internet in that post, I said clearly later on in my post that DSL wasn't even available in my area. I have been using my cable internet very heavily for a while, with no phone calls or letters or anything. When I torrented a few software programs(ones I already own but lost the cd for, like the Rome and Medieval Total war games), my upload speed was being fully used for a while. I also seeded each one for a while, using a lot of upload bandwidth, like backing up does. I heard no complaints from my cable company. Where exactly did you get this idea that they would complain and kick me off if I use fully my unlimited cable internet connection?
Arcane WIzard wrote:
CompWiz wrote:Sure, there's some fibre optic internet connections around, but very rarely do you see a residential fibre optic internet connection. Businesses, sure, but not residential. There was a great special on the PBS station a few weeks ago that was about the net neutraility battle going on, and they talked at length about how there is very, very little really high speed internet available for residential customers in the US.
Ooh wow you watched a tv show. Good for you.
Well, in any case, there is very, very little higher speed internet access available to resedential customers in most of the US. That is the point I've been trying to make. It's true, look it up if you like.

Arcane WIzard wrote:
CompWiz wrote:You seems to forget: Hard drives fail. This includes backup hard drives.
And Carbonite's. Try again.
Oh, so somehow you think that Carbonite will charge me extra if one of their hard drives fails? If you read what I typed around the snippet of text you quoted, I said that I didn't want to have to pay even more to buy replacement backup hard drives. If one of Carbonite's hard drives fail, I won't have to pay any extra.
Arcane WIzard wrote:I also like you still ignore that gmail or other email services are free, yet cry about buying a harddrive that isn't more expensive than your internet connection and this shitty service combined.
Well, unfortunately, I don't know how to write a program to automatically make split archives of all my computer data, while uploading it to various gmail accounts on the fly(so as not to require extra hard drives to hold the archives created before uploading). Also, it would have to determine if files are new or were changed, and upload those too. And if one email account fills up, it then would need to switch to another one. Additionally, this should be done as background priority, without dominating my cpu or my internet connection(giving other apps priority in both cases). Plus, if I lose data, it would need to list all the data in all the gmail drives as 1 big list of files, and showing which ones were lost and offering to restore them to their original locations.

I really don't know how to program that. Is there a program that can do all that available for download? The closest thing to that I can see is Carbonite, and it is priced very nicely. Also, it eliminates the need for signing up for about 400 gmail accounts(how long would that take?)

leofox wrote:At the moment I prefer DVDs though, they sure are the cheapest option. And at 4,7GB an hour or so, it sure is faster than my upspeed (0.064 * 3600 = ~225MB, even at max) xD.
Well, in my case, I'd need about a minimum of 250 DVD+RW disks(factoring in coasters and other factors). Now, think how long it would take to burn that many disks. You'd really need a program that could put your files into split archives and burn them to disk automatically. Then there's the changing the disk 250 times to get a backup done. And you know, normal DVD burner drives probably wouldn't stand up to that for very long, so factor in the cost of an industrial DVD burner. And 250 good quality DVD+RW's are probably going to cost around $200, give or take a little. If you get cheaper disks for less, then half of them will probably end up not working. In my case, this would not be an optimal solution, although your situation could be more fitting to it.
In Memory of the Maxcoderz Trophy Image
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

Sigh, you're impossible. I just hope other people have the sense not to follow you. If you really need an online backup service, get a free email account and mail yourself stuff. Automate it if you so desire.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

To back up my data, I would need approximately 400 gmail accounts, as I stated in my last post. How long would it take to sign up for all of those?

Why is it that debates on here tend to stop just as they're getting good? This was the first good discussion in a while. Oh well, anyone else want to argue about something? Necro?
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Arcane WIzard wrote: However, your indication of 200GB harddrives' costs is way off or my judge of time-context in your post is a little off.
No. I drive past a computer-shop every day, and yes I do look inside. So the prices aren't the same everywhere, and they have no reason to be the same anyway. Guess I just have bad luck with the high price.

you can't even argue about this, fact = fact, if the shop here sells 200GB harddisks for €160 then it just does, no one*, not even you arcane, can change anything about it. (*: yes the owner can. but he wont.)
kv83
Maxcoderz Staff

Post by kv83 »

Just because one shop sells them at (clearly) to high prices, doesn't mean that your statement is a fact and true. All it does state, is that the shop is propably overpriced :)
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

kv83 wrote:..that the shop is propably overpriced
So it does sell them at that price, making it a fact..
Seeing as it is neither an opinion not a lie, it can only be a fact.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

CompWiz wrote:To back up my data, I would need approximately 400 gmail accounts, as I stated in my last post. How long would it take to sign up for all of those?
What happened to not having to backup everything at once? And I didn't mention automation for nothing. It could also work with FTP instead of SMPT accounts, and it doesn't have to be gmail either.
you can't even argue about this, fact = fact, if the shop here sells 200GB harddisks for €160 then it just does, no one*, not even you arcane, can change anything about it. (*: yes the owner can. but he wont.)
Fact: that shops sell 200GB drives for $160. Fact: a typical 200GB drive on the consumer market is not that expensive. You guess which of these contexts applies to what I was talking about.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

you're still discussing a fact there
and my point was that the 1TB harddisk is more expensive per byte. (and that will only be a lot more true if other 200GB harddisks are even cheaper, although €160 seems like a fair price to me.)

So, you're making my argument stronger, lol :P I bet you didn't plan to do that
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

I'm not discussing that fact there at all (in fact I further backed your expressed scenario as being a fact) only which context applied to my own statement. Something which I believe I am the best to consult about. Also, I don't recall ever claiming that TB drives aren't more expensive per byte than for example 200-300GB drives.

For example, I wouldn't sell your my own harddrive for anything less than $200. Does that mean it's a fact that typical 250GB drives cost that much? Does that being false make it any less of a fact that I wouldn't part with it without ripping you off? No is the answer to both questions.
King Harold
Calc King

Post by King Harold »

Indeed.
So what are you arguing about?
Anyway, has anyone compared the possible cost of loss of data devided by the chance you will lose it to the cost of any type of backup? (that is calculating E(X) )
I haven't, so Im not suggesting that backups aren't worth it, but there is a possibility that they are more expensive then the loss of data would be..
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

can you really put a number on the worth of your data? It's likely that the important stuff is unrecoverable, making it priceless, so yes, backup is worth it.
Arcane WIzard wrote:I'm not discussing that fact there at all (in fact I further backed your expressed scenario as being a fact) only which context applied to my own statement. Something which I believe I am the best to consult about. Also, I don't recall ever claiming that TB drives aren't more expensive per byte than for example 200-300GB drives.
no, what you claimed was that they were not available in any market that was reachable by me. To which I laughed and posted this:
CompWiz wrote:
ArcaneWizard wrote:I didn't say consumer market, I said any market you could reach.

Fantom Drives G-Force MegaDisk 1.0TB 7200RPM USB 2.0 external hard drive: $650.00

CFI External Enclosure 2TB hard drive: $1,099.00

A good backup service: Priceless

Seems pretty reachable to me.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

That wasn't even aimed at you. What are you? The center of the universe? You'll grow out of that. I guess. I hope.

Also, I already replied to that saying I was surprised. I didn't know they taught monkeys to buy harddrives yet, let alone you.
CompWiz
Calc King

Post by CompWiz »

Ah, but posting misleading information about your past posts in an argument is a great way to get me to post.
I mean, it isn't like these 1TB hard drives were hidden, and yet you go claiming they don't exist in any market I could reach. I think it would be good to recall that I'm pretty good with computer hardware related stuff.
Arcane WIzard
Calc Guru

Post by Arcane WIzard »

Obviously, with all the ability you've shown. Like paying for an online backup method, being unable to argue against alternatives like freely automated smtp accounts, showing nothing but inexperience and ineptitude in subjects concerning information technology and it's global market, and even being unable to be coherent in your desired use of this technology you're supporting so objectively. And your analysis' of the thread show a huge ability for reading and comprehension.

Obviously I should know you're "pretty good with computer hardware related stuff" by now.

Except all you're doing is acknowledging my analysis of your objectivity, coherency, and comprehension of this debate every single time you post.

Had you kept your eyes open and realised I actually do tell the truth when I say I know what I'm talking about, and not switched to passive aggresive defense mode to protect your $45 a year investment, you would've shut up when I said you're not getting it instead of continuing to work against your own case.

Which leads me back to why this is going nowhere. You don't even understand what I just said. You're that incompotent.
anykey
Extreme Poster

Post by anykey »

Arcane WIzard wrote:You don't even understand what I just said. You're that incompotent.
If we had some sort of quote database, I'd add that one right away!
I think, therefore iMac